Class is Cancelled

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
I'm set to graduate as a RN in less than two months (May 1). But I have 100 clinical hours to complete.  That's not a school requirement, it's a national requirement.  Clinicals for student nurses are already being canceled in Wash. State, the Bay area, and all VA facilities.  Schools are trying to splice the hours with "simulations" and labs.   I just want to finish.  I've already been exposed to TB.  Ebola?  Covid19? 

PUT ME IN COACH! 
Shoot me a PM...  I may be able to help you with some NCLEX study stuff.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Your university is WAY cheaper than ours. The fees are...larger.

This from my kid's school web site. Totals price before financial aid. View attachment 351067

So it's over $14,000 for room & board. We're losing half a semester of that, so ~$3,500.

This also does not include a couple of $thousand for mandatory health insurance, which we had to provide since we don't have an overpriced US family healthcare plan since we're not in the US.
all found, Halls of residence at Melbourne University are somewhere between $25-40,000 PA 

It's basically for rich country kids.

Monash is around $11,000

I still think we've more to worry about that a few wasted thousand or two

Last edited by a moderator:

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
all found, Halls of residence at Melbourne University are somewhere between $25-40,000 PA 

It's basically for rich country kids.

Monash is around $11,000

I still think we've more to worry about that a few wasted thousand or two 
That's Aussiebucks though, right? So multiply by .65 or so and you get $16,250 - $26,000 USD. Or about 1/3 the cost or a top tier private education in the U.S.

Agreed, there may be bigger issues at hand societally. But personally, I don't really wish to donate $3,500 to the school without even the benefit of a tax break.

Owen

Super Anarchist
Camarillo
My wife drove to Santa Cruz and back yesterday to grab our freshman daughter.  Not sure what's next.

Public schools are caught in the delicious irony of really, really needing to shut the fuck down because these delightful youths have zero concept of stop touching everything and each other... but the county superintendents (from the social distancing of their clean modern offices) are explaining to the governor that we can't shut down because so many of the families depend on the schools....

for their meals and of course child care.  

Meanwhile the kids will go home to their multi-generational homes and vector away.  

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
My wife drove to Santa Cruz and back yesterday to grab our freshman daughter.  Not sure what's next.

Public schools are caught in the delicious irony of really, really needing to shut the fuck down because these delightful youths have zero concept of stop touching everything and each other... but the county superintendents (from the social distancing of their clean modern offices) are explaining to the governor that we can't shut down because so many of the families depend on the schools....

for their meals and of course child care.  

Meanwhile the kids will go home to their multi-generational homes and vector away.  
That's the conundrum ain't it? In our modern economy where 2 parents must work, we have no ability to deal with kids at home during the day. 

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
Class is Cancelled - 

Not to worry, I'll hold class right here on PA. 

But yeah, you best stock your fridge - Did you hear the one about the teenager 

who ate the entirety of a standing rib roast ? 

images

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus Driver

Cunning Linguist
Waiting to hear if the State playoffs for HS basketball will be held.  Our boys team is looking for a 4th straight state title (they are the ONLY public school in the top 25, nationally) and our girls team is hoping to win their state title game, as well.  Mind you, the teams have excellent GPAs (boys - 3.2 and girls 3.5) at a school ranked in the top 40 STEM schools.

Fingers crossed the colleges at which the games are scheduled will permit them to occur.  It might mean they play in an empty arena.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Kids don't seem to get it, but I guess they can still effectively spread it.

Routine at work:

Mrs X:My kid is home sick

COUGH COUGH

2 days later:

Mrs X: I am not coming in tomorrow, I feel bad.

Of course now she spread whatever to the rest of us who gave it to OUR kids who gleefully spread it all around their school/daycare. Pretty soon the entire state has whatever it is :rolleyes:

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
Class is Cancelled - 

Not to worry, I'll hold class right here on PA. 

But yeah, you best stock your fridge - Did you hear the one about the teenager 

who ate the entirety of a standing rib roast ? 

images
I saw my son eat an entire chicken in one sitting when he was a teenager.

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
That's Aussiebucks though, right? So multiply by .65 or so and you get $16,250 - $26,000 USD. Or about 1/3 the cost or a top tier private education in the U.S.

Agreed, there may be bigger issues at hand societally. But personally, I don't really wish to donate $3,500 to the school without even the benefit of a tax break.
But, but, think of the hit the Endowment is taking in the market.

You should be ecstatic at the opportunity to personally support higher education.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
But, but, think of the hit the Endowment is taking in the market.

You should be ecstatic at the opportunity to personally support higher education.
I've been personally supporting higher education with a lot of direct $$ for some time.

My only regret was that my daughter didn't choose to go to New College in FL instead of Bucknell. Not because it's 1/4 the cost. No, because we were offered in-state tuition, and I was looking forward to your apoplexy.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
The technology has been in place for a very long time.  Many of the for-profit and distance/online learning programs have been on the leading edge of this. I believe that Bucknell has an on-line learning program already in place so you should be OK. If not, this may be the catalyst to get the old guard off their collective asses and get with the program and realize that the YouTube generation is here and this is how they want to be taught. 

Understandably you're still going to need labs and a campus presence, but do you really need to sit there and listen to some dodgy old pompous fart lecture on Keynesian economics from a syllabus they haven't changed since Carter administration?
True - the technology and infrastructure exists. But does it exist at Bucknell, where my daughter attends.

When Will was at Southampton Solent, pretty much every lecture was recorded. They were all available online shortly aftger class. You will still supposed to attend class and they checked attendance. But the entirely of the lecture, the handouts, class notes, etc. were all available all the time to all students. All his work that got turned in was done electronically. Of course, he was in an engineering program.

Bucknell, while a fantastic school academically, has not fully embraced this sort of technology. Lectures aren't routinely recorded or broadcast, they don't have those facilities in all the classrooms. Nor do they have the portal setup to manage that stuff that I'm aware of.

They'll figure it out, they're smart people and they've probably been contingency planning for this. But it's not encouraging when my daughter has professors that insist work should be submitted on dead trees instead of electronically.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Kids don't seem to get it, but I guess they can still effectively spread it.

Routine at work:

Mrs X:My kid is home sick

COUGH COUGH

2 days later:

Mrs X: I am not coming in tomorrow, I feel bad.

Of course now she spread whatever to the rest of us who gave it to OUR kids who gleefully spread it all around their school/daycare. Pretty soon the entire state has whatever it is :rolleyes:
That's why we have paid personal leave..to stay at home and look after sick kids and not spread stuff around.