conversation starter

chester

Super Anarchist
yer "prolific"!   :D

bitter sweet the inclusion of several ontario built boats...RIP canadian boat building.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Here's CRUISING WORLD's updated 2019 list of 40 best cruising boats. I like it. Figured you CA guys neeeded something new to talk about.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/40-best-sailboats/
The Moore 24 is the 40th all-time best CRUISING boat ever? I want some of what they're smoking... no wait, I gotta drive home...

This list primarily reminds me what an old fogey I am, I have no knowledge whatever of the ten newest boats on the list. Very interesting range of types and configurations though.

FB- Doug

slap

Super Anarchist
I had a Pearson Vanguard for many years.  I would not have put it on that list.  I now have a J/32 - a far, far better boat.

Running joke with my wife is that since the J/32 is a couple of inches shorter than the Vanguard, I've downsized.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
I had a Pearson Vanguard for many years.  I would not have put it on that list.  I now have a J/32 - a far, far better boat.

Running joke with my wife is that since the J/32 is a couple of inches shorter than the Vanguard, I've downsized.
I talked to a Vanguard owner who disagreed with the notion it had rugged construction.  In his view, it was designed as a LIS raceboat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to a Vanguard owner who disagreed with the notion it had rugged construction.  In his view, it was designed as a LIS raceboat.
Rugged and good sailing capabilites are not synonomous.  I had a CCA design and quickly realized I did not like sailing at a 25% heel all the time, nocking my head and wanted to go to windward once in awhile and so I jumped ship.

But if yer dollars are sparse and ya wanna get out there.  There ya go!

slap

Super Anarchist
It had sloppy, heavy construction.    The hull was thick, but not particularly well done - the wetting out of the fiberglass was poorly done in spots that were reasonably easy to access during construction. The tabbing of the bulkheads was somewhat careless, and the port toerail had been installed by idiots causing endless leaking problems.   They had put the toerail too far outboard, moved it inboard, and fastened it down but did not fill in the old holes they had put in.  Since the toerail covered the old holes it wasn't visible from the deck.

LIS raceboat?   Light air performance was pretty bad.  It didn't help that the boat weighed a ton more than the design weight.

Streetwise

Super Anarchist
Lake Champlain
It looks like that is their list of best sailboats, and they link to another list of the best cruising sailboats (from 2013). Maybe that is why you are seeing some surprises.

Congrats to Bob on #1!

Last edited by a moderator:

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
It seems to be a list of 40 grounbreaking or notable boats, but not necessarily the best. The Moore is a great example of an early UDLB, the Catalina 30 represents the pinacle of volume production, and the Swan is indeed one of the best looking out there. I am not sure this buys them a spot on the list of best cruising boats. 

Horses for courses, but I wonder if Bob might even put an Esprit or Nordic 40 higher on the list than the V40.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
That Jeanneau 43 DS is too ugly to belong there - looks like an Imperial Storm Trooper.

The Alberg 30 was pretty and well built but stupidly narrow and cramped below. The one I sailed also had the worst weather helm I have ever experienced - got blisters on my hands from steering one trip across Georgia Strait in 20 knots.

freewheelin

Anarchist
WLIS
this list was fun, and got me clicking around Cruising World. Landed on Best Performance Cruiser (Bene 30.1). And I quote:

“It’s a cool boat, a nice little starter boat for a family getting into the sport. At $160,000"

Who plops down 160k just getting into the sport haha?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Steele:

Nope, I'm happy with the Valiant 40 in the top spot, for a number of reasons. Not sure where I'd be today without the Valiant 40. I might be on the road, playing bass for the ROLLING STONES.