Class is Cancelled

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
So Bucknell just told us our daughter will be finishing out the 2019/2020 school year remotely. She has a week to get her crap out of the dorms before classes resume online.

Yeah.

Bus Driver

Cunning Linguist
My son is at the University of Maryland.  His Spring Break commences on Friday (since he has no Friday classes, I'll get him Thursday), and students have been told to stay home until April 10 (at the earliest).  Looks like I need to go to the grocery store.

My girlfriend is a Middle-School Teacher. Her school district hadn't cancelled classes as of last night.

She works for Lake Washington School District . . . that's Kirkland. I'm sure you've heard of Kirkland by now.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
I bet they don't cut the price...
Not on tuition, no.

But they better be gearing up to refund me a portion of the dorm fees and the meal plan.

Unlike most parents, I'm not just keeping my daughter at home after spring break. Unless I want her living with her grandparents (turning 79 this year) and increasing their risk, I'm probably going to have to put her up.

Given the state of international travel and our state of flux, I don't think it makes sense to bring her to NZ.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
OSU is using last year’s lectures next week, after break ends.    No tuition discount.    Presumably professors will be encouraged to concentrate on research proposals.   Tests will be recorded like Skype, to prevent cheating.   

Last edited by a moderator:

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
My nepheq will he doin distance learning for the next 6 weeks.  RPI has suspended classroom instruction 

Bus Driver

Cunning Linguist
Not on tuition, no.

But they better be gearing up to refund me a portion of the dorm fees and the meal plan.

Unlike most parents, I'm not just keeping my daughter at home after spring break. Unless I want her living with her grandparents (turning 79 this year) and increasing their risk, I'm probably going to have to put her up.

Given the state of international travel and our state of flux, I don't think it makes sense to bring her to NZ.
You won't see a dime of that.  Nor will I.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
My son is at the University of Maryland.  His Spring Break commences on Friday (since he has no Friday classes, I'll get him Thursday), and students have been told to stay home until April 10 (at the earliest).  Looks like I need to go to the grocery store.
I was wondering what those with live away kids are doing?

If they are in student houses or share houses? March em straight back home?  :eek:

Clove Hitch

Super Anarchist
around and about
I'm set to graduate as a RN in less than two months (May 1). But I have 100 clinical hours to complete.  That's not a school requirement, it's a national requirement.  Clinicals for student nurses are already being canceled in Wash. State, the Bay area, and all VA facilities.  Schools are trying to splice the hours with "simulations" and labs.   I just want to finish.  I've already been exposed to TB.  Ebola?  Covid19? 

PUT ME IN COACH! 

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Berkeley has no cases reported. Still, they're cancelling most in person lectures (labs are still on) and switch to Zoom or Course Capture until after spring break which would make March 30th the earliest resumption.

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
Class, I.e., education, is never cancelled. 

It is the only way out of this mess. 

And thank you for your contributions to my retirement !! 

And ya know, if one were to entertain the idea of a little thread drift, . . . . 

we might take this opportunity to analyze (and spout off) about the merits of 

face time from a prof as opposed to remote learning. 

Asking for a friend . . 

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
This can be a big mess. I lived off campus at school and no way would my landlord have given a crap about school closing, rent would still be due.
Fortunately mine are both living in homes owned by family of their housemates..Cheap (ish) rent and probably negotiable. 

My Dilemma is who's more likely to catch this and transmit it.

Me (60) and working in a huge public Library

My Daughter, working in a primary school 3 days a week and at Uni for two.

Or my son, Small private medical college one day per week (Ironically doing a sterilisation course) Job seeker and unemployed communist the rest :D

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
You won't see a dime of that.  Nor will I.
I can almost...almost...see a case of them saying "well, if you live off campus you wouldn't get your rent back."  Crappy argument since those chose to close the campus, but I could almost see it fly.

But the food service? The will not delivering that meal plan to my daughter, there will be no delivery of services. They should refund a portion of that, since we're only getting half a semester worth of services.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
I was wondering what those with live away kids are doing?

If they are in student houses or share houses? March em straight back home?  :eek:
This can be a big mess. I lived off campus at school and no way would my landlord have given a crap about school closing, rent would still be due.
Absolutely.

It's less hassle for some, because a lot of normal people have their kids at home with them over spring break, so they just come get their crap out then stay at home.

For us, with our home on the far side of the world and our daughter looking for summer internships (so we weren't planning to bring her home at the end of theyear) it's more problematic.