Clipper Does a Vestas

stick

Nope, all wrong. The wreck removal was put out to tender by the underwriters, one of the conditions being that vehicular access to the beach is not allowed. I think you'll find it will be cut up in situ,  with some care taken to remove the rig intact, if possible. The bits to be lifted by chopper for loading on to trucks on the nearest road. Should be nothing there next week.   
I stand corrected, that’s good news. I imagine their insurance renewal discussions may be painful!

mad

Super Anarchist
Nope, all wrong. The wreck removal was put out to tender by the underwriters, one of the conditions being that vehicular access to the beach is not allowed. I think you'll find it will be cut up in situ,  with some care taken to remove the rig intact, if possible. The bits to be lifted by chopper for loading on to trucks on the nearest road. Should be nothing there next week.   
Leaving it there would be a PR disaster, don’t think they had much choice, I’m sure the SA government wouldn’t let them get away with it. 

sailforbeer

Here
Not a word from the Clipper Race organizers yet on what caused this grounding?   Or did I miss it?

Breakdown of the chain of command on the boat?  Malfunctioning gear?  They didn't zoom out far enough to see, um, Africa?  Or just plain stupidity and there is no way to write a press release on that with any positive spin?

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Still no word on the grounding, but news on the recovery is now online

snipped:

We now have a range of options to remove the vessel, to be carried out by professionals, but respect the desire to conserve the area. However ultimately there will need to be a judgement call by the authorities on the least invasive recovery method.

In conjunction with our insurers, we have decided that the cost of repairing the vessel will be uneconomic after removing it from its current location and it will be written off. Our priority now is on supporting the professionals in ensuring that the vessel’s removal is carried out in the most efficient and effective manner.

mad

Super Anarchist
yysw183586.jpg
yysw183588.jpg

LB 15

Cunt
Not a word from the Clipper Race organizers yet on what caused this grounding?   Or did I miss it?

Breakdown of the chain of command on the boat?  Malfunctioning gear?  They didn't zoom out far enough to see, um, Africa?  Or just plain stupidity and there is no way to write a press release on that with any positive spin?
It could have been caused by 40ft attack sharks, 10 knot currents or a mini force 11 gale that no other boat saw. There are things out there that we may never understand. 

Latest posts