Coffee

Elegua

Generalissimo
As far as grinders go, the Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill is nice because it is a nice burr grinder that grinds into a bottle with a cap. 

illy is as close to a a nice instant coffee as you might get.  I tend to stop drinking coffee when things get rough. 

Max Rockatansky

DILLIGAF?
Instant? Tongkat Ali with ginseng, Gold Choice brand

EC1C57F6-B95F-42B5-88FB-2014B4FB66AA.jpeg

F8EBFEBF-18C8-42C7-BC65-88A7486B0583.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
Stainless Bialetti arrived.  Now that is a true cup of euro coffee - no wimps need apply.  Making it is easier than drip, clean up is a bit more involved.

coffee.jpg

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
Bialetti sizing if anyone is thinking of getting one.

The '10 cup' really makes like 6 cups (either 6 full strength half demitasse size, or 6 diluted americano mugs)

The '2 cup' size makes one slightly smaller than normal cup.

The '4 cup' makes two decent cups.

The '4 cup' seems the most practical size - is what I would get if doing this all again.  The '10 cup' makes too much even for two big coffee drinkers (yea even if you normally drink like a quart of coffee, this stuff is powerful) but is perfect if you have a small group.  The "2 cup' is perfect if you just want to make a one good sensible sized coffee.

gewoon ik

Flora
Bialetti sizing if anyone is thinking of getting one.

The '10 cup' really makes like 6 cups (either 6 full strength half demitasse size, or 6 diluted americano mugs)

The '2 cup' size makes one slightly smaller than normal cup.

The '4 cup' makes two decent cups.

The '4 cup' seems the most practical size - is what I would get if doing this all again.  The '10 cup' makes too much even for two big coffee drinkers (yea even if you normally drink like a quart of coffee, this stuff is powerful) but is perfect if you have a small group.  The "2 cup' is perfect if you just want to make a one good sensible sized coffee.
italians have smaller cups.

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
Does it use a paper filter?... or do you have one of the ones with a reusable metal filter?

And... How are 'coffee snobs' reacting to the aeroPress?
I think the aero press coffee tastes slightly better with paper filter, but on a boat the metal discs would be more practical (and they do make perfectly acceptable.

and the coffee snobs seem to be fine with the aero press.  I think they just mutter under their breath 'its fine, just its a modern improved French press'

italians have smaller cups.
Those china cups in my photo are in fact proper Demitasse (side story - family got them in the Paris 1900 world expo - I love them).

Perhaps Bialetti is stuck with 'post war rationing' sizing, but the '2 cup' size in particular is almost a perfect 1 cup Demitasse.  Post war rationing I could see that - you could stretch it to like 4 sips each for two people, and that would be your morning and evening 'taste'.

Small coffee, big guns, copious vineyards but they don't drink too much. Fascinating people. 
And very excellent at making some mechanical things (and not so much some other things).

One of my best friends is an Italian patent lawyer - love going to La Scala with her - simple impressive both for the culture but also the engineering from what like 250 years ago. (edit: yes, yes, I know that is young by European standards. But La Scala is somehow particularly special)

But all that said - I somehow self-identify more as French than Italian (edit while in fact am more the ugly German).

Last edited by a moderator:

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
@estarzinger they use expresso cups as a size. And they are small. 
it is the same as a Demitasse:

"An espresso cup is of a typical size of 2-3 fluid ounces and the cup size is about half of the regular cup of coffee. Hence, the espresso cup is also termed as "Demitasse Cup" in French, which is nothing but half a cup."

gewoon ik

Flora
it is the same as a Demitasse:

"An espresso cup is of a typical size of 2-3 fluid ounces and the cup size is about half of the regular cup of coffee. Hence, the espresso cup is also termed as "Demitasse Cup" in French, which is nothing but half a cup."
the italian expresso cup is smaller than a non-italian expresso cup. (no idea of that still is the case).

Comparing cupsizes over different countries is a bit useless. Every country has it own sizes and preferences. Some countries give you a big cup, but they only use the bottom of the cup.