Code X by Bieker for Code7 marine

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
Huh, been here since 2004 and never read that one. So what is the punch line? It seems dumb.
You'd have to spend some time in Cruising Anarchy. Brent Swain of the home-built-steel-boats hall of shame, declared that he knew more about sailboat design than Bob Perry and others. He also stated (to much well deserved and long lasting derision) that offset companionways would flood a boat in a knockdown, and therefore all boats with offset companionways are deathtraps.

It's become an SA staple, much like show us your tits, what's it rate?, you and your elk, win something from Teaky's desk, the fourth mode, etc.

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
I doubt it -- it has been common in the dinghy world especially the foiling dinghy world to have a bungee that centres the tiller. You barely notice it.

I assume the spring they use isn't ridiculously strong.
Sure, that may work for a full foiling dinghy...

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
IMO a whipstaff could make for a good single hander cockpit. 'Tiller' ahead of the traveler putting you near the sheet and other winches. I'd like to try one.
I have a small double ender with a push-pull tiller and it is... okay.

code7

cro
A bit late to the thread... thanks Ed for sharing our Code-X project!

Steering on Code-X looks a bit radical but actually works really well.

A huge amount of hours went into design phase, we studied numerous concepts and cockpit layouts in the pursuit of performance and (relative) simplicity.
We wanted the cockpit to be as clean as possible, helmsman positioned relatively fwd for light air trim (also this side foil concept likes relative central fore/aft crew positioning).

Without a visual reference, steering feels conventional as tiller.
Actually what is more interesting is the super simple linkage below the cockpit floor.
Whipstaff action translates via light carbon torque tube 3m aft to the rudder quadrants.
System is super light but robust and reliable at the same time.

Paul manages to amaze with his concepts every time :)

Code-X is an ultra high tech build, carbon everything, below 1200kg, retractable electric drive/LiPoFe4 pack included.

Boat #1 is already sailing, went trough extensive sea trials and we are blown away with the level of performance.
Chosen side foil concept works well in full wind range, fully retracted in the light, helping with RM above approx 7kts of BS, benefits of reduced hull drag at higher speeds.

What we really like is the great boat handling, owner-driver at the helm doing 20kts (at 20Tws) with relaxed atmosphere on board is not a common site :)

Sandi
Code7 marine

code7

cro
Looks to me like the helm person would be tempted to multitask as everything is in reach, piss the crew off -- the crew in this photo look pretty bored :)
Yeah, I noticed that too, checking IG instead of calling puffs :) Actually that multitasking option works well when sailing with reduced crew.

Looks like a weapon. Figaro 3 on steroids.
Figaro 3, but super fast and geared more for the Med conditions :)

Accessible trickle down.

I like it!

My initial thought on the whipstaff was what a great space saver but it's gonna be impossible to steer between your legs if/when needed...
Yeah, that's one of the cons. We often inappropriate joke onboard on that subject. A lot of pros though :)

Not finding anything anything I do not like about it.

Other than that some of the local local yahoo's will ignore boat room with those foils and run them over like they run over a Sunday morning buffet.

How much?

What's it rate, ORR, ORRez, ORC, IRC, and unfortunately PHRF?

Under ORC approx APH is 469, One design mode/without sailplan optimization.
All I can say is that we can sail up to targets without the steep training curve.

I would not push the boat into W/L courses under handicap (although without foils you easily could) but I suspect that boat will perform great on coastal/offshore courses, especially with reduced crew.

Rating systems are still learning how to deal with side foil configurations, for now, numbers are doing us a favor.

Approx 250k+ Euro ex works, depending on configuration.

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
I 'sailed' the Eastern Med once among the Greek Islands. It reminded me of LIS with its humidity and perfect water skiing conditions.

Med conditions?
Why do Northern H people piss on new boats in this joint ?

Good work Code7 , bloody cool boat and props for sticking your neck out and building a progressive boat that actually seems to work very well .

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Why do Northern H people piss on new boats in this joint ?

Good work Code7 , bloody cool boat and props for sticking your neck out and building a progressive boat that actually seems to work very well .
I'm not shitting on this boat at all. I like it and said so up thread.

I was just looking for a definition of 'Med conditions', cause the only condition I know from a single week long sail, is a vacuum...

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Unusual. But, not new.
early. very.
1670010172060.png

silversurfer

Denmark
A bit late to the thread... thanks Ed for sharing our Code-X project!

Steering on Code-X looks a bit radical but actually works really well.

A huge amount of hours went into design phase, we studied numerous concepts and cockpit layouts in the pursuit of performance and (relative) simplicity.
We wanted the cockpit to be as clean as possible, helmsman positioned relatively fwd for light air trim (also this side foil concept likes relative central fore/aft crew positioning).

Without a visual reference, steering feels conventional as tiller.
Actually what is more interesting is the super simple linkage below the cockpit floor.
Whipstaff action translates via light carbon torque tube 3m aft to the rudder quadrants.
System is super light but robust and reliable at the same time.

Paul manages to amaze with his concepts every time :)

Code-X is an ultra high tech build, carbon everything, below 1200kg, retractable electric drive/LiPoFe4 pack included.

Boat #1 is already sailing, went trough extensive sea trials and we are blown away with the level of performance.
Chosen side foil concept works well in full wind range, fully retracted in the light, helping with RM above approx 7kts of BS, benefits of reduced hull drag at higher speeds.

What we really like is the great boat handling, owner-driver at the helm doing 20kts (at 20Tws) with relaxed atmosphere on board is not a common site :)

Sandi
Code7 marine
Would love some pictures of that whipstaff mechanism. Or drawings/sketches. Not too difficult to come up with one that would work. Much more difficult to come up with one that would work really well.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
I 'sailed' the Eastern Med once among the Greek Islands. It reminded me of LIS with its humidity and perfect water skiing conditions.

Med conditions?
Medium conditions?

It's funny you mention a vacuum in the Greek Islands, a place notorious for blowing dogs off chains. I can't imagine this boat would be designed for Mediterranean conditions (which seems like a lot of everything). But designing for medium conditions makes sense. Most J Boats are optimized for 10-12 knots of wind speed, because it turns out, that is what most J Boats sail in.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
469 APH is pretty much the same as Longboard, the Bieker Riptide 35 MkII. I wonder which would be cheaper to build and then campaign? Seems like the Code X would be lower cost as you surely couldn't build a Riptide 35 for 250k today. I suspect it was over 250k when it was built 10 years ago.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Would love some pictures of that whipstaff mechanism. Or drawings/sketches. Not too difficult to come up with one that would work. Much more difficult to come up with one that would work really well.
it's an interesting question - torque tube twisted by the whipstaff makes sense. but how does the tube connect to the quadrants?

and, after all, why do the rudders even have quadrants - seems like they could have tillers instead. in fact - the (now removed) wheel on my boat did not act upon a quadrant. but instead pushed and pulled a small tiller (bar stock) keyed into the rudder below deck.

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Medium conditions?

It's funny you mention a vacuum in the Greek Islands, a place notorious for blowing dogs off chains. I can't imagine this boat would be designed for Mediterranean conditions (which seems like a lot of everything). But designing for medium conditions makes sense. Most J Boats are optimized for 10-12 knots of wind speed, because it turns out, that is what most J Boats sail in.
That makes sense. I saw capital 'Med' and figured Mediterranean conditions...

It got windy by Paros and Naxos but it was 90% putt putt on a nice mono 70er with a great captain and awesome cook...

I'm sure it's usually never like that!

OK Whip staffers.

We've sailed about 12,000 miles using one of these on our Farrier F36 Trimaran. They are excellent.
I'll post a few pictures of the mechanism, which is complicated in our case by the fact that the rudder lifts up to maintain our 18 to 20 inch draft. There is a horizonal axis rudder quadrant that goes to cables which activate the vertical axis rudder quadrant on the rudder stock head. The whole affair terminates at a rudder plug (probably strong enough to lift the entire boat from) using 1/4" Morse style control cables. The boat turns in 300 mile days and consistent speeds up to a hair over 20 knots. The whole affair has been in massive breaking 25-30 foot seas and winds gusting above 85 knots and able to go to weather in those conditions with a fairly light touch on the Whip.
It works.
Here are some pictures

This one is in 25kn of wind winter sailing in the San Juan Islands

P1050750.JPG

Here in 10 knots. Notice you can straddle the whip since it has a slight bend at the tip
IMG_0367.JPG

Whip in an empty cockpit
Cockpit Looking  Aft.JPG

Vertical Quadrant on rudder stock
P1020983.JPG

Horizontal quadrant on tiller whip
AftCabin TillerWhipQuadrant.JPG

Lifted ruder plug
IMG_1167.jpg