• The Forum will be unavailable on March 27, 2023 from 8:AM to 12:00 PM EST for maintenance.

ClubSwan 36

So i just got an email with an invitation to Saint Tropez for the unveiling on June 11th. I'll be sailing the Baltic then but i think it's pretty cool Nautor is making a 36 again and we've got a couple of weeks to speculate. Juan K or Frers? Daysailor or racer/cruiser? Hot or not?

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
image.png

So, judging by the impression sketch, a flush deck day boat type of thing. Very different from the trad Swan racer/cruiser.

Bet Melges are going to be pissed off. Why buy a 40 when you can get this and race at Costa Smeralda. Plus overlap with the IC37.

Last edited by a moderator:

willp14335

Anacortes WA
The 125 is very interesting from a design and engineering perspective, but it won't be able to compete in some races like Sydney to Hobart, which I think kind of defeats the point. It will be cool to see it though. 

savoir

Super Anarchist
Now that's an interesting question. Swan say they have sold 21 and can even give you boat names and sail numbers. Does that mean there really are 21 boats out there complete with owners and crews ? Unlikely.

The most recent Swan 50 regatta 3 weeks ago in Palma only managed 7 starters. You also have to be a little suspicious about all the Russian boat names and sail numbers. Most times Russian owners are pretty scarce in keelboat fleets.

Last edited by a moderator:

frede

Now that's an interesting question. Swan say they have sold 21 and can even give you boat names and sail numbers. Does that mean there really are 21 boats out there complete with owners and crews ? Unlikely.

The most recent Swan 50 regatta 3 weeks ago in Palma only managed 7 starters. You also have to be a little suspicious about all the Russian boat names and sail numbers. Most times Russian owners are pretty scarce in keelboat fleets.
I think they have only completed 18 hulls so far; I know hull no 19 Proxflyer is being finished up now at the yard.  15 boats are registered so far for the Swan Cup in September.  Reality is not every boat you sell will be raced in the class; look at the numbers for the Classe Mini.  But of course your conspiracy theory about them having sold no boats and it all being a clever cover-up is more entertaining than the truth.

savoir

Super Anarchist
15 entries eh ? So how come YCCS only records 4 entries as of May 31. Sloppy bookkeeping perhaps ?

frede

To be honest, I'm not sure.  The class posted last week:

The Nations Trophy 2017 saw more than 10 ClubSwan 50s on the starting line, and racing day after day to see who the strongest would be! 
This year, more than 15 Clubswan50s will be together for the first ever World Championship!
#swanodracing #clubswan50 #fullcarbon #rsc #juank

The Swan Cup this year is functioning as the first World Championship for the class.  I guess we'll see in September.