Clipper Does a Vestas

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
This boat C34 might have to be put in the crew selection categories of "I'm an attention seeker" and "Are you sure you really want to sail on me" for this race.

You see last edition CV24 was called 'LMAX Exchange'.

First LMAX managed to.stumble across a drifting boat with no rig east of the Phillipines. Now it just happened to have a mummified German sailor on board, whose remains were coincidently propped up at the nav station.

Second LMAX gate crashed a beach party just outside Rio Brazil when changing marinas.

She went on to win the last edition. However call me superstitious, but there is some weird bad karma navigation shit hanging over this puppy. That or the punters keep smuggling bananas on board.

Sayo3.jpg

Screen-Shot-2015-10-02-at-17.03.08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Bit more info, mostly officialese. (Crew 'debrief', no more CV24 this race, salvage survey tomorrow.)

UPDATE 01 NOVEMBER 1720 UTC (1920 local time)

Following careful analysis of the situation and state of the Clipper Race Yacht CV24 the Clipper Race office has confirmed that the vessel is partially underwater after running aground on the western side of the Cape Peninsula, South Africa, and will take no further part in the Clipper 2017-18 Race.

The decision has been communicated to the Interim Skipper, Andy Woodruff, and discussions have taken place with Greenings Skipper, David Hartshorn (recovering from an earlier injury) and his crew regarding their future participation in this edition of the race.

The safety of the Skipper and crew have been paramount throughout this incident and all are doing well and no injuries have been reported.

Underwriters have appointed a surveyor who will attend the boat tomorrow and, on receipt of his report, a decision will be made as to whether the boat will be salvaged or not.

A full investigation of the incident is underway.

UPDATE 01 NOVEMBER 0900 UTC (1100 local time)

Greenings Skipper, Andy Woodruff, and crew are doing well after some rest in Cape Town and are currently being debriefed by the Clipper Race Office team.
http://clipperroundtheworld.com/news/article/greenings-crew-evacuated-after-running-aground

pacice

Anarchist
New Zealand
Looking at their track, it looks like they thought they had passed the second lighthouse, and turned onto the same course as everyone else did after the second lighthouse.

No-one bothered to check the chart plotter.

Ozee Adventure

Super Anarchist
Still around, still sailing , just not gas bagging about it. I've had some great times with BJ while he's been in the country so talking ABOUT you guys not TO you!

I actually took up dancing too!

No idea what my score even means

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Jack is in his early 70's
Dear chap the only 70's number or close there to in my life is the blow job number count after I got divorced. The count prior to that did not require great maths skills.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Is that what u call the slaves in the basement?
I have no idea of their locale or if they are being held against their will, however if so I suspect they are enjoying extra rations today. Go visit the Leaderboard to see the genesis behind their great joy and why LB is narky today.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Back on topic - I wonder if the punters on Greening will get their folding stuff back? Maybe they need to claim it on their travel insurance.
I doubt any refunds will be forthcoming LB. Having regard for Sir RNJ's fiscal approach, wanting to satisfy an actual versus brochure expectation experience, the leg finish line being a mere bees dick away and CV24's navigational history, then all the punters he placed on that truck had all obviously ticked the optional box in his tour application form marked "I want a go on the bricks but live experience". 

RNK is a very canny RO, albeit a bit of a ponce these days.

Latest posts