Class is Cancelled

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I can almost...almost...see a case of them saying "well, if you live off campus you wouldn't get your rent back."  Crappy argument since those chose to close the campus, but I could almost see it fly.

But the food service? The will not delivering that meal plan to my daughter, there will be no delivery of services. They should refund a portion of that, since we're only getting half a semester worth of services.
I think refunds of student fees and residence fees etc are going to be the least of our worries.

There must be kids all over the world in Halls of Residence too far away from home to get home and with casual jobs that may disappear, no money to get alternate accommodation if the Halls close.

Even then there's the issue of actually not being able to travel or even go back home if they are quarantined...or if their parents are quarantined. 

How many of our 18+ kids have any clue about how to prevent cross infection inside their own home?

Lucky they mostly seem not to be getting too sick in that age group, but I'm going to worry myself sick anyway.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
I think refunds of student fees and residence fees etc are going to be the least of our worries.

There must be kids all over the world in Halls of Residence too far away from home to get home and with casual jobs that may disappear, no money to get alternate accommodation if the Halls close.

Even then there's the issue of actually not being able to travel or even go back home if they are quarantined...or if their parents are quarantined. 

How many of our 18+ kids have any clue about how to prevent cross infection inside their own home?

Lucky they mostly seem not to be getting too sick in that age group, but I'm going to worry myself sick anyway.
In our daughter's case, she has work study jobs - she's a TA in a biology class and she works in the library - that she will no longer be doing.

We've got safety net infrastructure, because we're Americans; she's not a foreign student even though her home is abroad. There are foreign students risking stranding who also won't be allowed to work, I imagine. She's got grandparents, aunts & uncles, and a brother she can stay with.

Then there's next semester's Study Abroad application for Tours, France to consider. Like my daughter needs to go abroad...but she's applied and wants to go. That whole thing may be down the bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Public schools in westchester county are preparing on closing. A number of them have made sure every kid has a working tablet/laptop. They are already planning assignments and at least two have 2 hr delays today for kids so staff can plan. 

Bus Driver

Cunning Linguist
I can almost...almost...see a case of them saying "well, if you live off campus you wouldn't get your rent back."  Crappy argument since those chose to close the campus, but I could almost see it fly.

But the food service? The will not delivering that meal plan to my daughter, there will be no delivery of services. They should refund a portion of that, since we're only getting half a semester worth of services.
I don't disagree with the premise.  But, I have no faith that money will make it back to us.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
Your university is WAY cheaper than ours. The fees are...larger.

This from my kid's school web site. Totals price before financial aid. image.png

So it's over $14,000 for room & board. We're losing half a semester of that, so ~$3,500.

This also does not include a couple of $thousand for mandatory health insurance, which we had to provide since we don't have an overpriced US family healthcare plan since we're not in the US.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
We're waiting to hear things like how they will execute the "remote learning" option, because they don't really have infrastructure in place for that that we're aware of. Will it be live streamed lectures, so you have to "check in" at set times? I feel for the west coast kids with 8AM lectures...

Or lectures you can download and watch at your leisure? What about small seminars?

It's going to be an interesting last couple of months. The ones I feel for aren't the ones like my daughter. The seniors are the ones taking it in the shorts here, losing out on all their graduation/end of year stuff with their besties for the last four years.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
The ones I feel for aren't the ones like my daughter. The seniors are the ones taking it in the shorts here, losing out on all their graduation/end of year stuff with their besties for the last four years.
That was my first thought as well.  The last month before graduating was my favorite memory from my undergrad.  Everyone sort of put it on cruise control, including the profs, and it was about savoring the end of the process and the bonds you've made.  I didn't bother with commencement but those days were very special.  

I had a couple of on-line classes in my latest Masters and didn't like them but maybe it's just that I am old school.  When you are in class every other day, it's hard to get too far behind.  The remote thing requires more discipline than I usually demonstrate.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
That was my first thought as well.  The last month before graduating was my favorite memory from my undergrad.  Everyone sort of put it on cruise control, including the profs, and it was about savoring the end of the process and the bonds you've made.  I didn't bother with commencement but those days were very special.  

