Coffee

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
the italian expresso cup is smaller than a non-italian expresso cup. (no idea of that still is the case).
mmm . . . "A regular Italian espresso is about 2 oz.."

You will note in my picture - I did not fill the Demitasse  to the brim.

I honestly think I am using the correct 'reference size' here.

I have drunk coffee and espresso quite a few places around the world :)

but  . . . whatever . . . I was just trying to help people understand the sizing so they bought the right one for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elegua

Generalissimo
A pre-mix of (good) instant, hot chocolate and powdered milk - is a pretty good quick and easy kick for night watch.
Thanks. I don't like things too sweet, but...I got the habit from my parents to have a stash of chocolate somewhere for, "times of need".  To that I've added having an emergency bottle of Maggie Hot & Sweet or the like to make unpalatable things palatable.  :D  

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
As far as grinders go, the Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill is nice
There are a lot of mills available now that use identical burrs to the Hario, but which fit into the Aeropress.  This is nice if space is at a premium. 

I traded my Hario in for a JavaPresse for this reason (and gave the Hario and a spare Aeropress to my brother which he was living the climber’s vanlyfe). 

Max Rockatansky

DILLIGAF?
Yeah, those Kopi mixes are mostly sugar, but maybe that's the objective? 
For those times one wants instant, I think GC are fairly good tasting all in one and done. I’ve had the Kopi candies and IIRC they are sweeter than the GC coffees

Aeropress wins for quality, though. Bustelo goes in it. 

We started using a Hario Skerton this year. Can grind coarse for the French press and fine enough espresso for the Nanopress. 

View attachment 443048
So... my limited knowledge about coffee only extends to running a La Pavoni manual press at home and a heavy Gaggia grinder at the home office. My understanding has been that the grind needs to be rather (totally) consistent in size for the brew to be excellent.... HOW does this grinder do in that regard?

I'm now on a somewhat (used to be) light weight Trimaran circumnavigating and these types heavy weight coffee equipment excesses are not allowed.... though I would truly enjoy setting up the old Chrome Peacock on the transom steps and handing out free Espressos in the anchorage!

Max Rockatansky

DILLIGAF?
I should mention, the Aeropress inverted method does have potential for injury. Thing came apart as I was flipping it. Cooked the living shit out my hand.

5F072116-490B-4F66-B037-AE1210D20A28.jpeg

Max Rockatansky

DILLIGAF?
Thank y’all, it was recent. And in port, at that.

I grabbed both ‘halves’ to flip the thing over the cup and one hand didn’t move in concert with the other, tilting the plunger, there it went. It was a huge mess, ceiling to floor. I now only grab one ‘side’ and will henceforth keep in the sink. I still believe the AP is the answer for coffee onboard…

Ron Swanson

Los Angeles
Max, the Fellow Prismo on the Aeropress can really help with accidents. Immersion brewing without the inverting. Much more stable and less accident prone.

And pair it with a good hand grinder.

Now if I could just fit a gooseneck onto the Jetboil...I had two accidents with the boat lurching while pouring into the Aeropress. In the same spot on the back on my left hand, of course. Burns suck.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I have a stainless steel French press onboard but I think you guys have convinced me to also bring my old moka pot along. I have a manual burr grinder and a vacuum seal canister for my beans.

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
I have a stainless steel French press onboard but I think you guys have convinced me to also bring my old moka pot along. I have a manual burr grinder and a vacuum seal canister for my beans.
no no no - AJAX - keep extra shit off your boat! 

This is a battle you need to win.  Focus, fight the reflex to bring that one thing.

Seriously.

Only one coffee maker.

You look at each individual piece and think 'that is small it will not matter' but then a year later if you empty the boat you have a ton of excess crap on the dock which in fact does make all sorts of difference.

I'm looking out for you here.  I'm the angel on your shoulder saying - no  :)   Don't listen to than guy with the pitch fork on your other shoulder.

Max Rockatansky

DILLIGAF?
I’m with @estarzinger on that one. F.ex: Madame did have a grinder aboard that she didn’t feel was justified for the space it took up, and kicked it out the boat

but we are fairly strict about unnecessary things/weight. Not only the weight but really just not wanting any extra shit to store, maintain and Jenga when you want to get to whatever else is in the cabinet. The life, to us, is about simplifying, which means less shit. Better boat performance is a perk, in the end 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
no no no - AJAX - keep extra shit off your boat! 

This is a battle you need to win.  Focus, fight the reflex to bring that one thing.

Seriously.

Only one coffee maker.

You look at each individual piece and think 'that is small it will not matter' but then a year later if you empty the boat you have a ton of excess crap on the dock which in fact does make all sorts of difference.

I'm looking out for you here.  I'm the angel on your shoulder saying - no  :)   Don't listen to than guy with the pitch fork on your other shoulder.
The man speaks the truth. It's a constant battle... Honey, that extra dish soap bottle is fine.

No, it's not

How about the 14 coffee cups?

No

Now I've got the moka, a thermos, and a tea pot. And you will suffer with pre-ground, no grinder. That's it for the hot water/coffee/chocolate options...

I just helped a buddy empty his 53 year old boat's (his dad passed it on to him) aft lazarette. Amazing. Truly amazing.  I'm sure it was the "Well, it's back there, not in the way, so maybe I'll need another XYZ." 

He was also wondering why his boat had a permanent list to starboard. Well....

Now if I can just convince him to remove the custom wind-vane contraption....

Elegua

Generalissimo
I'm weak, so we have to do a purge once a year.

We got a free set of very heavy boat china with a full service for eight and I had the distinct impression that a small list went away when we got rid of most of it. 

When I bought the boat I took off enough PO stuff to raise the waterline at around 3". According to the ORC, my sink is 21.42kg/mm.  So....that's theoretically around 1,628 kg removed!  

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I'm weak, so we have to do a purge once a year.

We got a free set of very heavy boat china with a full service for eight and I had the distinct impression that a small list went away when we got rid of most of it. 

When I bought the boat I took off enough PO stuff to raise the waterline at around 3". According to the ORC, my sink is 21.42kg/mm.  So....that's theoretically around 1,628 kg removed!  
The need to weigh for racing is helpful. Literally everything has to come out. Not everything has to go back on...

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
Ajax - btw, I think you are the only one here who has sailed with me on Hawk.  I feel a bit of responsibility to get you started off properly.  Pls dont take my hmmm directness as any sort of criticism - it is all offered with the best feelings and intentions.

There is a lot that consumer culture has to answer for, and sailing with the proper mindset can put a lot of that right.

Also you should be aware that there is a well known quantum mechanics phenomena with sail boats - they are way bigger on the inside than on the outside (at least the good ones). In part that is a good thing because many look tiny and hopeless for long distant cruising from the outside, but it is also a bad thing because a metric shit ton of stuff can get socked away and forgotten.

Latest posts