ClubSwan 41 - soft launch or floating an idea?

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
the 36 is too extreme for most and very one trick pony, and the budget to run a 50 campaign is also quite high. i quite like it. a bit smaller than the old 45 and 42, but able to go around a racecourse at a home regatta, do an offshore race and race in sort of one design in a boat around 40ft would tik my box

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Yes. Outside of racing, for coastal cruising, I'd say the skipper is spending 70% of their time at the nav desk doing routing and departure planning. I would be hard pressed to buy an ocean-capable sailboat without one; that being said, I'm sure 90%+ of sailboats sold today rarely leave the dock for more than a harbor cruise.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
A nav station is more than just a nav station. it's a workbench, an organizer, storage locker & desk.

its one aspect of a boat's overall functionality.

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
These boats will *never* get out of sight of the nearest Aperol Spritz or Charcuterie board. The only thing a nav station offers to people racing in the Club Swan fleets is a nice stable location to write salary checks for their professional crew .

Last edited:

Monkey

Super Anarchist
These boats will *never* get out of sight of the nearest Aperol Spritz or Charcuterie board. The only thing a nav station offers to people racing in the Club Swan fleets is a nice stable location to write salary checks for their professional crew .
Don’t be rediculous. They’ve got someone who takes care of payroll.

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
If the racing joins in the same circuit as the existing Club Swan classes then it's almost exclusively inshore windward/leeward courses where the navigators use a tablet/tough book and stay on deck the whole time. The CS50 doesn't have a nav desk either - there's a small pull down 'shelf' on one bulkhead in the salon by the breaker board and electronics but this is rarely used.

We don't carry a charcuterie platter either but this would likely get more use than a nav desk....

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Fuck I wouldn’t cope being out of sight of my small goods board . I can’t make it round the course without some sobrassada on a slice of pan brasico

wonderbrom

we all eat fancy don't we?

I'm just wondering what branch of the market they're aiming at. It seems like this is the best "swan for the people" they could come up with. So not a pure grand prix racer like the CS50, or a toy like the 36. Not owner-driver, but owner-driver-sailor.... A boat where the crew will actually sleep/live on board. You get my point. If this is the case, then the boat would def need a nav station. Where else could the crew pile their bottles of sun blocker?

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Why oh why did the nav station go away for so many modern designs?
Navigator sits on the rail with a tablet connected wirelessly to the boat instruments and boat's main computer. At least that's how I've been doing it on race boats on which I've navigated for the last 10 or so years.
On my personal boat while cruising, I use my tablet on deck as well- mostly my wife and I sailing alone. I never used the chart plotter at the nav station, and after 2 years of not using it I took it off the boat.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
we all eat fancy don't we?

I'm just wondering what branch of the market they're aiming at. It seems like this is the best "swan for the people" they could come up with. So not a pure grand prix racer like the CS50, or a toy like the 36. Not owner-driver, but owner-driver-sailor.... A boat where the crew will actually sleep/live on board. You get my point. If this is the case, then the boat would def need a nav station. Where else could the crew pile their bottles of sun blocker?
sink

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
We rarely use our nav desk when out at sea. We mostly use in port for working remotely on our laptops or as a workbench. I have paper charts that I haven't even broken the seal on since I bought them ten years ago. I understand a nav station is probably pointless but I do like having a "work" area.

Latest posts