I had a couple of on-line classes in my latest Masters and didn't like them but maybe it's just that I am old school.  When you are in class every other day, it's hard to get too far behind.  The remote thing requires more discipline than I usually demonstrate.
I went to graduation with the future Dr. Mrs. B.J.

graduation1988.jpg

Unfortunately a cousin of mine that I was close to decided it would "make sense" to have her wedding the same weekend as my graduation, and I was in the wedding party. It screwed with a few things graduation weekend, but my girlfriend was a sport and came to the wedding anyway.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
I have a couple relatives with pretty serious health issues that also need help, so it isn't like we can just stay away from them :(
That's one of my conflicts with this. My parents are like "sure, send her here as long as you need which is great." When I told my dad my concerns - that older people are more at risk, he was like "Yeah, but that's only if your over 80 and not well. We're pretty healthy."

At which point I reminded him the COVID-19 virus isn't going to check his ID to see that he's only 78 then leave him alone... Mom turns 79 today.

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
We're waiting to hear things like how they will execute the "remote learning" option because they don't really have an infrastructure in place for that that we're aware of. Will it be live-streamed lectures, so you have to "check-in" at set times? I feel for the west coast kids with 8AM lectures...
The technology has been in place for a very long time.  Many of the for-profit and distance/online learning programs have been on the leading edge of this. I believe that Bucknell has an on-line learning program already in place so you should be OK. If not, this may be the catalyst to get the old guard off their collective asses and get with the program and realize that the YouTube generation is here and this is how they want to be taught. 

Understandably you're still going to need labs and a campus presence, but do you really need to sit there and listen to some dodgy old pompous fart lecture on Keynesian economics from a syllabus they haven't changed since Carter administration?

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
So Bucknell just told us our daughter will be finishing out the 2019/2020 school year remotely. She has a week to get her crap out of the dorms before classes resume online.

Yeah.
I hope you DO get R&B refunded - that's almost as expensive as the blessed tuition! 

I'm set to graduate as a RN in less than two months (May 1). But I have 100 clinical hours to complete.  That's not a school requirement, it's a national requirement.  Clinicals for student nurses are already being canceled in Wash. State, the Bay area, and all VA facilities.  Schools are trying to splice the hours with "simulations" and labs.   I just want to finish.  I've already been exposed to TB.  Ebola?  Covid19? 

PUT ME IN COACH! 
I hope you're able to get the hours in CH.  Is this a career change for you?   

Dog

Super Anarchist
So Bucknell just told us our daughter will be finishing out the 2019/2020 school year remotely. She has a week to get her crap out of the dorms before classes resume online.

Yeah.
Are you getting a refund on room and board?

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
Absolutely.

It's less hassle for some, because a lot of normal people have their kids at home with them over spring break, so they just come get their crap out then stay at home.

For us, with our home on the far side of the world and our daughter looking for summer internships (so we weren't planning to bring her home at the end of theyear) it's more problematic.
The "you'd still pay rent if you lived in town" might fly IF the landlord in this case hadn't told you to vacate. 

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
To paraprhase what Scott Gottlieb, former head of the FDA, pointed out this morning:  In a free country such as the US, curtailing movements is really difficult and runs afoul of civil liberties.  What's not difficult is eliminating the reasons to move about such as public gatherings and special events.

We have crossed that Rubicon.

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
Absolutely.

It's less hassle for some, because a lot of normal people have their kids at home with them over spring break, so they just come get their crap out then stay at home.

For us, with our home on the far side of the world and our daughter looking for summer internships (so we weren't planning to bring her home at the end of theyear) it's more problematic.
There's at least a few cases of which I'm aware where a student in question is being asked to return to a country that has travel restrictions.  I'm not even entirely sure how they get home, let alone on short notice.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
My son is at the University of Maryland.  His Spring Break commences on Friday (since he has no Friday classes, I'll get him Thursday), and students have been told to stay home until April 10 (at the earliest).  Looks like I need to go to the grocery store.
I feel for you. 

One time I cooked up 5 pounds of chicken, believing after my son got to it there would be some left over for me to make a chicken sandwich the next day to take to work for lunch.

Next morning I'm scouring the frig looking for the chicken.  It wasn't to be found.