Clipper Does a Vestas

Sailabout

Super Anarchist
why would they get their money back, they did it??

Aftica is going Northeast and combined with an over estimation of global warming lifting the tide issue, they had a good plan for a shortcut just 100 million years too early

Last edited by a moderator:
FF4FA4F1-D6CF-4C6B-B5B3-0ED23ECE9E8E.jpeg

bdu98252

The crew looked pretty happy at their post beaching briefing. Maybe the finish line was explained differently to them and they think they won. As a side note what is the netting thing up the forestay.  

Tunnel Rat

Super Anarchist
I think the netting is designed to reduce the number of wraps that can be made around the forestay when using a spinnaker 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
The crew looked pretty happy at their post beaching briefing.
Mate some empathy and understanding about that crew is required. 

Like if you were the one in that crowd who was the junior bookkeeper who for the last 30 years has been working for a engineering company in Leeds that make the small bolt that goes at the bottom of bicycle front forks. The company since 1926 has been unsucessfully trying to secure a contract to make the other bolt for the other side of the fork.

Then on Xmas day last your wife left you for your brother who polishes those bolts. So after the marital split you get very depressed and start reading newspapers on account she ended up with the sole family Smartphone. By extension you start absorbing all the advertisements in the local rag, including ones about Ukranian super models who are turned on by British men with no job and no prospects.

To cut to the chase you throw every dollar you have left in the piggy bank towards going Clippering. 

In a lonely state you pretend to wave upon leaving Mother England but there is no one to wave back and ultimately you end up on a rocky shore in the middle of the night in some god fuck country. The same country where your forebears thought the Boars there were life threatening enough to go to war with them even though your own Queen was their cousin. 

All you can think about when getting off the boat is the images from David Attenborough specials you watched with the ex wife on your 8" TV in your shoebox sized apartment in Leeds about killer animals in this place that can bite a man's dick off at ten paces. Your cold and frightened.

You are then suddenly transported and sitting in the confines of a warm room drinking tea and being offered scones and for the first time in your life people fussing over you. You see your own face on local TV. You then start to believe your famous and that will lead to you thinking your first blow job, without having to wear a condom and from someone half your age who doesn't keep reminding you to put the rubbish bin out on Tuesday's, is just around the corner.

bdu no wonder their all looking pretty happy mate. 

Sir RKJ is a fuckin genius, the Clipper Race is the gift which keeps on giving, no matter the calamity.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Looks like the crew can continue on other boats. Still awaiting the details on the investigation.

Mark Light reported: “It is important that an incident of this nature has a full investigation. The Greenings crew and Interim Skipper, Andy Woodruff, will be helping with that. We will make sure we get all the right information together in order to help any investigation going forwards.”

He added: “It is important for us to get the Greenings crew back into the Clipper Race. We have got several options going forwards and we’re helping them in lots of different ways so they can continue their Clipper Race with us.”
http://clipperroundtheworld.com/news/article/race-director-provides-update-on-greenings-crew

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Looks like the crew can continue on other boats. Still awaiting the details on the investigation.

http://clipperroundtheworld.com/news/article/race-director-provides-update-on-greenings-crew
Good interview about the rescue and the upcoming investigation.
Not one word about how it happened.
My two cents of thought:

They didn't look at the map when it happened.
Auto pilot got a wrong waypoint.
The helmsman wanted to look at those strange lights waving at them at the shore.

mad

Super Anarchist
Good interview about the rescue and the upcoming investigation.
Not one word about how it happened.
My two cents of thought:

They didn't look at the map when it happened.
Auto pilot got a wrong waypoint.
The helmsman wanted to look at those strange lights waving at them at the shore.
You'd fit in well with any of those, apart the autopilot theory, only because there aren't any. 

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Eh grounding incidents aren't that complicated. If there's no loss of rudder, power/sail - 9 times out of 10 it is a loss of situational awareness/navigation errors. On a fully crewed boat like this one, vast majority of the case the navigator plots the course below, helm does his/her job more focused on the wind. Someone/both don't communicate - in the dark - and you run aground.

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
1 hour ago, stief said:

Sir Robin's report of the salvage progress; nothing yet about cause.

I can save everyone a lot of time summing up.

The fucking fucker's fucked, cos some useless fucker fucked up.

It's not complicated, let's not try to make it so.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
After the tragedies on the last Clipper I was stunned to find them able to get insurance cover for this race.  With this grounding, I'll be stunned again. I imagine the price is going to have to go up again! (from ~USD60k per person for a RTW ticket to ....)

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
After the tragedies on the last Clipper I was stunned to find them able to get insurance cover for this race.  With this grounding, I'll be stunned again. I imagine the price is going to have to go up again! (from ~USD60k per person for a RTW ticket to ....)
60K . . .  deductible? Can't see each applicant paying/ being subsidized that much for a premium. 

edit [guess you mean the total price for a RTW ticket . . .  not just the insurance. DOH]

Miffy

Super Anarchist

Were there any insurance exposure during the MOB incidents? Or are you guessing? Seems on par for participation waiver to be extremely specific and enforceable against estate that absent gross negligence on the part of the organizer, you're not getting damages.