Cleaning Mildew from deck

Delta Dog

Nor Cal
Boat arriving next weeks with mildew and stains on the deck. They are rough and will ultimately need to be redone. Short term, whats the best approach to cleaning them up? Anything to steer clear of?

Pinching

Anarchist
bleach and dawn detergent in water; brush on handle. apply, let soak a few, rinse.

simple

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
bleach and dawn detergent in water; brush on handle. apply, let soak a few, rinse.

simple
Soft scrub with bleach works nicely to on an older rough deck, esp if gel coat is getting chalky. It is abrasive though, so frequent/repeated applications could start to damage the gel coat.

condor

Anarchist
I use a power washer at about 6-10 inches. Also cleans the teak in nothing flat.

No scrubbing needed, but you have to handle the washer. does a lot of deck pretty quickly.

(Wear boots.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DDW

Super Anarchist
I use a power washer at about 6-10 inches. Also cleans the teak in nothing flat.

No scrubbing needed, but you have to handle the washer. does a lot of deck pretty quickly.

(Wear boots.)
On teak, that is a pretty good way to ruin it. You will eat the soft wood leaving the grain standing above. Great if you like the hungry dog look on your decks. On textured fiberglass it works pretty well - no grain.

jerryj2me

Super Anarchist
Barkeepers Friend Liquid version (not the powdered) cleans stains and general ick off of fiberglass PDQ

IStream

Super Anarchist

(Wear boots.)
On teak, that is a pretty good way to ruin it. You will eat the soft wood leaving the grain standing above. Great if you like the hungry dog look on your decks. On textured fiberglass it works pretty well - no grain.
I use a pressure washer as well and DDW's caution about wood is on the mark. I'd also caution about getting too close to any deck fittings, genny tracks, toerails, etc, as you can easily undermine the bedding with the water jet. I do those areas afterwards by hand with a brush.

Also, the exact distance you need to maintain is a function of the power of your pressure washer and the fan angle of the wand nozzle. Start with the widest nozzle you've got (increases coverage and lowers pressure) and at least 12" (30cm) distance from the deck and work closer from there. FWIW, with my 3000psi washer and a 45 degree nozzle I clean my non-skid at about an 8" working distance.

jzk

Super Anarchist
LA's Totally Awesome from the Dollar Tree. I always keep like 5 bottles on the boat. Great for cleaning the head too.

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Pinching and JZK +1 Not hard and much easier and safer than power washing...although I might sub tetra d or car wash liq soap...and after ward not pour remains on street but let evap slowly...in sun.

Simple is best in the beginning and almost always later. Regrets are seldom easy to take back.

Last edited by a moderator: