Clipper Does a Vestas

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
After the tragedies on the last Clipper I was stunned to find them able to get insurance cover for this race.  With this grounding, I'll be stunned again. I imagine the price is going to have to go up again! (from ~USD60k per person for a RTW ticket to ....)
What's a life worth these days? 5mil?

MR.CLEAN

Not here
60K . . .  deductible? Can't see each applicant paying/ being subsidized that much for a premium. 

edit [guess you mean the total price for a RTW ticket . . .  not just the insurance. DOH]
Not the premium, -that's the actual entry fee for those going around the world on all legs,  and if I remember correctly they also need their own national or private health insurance.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Were there any insurance exposure during the MOB incidents? Or are you guessing? Seems on par for participation waiver to be extremely specific and enforceable against estate that absent gross negligence on the part of the organizer, you're not getting damages.
waiver.  Hahahahahahah!

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Were there any insurance exposure during the MOB incidents? Or are you guessing? Seems on par for participation waiver to be extremely specific and enforceable against estate that absent gross negligence on the part of the organizer, you're not getting damages.
Only one MOB, the other's head crushed by a flapping clew.  The reason there were never any court cases reported was because of the NDAs that come with big payoffs.  

MR.CLEAN

Not here
It's a factual question. Thought you'll be interested. 
Always interested in facts, but on the law, you may note that there is an old saying amongst personal injury/wrongful death lawyers about liability waivers: "Not worth the bandages they're printed on."

MR.CLEAN

Not here
The MAIB report said that "lack of effective supervision featured in both accidents", and numerous reports - both internal and in the news (and here on SA) have detailed exactly that problem as a cause of other Clipper issues over the years.  To pretend that the Clipper doesn't know that their young, underpaid skippers leading dozens of unfit, inexperienced, older crews is a recipe for disaster and mayhem...defies common sense.  It's actually their model and every ex-Clipper skipper I've ever talked to has said some version of the same thing to me: "It's amazing people aren't dying and losing limbs every leg."

They may be overstating it, but no Clipper skipper or sailor has ever told me they felt safe and seamanlike on a Clipper 70.

LB 15

Cunt
Young skippers? Don't know who you were talking to but most are in their 30's and several are in the 50's. It is a circus all right but a circus with a pretty good safety record considering were they are playing. More people pay to be guided up Everest each year and a few die- just as a few highly experienced climbers do each year. Shit happens. However the clipper organisation are highly professional and you can be sure they have very good legal advice. But it they ever want to leave their multinational law firm and start getting legal advise from a law student who now works part time on a sailing website, I am sure you will be the first they call.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Always interested in facts, but on the law, you may note that there is an old saying amongst personal injury/wrongful death lawyers about liability waivers: "Not worth the bandages they're printed on."
Never heard of the phrase. All I know is flag of the vessel, terms of the service agreement, specificity of the waiver can scare off two bit ambulance chasers in the US. 

Then again perhaps you're right and there's massive settlements with NDAs. The beauty of your claim is there's no way to validate whether it exists or not. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
This may effect the plan to put in wheelchair ramps for the next edition. Might have to put in escape slides now.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
It is a circus all right but a circus with a pretty good safety record considering were they are playing.
LB you would know what the prep is like, but I gather it would be hard to better, particularly when the punters come from all corners of the orange. 

The platform is pretty bullet proof with small rigs. I recall when they joined a S2H some years back a 10' smaller Volvo 60 beat them in by a day. Going through the convergence zone must be fun, probably enough time to plant and pick a vegetable patch. (Alinguist if your stalking me here too, the convergence zone is like the skimmer box in your RC class). So obviously little that needs changing in that department except maybe reducing boat size and loads.

Crew mix is obviously dictated by the pool of punters that show up so only so much mix and match you can do there. The obvious solution to make it less incident prone is throwing in some paid hands. However that would dilute the amateur racing experience plus drive up the cost.

Safety nut a bit of hard one to crack then, save for putting them in a room wearing virtual reality goggles, sleep depriving them and throwing buckets of cold water containing frozen flying fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

miztified

SF Bay
They may be overstating it, but no Clipper skipper or sailor has ever told me they felt safe and seamanlike on a Clipper 70.
How many did you speak to? I can confidently say that several of us felt safe and seamanlike at least some of the time on the clipper 70.  You do tend to learn something over 40,000 miles. Or even just the first 1,000.  Though I don't doubt the 70s with their wide open spaces are tougher on the crew than the earlier boats. 

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Here is the explanation:

greenings.png.jpg
Tacking into the dark.

LB 15

Cunt
More than likely one of the crew were busy updating their blog and facebook pages instead of looking at the plotter. Or the lighthouses. Or the heading. Or the depth sounder. Or the RADAR. Or the...

I am sure that footage will emerge. The chances that one of the crew weren't filming or at least taking a selfie when they hit would be pretty slim. One thing most clipper crew have in common is that documenting their adventure is just as important as enjoying their adventure. 

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
I am sure that footage will emerge.
Maybe, but not yet via twitter hashtag #clipperrace . Surprising, since crew members had the temptation to break the inside story to their followers once within range of the hotel wifi.

Here's some footage from earlier

Now that 6 members will continue on HotelPlanner, I'm sure the crew there will have plenty to discuss on the rail. Maybe some snippets will show up on the crew diary page.

http://clipperroundtheworld.com/crew/crew-diaries/filter/hotelplannercom/race3-leg3

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
I am sure that footage will emerge

Maybe, but not yet via twitter hashtag #clipperrace . Surprising, since crew members had the temptation to break the inside story to their followers once within range of the hotel wifi.
stief I think as climbing over the rail they were reminded of the, "If we crash or someone's dies" Socrates Clause in their tour contract. Germans call it the Shultz Clause.

quote-one-thing-only-i-know-and-that-is-that-i-know-nothing-socrates-351591.jpg

quote-i-hear-nothing-i-see-nothing-i-know-nothing-john-banner-62-17-90.jpg

LB 15

Cunt

Here's some footage from earlier

Now that 6 members will continue on HotelPlanner, I'm sure the crew there will have plenty to discuss on the rail. Maybe some snippets will show up on the crew diary page.

http://clipperroundtheworld.com/crew/crew-diaries/filter/hotelplannercom/race3-leg3
329 miles is pretty good going in anyone's view. That clip didn't get me racing to get my money down for the next leg however...