Clipper Does a Vestas

Varan

Super Anarchist
More than likely one of the crew were busy updating their blog and facebook pages instead of looking at the plotter. Or the lighthouses. Or the heading. Or the depth sounder. Or the RADAR. Or the...

I am sure that footage will emerge. The chances that one of the crew weren't filming or at least taking a selfie when they hit would be pretty slim. One thing most clipper crew have in common is that documenting their adventure is just as important as enjoying their adventure. 
So true! Why do folks need to document their life instead of being in the moment? If you only get one chance at life, live it, don't film it. Tomorrow's film is wasted bits on some storage device that will never be retrieved and will slowly fade away. Cameras and phones should be band from the boat. Relive it in your mind, not on your phone. No wonder people can't remember shit these days. They don't have to. Enjoy it. Live it! [/rant off]

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Grounding occurred at 2300 local time. Unless they were using illumination or some fancy nvg camera, doubt there will be good footage. 

LB 15

Cunt
So true! Why do folks need to document their life instead of being in the moment? If you only get one chance at life, live it, don't film it. Tomorrow's film is wasted bits on some storage device that will never be retrieved and will slowly fade away. Cameras and phones should be band from the boat. Relive it in your mind, not on your phone. No wonder people can't remember shit these days. They don't have to. Enjoy it. Live it! [/rant off]
5e32a19383f3509141f6021608213411--funny-girl-memes-its-funny.jpg

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Exactly. The VOR65 media suite includes nonvisible spectrum illumination lamps and low light camera . Not exactly amateur photography here. 

DFL1010

Anarchist
Cornwall
photos.png

Ozee Adventure

Super Anarchist
They may be overstating it, but no Clipper skipper or sailor has ever told me they felt safe and seamanlike on a Clipper 70.
I did on the 68, but then with some knowledge I made it my business to, track record of pulling it apart and putting it back together so I can make informed decisions and I get it.

I had (much to my joy) people training me that were even more anal retentive than I am.

I had been taught some seamanship before I went, got some on the leg from people more experienced. I was lucky to have people doing the full show who were usually at sea in different capacities on board. So I had different perspectives too.

Ozee Adventure

Super Anarchist
He stood on a halyard I was about to fire in 50k (2013 S2H) as we were over powered, I didn’t see or hear him coming in that weather, when I turned I didn’t know it was him until he came face to face with me. He said nothing & carried on to the bow to help take the sail down. By the time I got off watch I was being teased for yelling at a legend! He never said anything about it, but he did tell me about his wife who was a nurse too, he lost her thru breast cancer

Last edited by a moderator:

stick

What are they doing about clearing up their mess? Completely unverified but I’ve heard that after removing diesel and salvaging some parts they’re going to leave the thing on the beach in a national park, as too expensive/difficult to remove. Fucking joke if you ask me, particularly given all the focus on plastic in the ocean. Sure, maybe they can’t get a crane barge in but they could pony up for a heavy lift helicopter or chop it up and use a regular one. Smacks of “its only South Africa, we can do what we like”. Guess it’s to be expected if some of the stories about dumping non degradable garbage into the ocean on legs are true.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
they’re going to leave the thing on the beach in a national park, as too expensive/difficult to remove.
After a week the locals will either have sorted it and there is nothing left, or the government remove it if the insurer/owner doesn't stump up, then they go chase them for reimbursement is what usually happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

knucklehead

Anarchist
Cape Town
Nope, all wrong. The wreck removal was put out to tender by the underwriters, one of the conditions being that vehicular access to the beach is not allowed. I think you'll find it will be cut up in situ,  with some care taken to remove the rig intact, if possible. The bits to be lifted by chopper for loading on to trucks on the nearest road. Should be nothing there next week.   

Latest posts