Class 30 - New One Design

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
So this just popped up on my Instagram from the RORC, and I don't remember any threads on it just yet. 

Apparently its a new 30 foot one design from the boards of the VPLP and a joint project between the Union Nationale pour la Course au Large, the Royal Ocean Racing Club, and the Storm Trysail Club.

Also apparently ready to order. 

The boat is now fully technically and commercially defined (base price of the Club version without sails 94,500 euros excluding tax, One Design version without sails 132,500 euros excluding tax + options).
Weight it says is around 2700kg.

Any thoughts?

class_30_1.jpg

class_30_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
It was of course the tip of the iceberg, but its importance is paramount for the future of the whole class: "Our choice was to take a little more time for the study part so that we could start building directly with the series,” explains Yves Ginoux, General Secretary of UNCL and Project Leader. The boat is now fully technically and commercially defined (base price of the Club version without sails 94,500 euros excluding tax, One Design version without sails 132,500 euros excluding tax + options).

The construction schedule has been validated. Some good news has also appeared. Thanks to its power and stability, the Club and One Design versions are CE approved in the A4 category; a very valuable configuration in ocean or offshore events such as the Rolex Fastnet Race, for example. For speed and fun, the reduced displacement of 2,700 kg associated with a large spinnaker area of 105 m2 makes it possible to anticipate beautiful surfs.

The 25 confirmed pre-bookers who have secured their place in the production sequence will receive a sales contract proposal at the beginning of May. The first boats will be delivered at the end of the year and the production flow rate will then be of one boat per week from January 2023 onwards.

A

Amati

It was of course the tip of the iceberg, but its importance is paramount for the future of the whole class: "Our choice was to take a little more time for the study part so that we could start building directly with the series,” explains Yves Ginoux, General Secretary of UNCL and Project Leader. The boat is now fully technically and commercially defined (base price of the Club version without sails 94,500 euros excluding tax, One Design version without sails 132,500 euros excluding tax + options).

The construction schedule has been validated. Some good news has also appeared. Thanks to its power and stability, the Club and One Design versions are CE approved in the A4 category; a very valuable configuration in ocean or offshore events such as the Rolex Fastnet Race, for example. For speed and fun, the reduced displacement of 2,700 kg associated with a large spinnaker area of 105 m2 makes it possible to anticipate beautiful surfs.

The 25 confirmed pre-bookers who have secured their place in the production sequence will receive a sales contract proposal at the beginning of May. The first boats will be delivered at the end of the year and the production flow rate will then be of one boat per week from January 2023 onwards.
Still a porker at 2700 kg….  2700 lbs would be more like it.  :eek:

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
Geez Amati,

At 2700lbs, say you'd have a keel ballast of 1000lbs. With a 100m2 kite?

With enough breeze I could broach a 100m2 kite with 3600lbs ballast, 3mtr draft and 4.5mtr beam. 

What sort of sailing do you want it to do, confine it to racing round the cans in a bay? It's designed as an offshore boat don't forget. Light is good, but getting tossed around like a cork gets exhausting after the start line endorphins wear off. 

Last edited by a moderator:

pulpit

Super Anarchist

Amati,

2700kgs isn't a "porker" for a low tech build for a offshore boat. It is a little heavy the old Mt Gay 30's were around 2400 kg's including inboards. 

2700 lbs / 1350 kgs would be just down right suicidal for a offshore boat. The only way to make a boat of the weight work is go high tech in the build and a deep keel and run an outboard. The boat would have a short shelf life and the class would be gone in a few years 

If they have 25 confirmed orders then they must be doing something right with the boat.

Pulpit

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
My mid eighties 27'8'' 'cruiser racer' is an absolute fat bastard in comparison then, it must be nearly 2,900 kg, with 1300kg in the keel alone.
I thought 2,700kg for an offshore capable 30'er seemed reasonable.  

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
2700 lbs / 1350 kgs would be just down right suicidal for a offshore boat
You haven't spend much time in the Aeolos thread(s) then ;-)

I agree that 2.7 tons in measurement trim or about 3 tons with sails, offshore gear, fuel etc is perfectly respectable for a 30'er if a decent amount of it is ballast. The Dehler 30 and Farr X2 are around that range, as are older boats like the J/92S.

pulpit

Super Anarchist
2700 lbs / 1350 kgs would be just down right suicidal for a offshore boat.

You haven't spend much time in the Aeolos thread(s) then ;-)

I agree that 2.7 tons in measurement trim or about 3 tons with sails, offshore gear, fuel etc is perfectly respectable for a 30'er if a decent amount of it is ballast. The Dehler 30 and Farr X2 are around that range, as are older boats like the J/92S.
Mate, 

Even when you have a look at the Aeolos 30 the displacement is "- 1.55t empty but rigged boat without sails and motor" 

Thats still 200kgs + heavier than what "Amati" was talking about and the Aeolos 30 is a full on High tech build. Even if you put half (100 kgs) of the extra 200 kgs in ballast. 100 kgs is a lot to put back into the structure of a 30 footer.

Pulpit

A

Amati

Amati,

2700kgs isn't a "porker" for a low tech build for a offshore boat. It is a little heavy the old Mt Gay 30's were around 2400 kg's including inboards. 

2700 lbs / 1350 kgs would be just down right suicidal for a offshore boat. The only way to make a boat of the weight work is go high tech in the build and a deep keel and run an outboard. The boat would have a short shelf life and the class would be gone in a few years 

If they have 25 confirmed orders then they must be doing something right with the boat.

Pulpit
Would Olson 30 sailors, for example,  agree?  (From 1978, 3,600 lbs /1640 kg)  how about Antrim 27 sailors? (1996, 2600 lbs/ 1179 kg)  There are others.

I am not belittling the Class 30’s success- if people love it, that’s great. 

Last edited:

pironiero

I've became kind of sceptical of class30 because it's kind of expensive and it has no flexibility whatsoever, is comparison with classe 6.50 it has a flexibility of a concrete block, imo it will be somewhat popular for some time, but in the end the will be a box time class that will at last conquer that gap between mini650 and class 40, I'm betting on 950

1653084906909.jpg

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Would Olson 30 sailors, for example,  agree?  (From 1978, 3,600 lbs /1640 kg)  how about Antrim 27 sailors? (1996, 2600 lbs/ 1179 kg)  There are others.

I am not belittling the Class 30’s success- if people love it, that’s great. 
I suspect very few Olson 30 or Antrim 27 sailors have done long offshore races that require much upwind sailing (i.e. not Transpac).

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
X-Olson 30 sailor here (Then moved on to J-boats), Raced ALIR, which is around 200miles =/- and around the buoy stuff, won some Shorthanded could be a bitch, But with some of the new technology could come back as the boat to beat, ie a bow spirit with a roller furling Asym. a self tacking jib,, bigger rudder a bulb keel, Took a few death rolls and broken the spin pole in 1/2 in a death roll, did hit 16+knots a few times with the whole crew behind the Traveller 

Do you think an Boomer could sail one?

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
For comparison the famous "Cone" is (was?) 31.5' and displaces 2.3 tons. Scale that down to 30' with a volume scale factor and you are still above 2 tons.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
2.7 tons does seem a bit porky if that's lightship measurement... I get that its a production offshore one design but that still seems 300-400kgs over what it could be given current building practices, materials and techniques already in use by many yards today.

Anyways, they should be rock solid and hopefully generate a good circuit to follow/possibly join! 

Latest posts