Completed Evolution of the Super Mac - now pictures of winning boats?

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
After 5 months of digging, and thanks to many here who helped provide leads, I believe I have the history of "the longest (recurring) freshwater race on earth" - recently known as the Super Mac on Lake Michigan-Huron. A summary appears below.

I am now trying to gather up pictures of all the winners in action (from any race). What I have so far appears in subsequent posts below.

• I have a picture of the 1981 winning Peterson 34 Cadence coming from the owner.
  • I have not found any pictures of the 1985 winning J/35 Double Digits or the 2009 winning NM-46 Natalie J (plenty of the TP52).
  • And better pics of any I have below would be most welcome.
I plan to post this on Facebook and offer it to a few other Lake Michigan sailing sites (unpaid).

If any of you can help, I would be most grateful.

Evolution Super Mac.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
First winner in 1975, Scaramouche, and I am not certain this is the right one - a Frers 54?

SM Scaramouche3.jpg

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
1977 winner, Sassy (later Brassy), again I am not certain this is the right one - a custom C&C 52? I have found many pics of the later 78' Maxi Sassy.

SM Sassy.jpg

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
1987, IOR Winner, Moody Blue, Van Dam/NM-36. I am missing the IMS winning J/35 Double Digits.

SM Moody Blue.jpg

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
Not being really familiar with these races, how is Super Mac defined? Chi to Mac and then to Huron? Do competitors finish the first leg then have a new start for the second?

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Not being really familiar with these races, how is Super Mac defined? Chi to Mac and then to Huron? Do competitors finish the first leg then have a new start for the second?
Right or wrong I am including any yacht club organized race that started from Chicago and finished in Port Huron or Sarnia, or vice versa. All of them were run as "extensions" of the better known annual CYC Race to Mackinac or Bayview Mac, with competitors crossing the finish lines of those races and continuing on to Port Huron/Sarnia or Chicago - in fact Super Mac competitors were/are required to also enter the CYC or BYC Mac races. There is no new start, and the elapsed time for the Super Mac is the total time (not just the 'second leg'). Competitors are eligible for the 'shorter annual Macs' and the "Super Mac" races in those years - and some have won both in their winning years.

Only the last two were officially called Super Mac races, though the 2000 Millennium Race was also unofficially called a Super Mac in newspapers at the time (IOW, the first reference to the term I know of). The first race in 1975 was called the Centennial Race, and the 1977 thru 1989 races were evidently commonly referred to as the "Sarnia Race" though officially called the "Chicago-Sarnia International Yacht Race" at the time. All noted in post #1 attachment.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Not ideal, but a better picture than the one above of the C&C 61 Sassy (as Brassy under a subsequent owner). Hopefully I will find a better picture of her as Sassy...

SM Sassy2.jpg