conversation starter

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Hey Bob,

Nice to see so many of your designs on the top or near the top.  Of course they're a few on the list everybody will quibble with like the Sabre 36 (average) or the Gozzard 36 (huh) but a good overview of a lot of good boats.

Hey Bob,

Nice to see so many of your designs on the top or near the top.  Of course they're a few on the list everybody will quibble with like the Sabre 36 (average) or the Gozzard 36 (huh) but a good overview of a lot of good boats.
My 16 year old went to the Annapolis Boat Show with us last year, and with all the bling on hand, the boat he loved most was a big Gozzard.  It looked like a pirate ship, I was told. 

Any sailboat that impresses an electronics addicted teen and gives them a romantic image of sailing, has to get some credit. 

nebe

RI
Here's CRUISING WORLD's updated 2019 list of 40 best cruising boats. I like it. Figured you CA guys neeeded something new to talk about.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/40-best-sailboats/
Congrats on the #1 slot!  I’m curious if you knew you were designing a big winning design when you first designed the valient 40.  
I have designed things I was not extremely excited about only to find them to be very successful and vice versa 

Never understood the attraction of Gozzards.  Slow, odd layouts.  Would not include Catalinas either.  

Saw a classic C&C off Waikiki last weekend.  Such a distinctive profile. 

Interesting list, pulling so many different variations of what people want.  It would be interesting to know if the top ten has a " top two or five" for most people.  The HR42 has always been a irrational favorite of mine.  Going down the list it's no way to definitely.

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
It's funny, with the exception of the Arpege, the French boats that made it to the list would not be considered "great boats" on this side of the Atlantic.

May be the good designs didn't cross the Atlantic commercially but IMHO, boats like the Gin Fizz, at least one of the early 70s plywood boats, the Cigale 14, at least one Ovni, the RM 1050, the Romanée, the Centurion or the Hood 38 would better deserve a spot in this list than the other French designs (apart from the Arpège) that made it.

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
It's funny, with the exception of the Arpege, the French boats that made it to the list would not be considered "great boats" on this side of the Atlantic.

May be the good designs didn't cross the Atlantic commercially but IMHO, boats like the Gin Fizz, at least one of the early 70s plywood boats, the Cigale 14, at least one Ovni, the RM 1050, the Romanée, the Centurion or the Hood 38 would better deserve a spot in this list than the other French designs (apart from the Arpège) that made it.
An American mag asked their readers. What did you expect? You'll see the European shutters that the manufacturers brought to shows.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
The Vanguard is on the list but not the Catalina 42? 

Time to sell the POA Catalina then- hell, I’ll keep the Vanguard then, it even sports a roller boom furler! Thanks Phil Rhodes for a great cruiser!

Nice work on topping the list Bob!

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Indeed...

I first ever crossed the channel on a Westerly Centaur!
suggesting the centaur was a bit tongue in cheek - although the little contessa and the solid old pearson  is there.  I took a look at the website and given the market it is aiming at I think that almost anything under 35 foot is not in the right price/level of luxury  bracket for the publication.

Some lovely boats there - but I look at the length of them and do an immediate calculation about the cost of keeping one in a marina....

I consider myself to be a cruising sailor - but these yachts are nearly all world girdlers - so I am the wrong sort of cruising sailor and not in the target demographic for Cruising World. 

their sort of sailing is an entirely different kettle of fish

D

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
suggesting the centaur was a bit tongue in cheek - although the little contessa and the solid old pearson  is there.  I took a look at the website and given the market it is aiming at I think that almost anything under 35 foot is not in the right price/level of luxury  bracket for the publication.

Some lovely boats there - but I look at the length of them and do an immediate calculation about the cost of keeping one in a marina....

I consider myself to be a cruising sailor - but these yachts are nearly all world girdlers - so I am the wrong sort of cruising sailor and not in the target demographic for Cruising World. 

their sort of sailing is an entirely different kettle of fish

D
The Centaur is quite slow, doesn't like helmsmen who pinch, doesn't like light airs but it is rather good at exploring tidal areas others can't approach so definitely a good cruising boat for some people. Twin keels that are good performers only appeared 20 years after the Centaur.

Last edited by a moderator: