Code Zero wind range

From the article about Karma Police from the front page:

"It was only (!) 35 knots at the start area, but it was a fast, wet ride out of Wellington Harbour. We had the number three jib and two reefs in the main, and that was still too much sail area. We were around Cape Palliser by 8 o’clock, on a tight reach under code zero, neck and neck with M1. They shredded their code zero at Palliser and quickly dropped behind, while the wind moved around to the southwest as forecast, and moderated to 15-20 knots."

I always heard that the wind range for a code zero is somewhere around 7-12, but this makes it sound as if they are flying one at somewhere around 25. Someone 'splain it to me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Schnick

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
The upwind / tight reaching range for a zero is fairly low TWS, but a lot of boats use the zero as a chicken chute in the higher wind ranges going deeper downwind also.

The upwind / tight reaching range for a zero is fairly low TWS, but a lot of boats use the zero as a chicken chute in the higher wind ranges going deeper downwind also.
But in thier own words: We were around Cape Palliser by 8 o’clock, on a tight reach under code zero, neck and neck with M1.

Is this likely just a very small code zero, something like a loose luffed jib top in size?

Last edited by a moderator:

NAMT

Super Anarchist
But in thier own words: We were around Cape Palliser by 8 o'clock, on a tight reach under code zero, neck and neck with M1.

Is this likely just a very small code zero, something like a loose luffed jib top in size?

There is a current discussion of Code O's on the Mini thread - look for 'struts/jack poles' in the header.

left hook

Super Anarchist
There is no single design that a Code Zero will follow and they vary widely between sailmakers. Some are designed to be set off poles, some off the stem, some are made to sail tight angles and others for more wide angles. Some are made of light - almost spinnaker cloth - materials while others are closer to that of a genoa. I'll bet that in this case the "code zero" that Karma Police (great name) used was one designed for more heavy air reaching and is not as big or light in material as say the monstrous light air ones that other boats set off of prods.

My 2 cents, YMMV

There is no single design that a Code Zero will follow and they vary widely between sailmakers. Some are designed to be set off poles, some off the stem, some are made to sail tight angles and others for more wide angles. Some are made of light - almost spinnaker cloth - materials while others are closer to that of a genoa. I'll bet that in this case the "code zero" that Karma Police (great name) used was one designed for more heavy air reaching and is not as big or light in material as say the monstrous light air ones that other boats set off of prods.

My 2 cents, YMMV
Yes, that makes sense.

I'll go check out the mini thread.