Climbing Anarchy

Raptorsailor

Anarchist
The sea
It's fun, it's safe until you fall. Discuss.

Personally I solo climb, free climb but never both at the same time, I like living and I'm not Alex Honnold. I climb mainly in the Maurienne valley as it's one of my favourite places on Earth. Once a year I do a proper Alpine climb, this year it was L'Albaron at 3637m. It was fun and easy, next year one of the Ciamarella's awaits... or the Mont Rose, I'm not sure.

Guitar

Super Anarchist
I used the stairs. Vernal Falls.

20190910_104756.jpg

20190910_111540.jpg

dreadom

Super Anarchist
Geelong
My 20’s were pretty much spent on rock. Sadly I didn’t find sailing until I turned 30. I still miss it and try to get to a indoor wall once or twice a year. 

83E60AD1-FE95-4F70-B995-8C55A61A5E90.jpeg

7B945AE6-AA81-411D-9A8E-24B77E5CB5C6.jpeg

QBF

Super Anarchist
I don't climb but I enjoy reading about it. Especially climbs on 8,000 meter peaks.  This year so far, I've been following the exploits of  Nepalese climber, Nirmal Purja .

Climber, and former Nirmal Purja is attempting to climb all 14 8,000 meter peaks in 7-months. He didn't make that time frame, but so fart he has climbed 11 out of the 14 8,0000 meter peaks this year!

Nirmal Purja.jpg

In his 16 years of serving for the UK Military force, Nims contributed 10 years to the secretive world of the UK’s special forces. Nims is the only Nepalese citizen who has worked for special boat service (The Special Boat Service (SBS) is the special forces unit of the United Kingdom’s Royal Navy).

https://explorersweb.com/2019/08/27/exclusive-interview-nirmal-purja

By the end of August, Nirmal Purja summited 11 of the 8000’ers in a mere 94 days. He has also helped in four rescues during this time, including the extraction of Wui Kin Chin from high on Annapurna.

The former special forces soldier has just two peaks left on his lofty tick list: Manaslu and Shishapangma.

https://explorersweb.com/2019/09/23/breaking-purja-summits-cho-oyu

In case you were wondering, Nirmal Purja is Reinhold Messner approved...

Reinhold Messner and Purja at Nanga Parbat Base Camp.jpg

Guitar

Super Anarchist
Caught these monsters in camp climbing rocks. Both my wife and I remembered doing this as kids so I went down to have them poise for me and then shared it with their parents in camp. 

20190909_181209.jpg

Raptorsailor

Anarchist
The sea
Honnold calls slower climbers “hikers.”

Freak.
He's got a point, I hate slow climbers. Also, if you're going hiking you really do not need a north face puffer jacket, fancy ski/walking pole, massive boots, even bigger backpack etc... Trainers with suitable tread, shorts, t-shirt and a light hoodie in a small backpack +snacks and water bottle is more than enough. Even for rock scrambling in all but the most extreme routes.

Ease the sheet.

ease the sheet
Caught these monsters in camp climbing rocks. Both my wife and I remembered doing this as kids so I went down to have them poise for me and then shared it with their parents in camp. 

View attachment 323660
Recently had a family (inlaws) day at a park with multiple rocky outcrops. This was exactly what the kids did absent parents and grandparents.

I took the kids for an explore, leaving the rest of the parents behind. They had a great time, no sooking, no arguing, just fun. And they loved it.

If I had of heard a "no, get down" one more time, there was going to be an unexplained mass grave.

That explore did the young kids and this old kid, a world of good.

mikewof

mikewof
I used to free climb, nothing too high, but I had to make some ill-advised jumps to stay on the face of the rock and/or building. Injuries?

Lessee ... I've been riding skateboards, snakeboards and snowboards pretty much my entire life. Even yesterday, I took my son to the skatepark and I fell hard three times (as I often do) and I don't use pads or a helmet because I don't use pads or a helmet unless I'm on a motorcycle. As I type this, my bones are bruised and sore, I have a raspberry the size of a silver dollar on the side of my knee and one the size of a half dollar on my elbow. The repeated pounding of my body hitting the street or the cement at the skatepark since I started riding at 8 years old has left my knees and shins and elbows battle scarred, and yet they always heal, eventually.

But rock climbing? I've broken an elbow (unset, because I had no health insurance back then and I was broke), I've broken my foot and my.pinkie finger, both of those unset due to inability to pay. I still climb indoors sometimes, I've never hurt myself climbing indoors, because indoor climbing never means losing your grip to rotten rock, or bird shit, or losing your footing on a jump from grippy rock onto slippery rock.

I've climbed a few fourteeners in Colorado, and Ben Nevis in Scotland, alpine climbing in the summer, off the mountain before 2 pm, that's safe and beautiful, never hurt myself doing alpine climbs.

But rock climbing ... three broken bones in maybe two years of very sporadic outdoor rock climbing, versus no broken bones ever in over forty years of riding boards in skateparks, snow, and in traffic. That climbing stuff is fun, but the men and women who do it are often nuts and make board sports seem rational and safe.

Last edited by a moderator: