Complete race boat instrument system

Ron Swanson

Los Angeles
After 20,000 miles I've been happy with my NKE system. Reliable. I've gotten decent results (AP especially) without spending much time on calibrations. A fairly basic setup will meet your needs.

On calibrating, there are so many issues but to name a few:

• Runners rotate the rig
  • Mainsail pressure on spreaders rotate the rig
  • Wind shear 
  • Are you sure there's no current when calibrating?

Point being, I think you can spend many hours trying to get that last 5% that is time that could be better spent if you are not at a Grand Prix level.

That said, I haven't much experience with B&G so can't really compare to provide better insight. I can say that my old H2000 Hercules AP system was not up to the job. 

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Older Raymarine plotters cant do current, had that conversation with Raymarine
I am pretty sure that my old C80 plotter, which I replaced a few years ago, showed a current vector. The data was pretty low quality though as you couldn't get a good leeway calibration in the BSP / HDG / COG complex.

Sailabout

Super Anarchist
I am pretty sure that my old C80 plotter, which I replaced a few years ago, showed a current vector. The data was pretty low quality though as you couldn't get a good leeway calibration in the BSP / HDG / COG complex.
Could well have but it came from the almanac for the charted area.
If there is no data like most of the pleasureboat areas of asia, you get nothing or useless data.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Could well have but it came from the almanac for the charted area.

I doubt it, as it used to show tidal sets that are impossible in the Solent (ie due North/South in the W Solent), as well as changing substantially from tack to tack!

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I am pretty sure that my old C80 plotter, which I replaced a few years ago, showed a current vector.
I am pretty sure that the C series calculated "current" by comparing your heading with your gps direction and adding a vector arrow for the difference.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
I am pretty sure that the C series calculated "current" by comparing your heading with your gps direction and adding a vector arrow for the difference.
I would guess that it did the full trig calculation of BSP/HDG versus SOG/COG? The issue is that the accumulated calibration error of your system plus leeway is potentially of similar or greater magnitude than the tidal vector.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I would guess that it did the full trig calculation of BSP/HDG versus SOG/COG? The issue is that the accumulated calibration error of your system plus leeway is potentially of similar or greater magnitude than the tidal vector.
yes, and 100% agree. I never trusted the vector *except* as a general indicator of the trend, not as an absolute.

George Hackett

Super Anarchist
Went out for a day sail and thought you might like to see?

230F57A9-A005-4F35-BE37-CEA0636F9E6C.jpeg