Come to Nevada...

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
Yep, the first amendment is so special that it gets it's own little space where it can be practiced.

first-amendment-area-2.jpg

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
What a clusterfuck that is starting to look like.

Maybe I am missing part of the story, but if he was paying the feds up til 93, it seems he acknowledged, at least at one time, that the feds own the land and he has to pay them. If you lease something for 10 years or 100 years, it does not mean you can one day declare it yours and stop paying. The other thing that is not clear from any of these stories is where the turtle fits in to this. Is it just about money or is it about the turtle or is it both, and if so then how is the turtle and the money related? At least on the surface, it seems like the feds are doing what they should, albeit in a less than tactful manner.

With that being said, for over a decade we have seen the govt creating these free speech zones, and it is just as offensive to see it here as it was back when they were doing it during the Iraq war under GWB. We are at a pretty low point of govt respect for the BoR, from the govt stockpiling personal and private data and communication to govt approved free speech zones. It does not make me feel good about where we are and where we are going.

Death Roll

Super Anarchist
Maybe I am missing part of the story, but if he was paying the feds up til 93, it seems he acknowledged, at least at one time, that the feds own the land and he has to pay them. If you lease something for 10 years or 100 years, it does not mean you can one day declare it yours and stop paying. The other thing that is not clear from any of these stories is where the turtle fits in to this. Is it just about money or is it about the turtle or is it both, and if so then how is the turtle and the money related? At least on the surface, it seems like the feds are doing what they should, albeit in a less than tactful manner.
I'm guessing that the turtle is a convenient reason the feds came up with to stop sending him letters and do something a little more forceful to get the deadbeat off of my land.

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
I'm guessing that the turtle is a convenient reason the feds came up with to stop sending him letters and do something a little more forceful to get the deadbeat off of my land.
That makes some sense. I still don't understand why he thinks he can stop paying and not suffer any repurcussions. If his business was profitable, it would seem silly to not pay what he owes and risk losing it. Maybe, he was not making any money after paying the fees? Whatever the case, I suspect there is lots to the story we won't hear. Amaznig that he has that many people riled up to support him not paying his bills.

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
Why be so glum Len?
Not really glum, things are good at casa de len. More like resigned to the idea that things I had hoped would improve and which I put energy towards fixing are hopelessly fucked and only going to get worse. Kind of like realizing you just dumped 100 grand into purchasing and restoring a boat which can never float again. It is water under the bridge, but still dissappointing. It has little near term impact on me personally, and probably not much long term. I would just prefer to not have the country go down this path. But if it must, I can live with it and still be happy.

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
What a clusterfuck that is starting to look like.

With that being said, for over a decade we have seen the govt creating these free speech zones, and it is just as offensive to see it here as it was back when they were doing it during the Iraq war under GWB. We are at a pretty low point of govt respect for the BoR, from the govt stockpiling personal and private data and communication to govt approved free speech zones. It does not make me feel good about where we are and where we are going.
I haven't lived out there but was often out on business and talked to locals. The BLM is a real clusterfuck. We picked up Nevada in 1848 and the government didn't do a lot with it. Generally people were allowed to do pretty much what they wanted with it.

In more recent times, the BLM has been working hard to manage a lot of things more aggressively and not generally doing a very good job of it.

The turtle thing is a joke. We have plenty of gopher tortoises around here and a lot of free range grazing. I've never run across a tortoise that had been crushed by a cow.

Death Roll

Super Anarchist
That makes some sense. I still don't understand why he thinks he can stop paying and not suffer any repurcussions. If his business was profitable, it would seem silly to not pay what he owes and risk losing it. Maybe, he was not making any money after paying the fees? Whatever the case, I suspect there is lots to the story we won't hear. Amaznig that he has that many people riled up to support him not paying his bills.
Yup, I don't understand the support one bit, particularly when it appears to be coming from a sector that if memory serves is quite vocally opposed to people who demand free stuff from the government.
There is a long-standing debate on the fees the feds charge for grazing federal lands, which have not increased since 1986 and are below the cost to graze private lands: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22704766/federal-grazing-fee-stays-same-rekindles-debate

When I'm king, I'm going to increase that fee to stop what appears to be a ridiculous subsidy while simultaneously abolishing the production of corn-based ethanol in order to mitigate the impact on the price of beef. I will call these policies ribeyepolitik

Last edited by a moderator:

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
I haven't lived out there but was often out on business and talked to locals. The BLM is a real clusterfuck. We picked up Nevada in 1848 and the government didn't do a lot with it. Generally people were allowed to do pretty much what they wanted with it.

In more recent times, the BLM has been working hard to manage a lot of things more aggressively and not generally doing a very good job of it.

The turtle thing is a joke. We have plenty of gopher tortoises around here and a lot of free range grazing. I've never run across a tortoise that had been crushed by a cow.
So something like claiming squatters rights? I don't know anything about the desert tortoise, so I can't really speak to the risks, but in general when the govt starts to restrict land use to protect one species, it seems they cause more harm than good. I just read "A Season on the Allegheny", which provided some insight into how managed or mismanaged federal land often is, and how all the varying special interests play a part in that.

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
Yup, I don't understand the support one bit, particularly when it appears to be coming from a sector that if memory serves is quite vocally opposed to people who demand free stuff from the government.

There is a long-standing debate on the fees the feds charge for grazing federal lands, which have not increased since 1986 and are below the cost to graze private lands: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22704766/federal-grazing-fee-stays-same-rekindles-debate

When I'm king, I'm going to increase that fee to stop what appears to be a ridiculous subsidy while simultaneously abolishing the production of corn-based ethanol in order to mitigate the impact on the price of beef. I will call these policies ribeyepolitik
I am with you on the ethanol thing, and I have a much bigger list of stupid subsidies which would go as well. Although my guess is you probably have most if not all on your list already.

Death Roll

Super Anarchist

I am with you on the ethanol thing, and I have a much bigger list of stupid subsidies which would go as well. Although my guess is you probably have most if not all on your list already.
It's going to be a bloodbath. The nice thing about being king is not having to worry about reelection.

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD

You want to feel bad. Look at USDA and sugar in south Florida.

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
It's going to be a bloodbath. The nice thing about being king is not having to worry about reelection.
OT, but when my kids were little, 4 or 5, and they asked in school what they wanted to be when they grew up, my son said "happy" my daughter said "a dictator". It was interesting raising the two of them together.

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
OT, but when my kids were little, 4 or 5, and they asked in school what they wanted to be when they grew up, my son said "happy" my daughter said "a dictator". It was interesting raising the two of them together.
If your son just learned to do as he was told they would both be happy.

You want to feel bad. Look at USDA and sugar in south Florida.
You can make ethanol from sugar.

tuk tuk Joe

Super Anarchist
SEA
Latest: 277 cattle have been “confiscated” by “strike teams” …. will the poor be eating steak? Not a fucking chance…. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts