conversation starter

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Over 1000 sold - Charley got something right.

And considering they are mostly still floating 40 or 50 years later they can't be the life threateningly dangerous pieces of junk the Interweb would lead you to believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
Over 1000 sold - Charley got something right.

And considering they are mostly still floating 40 or 50 years later they can't be the life threateningly dangerous pieces of junk the Interweb would lead you to believe.
I heard they just can't go fast enough to break anything.

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
I am naive in the yacht area, but I have this suspicion that there are  a great many more modern craft that are a great deal better than many of the yachts on this list. Eg the J-boats, of which there are none here, and what about boats like the Pogo 12.5 or Boreals?  Perhaps the readership of Cruising World is demographically biased somehow? Perhaps the question they actually answered is, "What are the best sailboats from the era when serious professionals and successful small business owners could reasonably afford a 30-40 foot yacht?" 

mad

Super Anarchist
The Moore 24 is the 40th all-time best CRUISING boat ever? I want some of what they're smoking... no wait, I gotta drive home...

This list primarily reminds me what an old fogey I am, I have no knowledge whatever of the ten newest boats on the list. Very interesting range of types and configurations though.

FB- Doug
If it wasn’t for old fogies here I wouldn’t have heard of over half on that list.  :p

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
I am naive in the yacht area, but I have this suspicion that there are  a great many more modern craft that are a great deal better than many of the yachts on this list. Eg the J-boats, of which there are none here, and what about boats like the Pogo 12.5 or Boreals?  Perhaps the readership of Cruising World is demographically biased somehow? Perhaps the question they actually answered is, "What are the best sailboats from the era when serious professionals and successful small business owners could reasonably afford a 30-40 foot yacht?" 
No kidding. They don't cruise in J-Boats (huge generalization, sure) or Pogo 12.5's, for starters. Older, less (or zero) racing aspirations, middle of the road for the most part. Just like most of the boats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orion Jim

New England
Congratulations Bob.....but I’m also happy to see two Carl Alberg designs made the list....I just wish it had been the boat he designed which I own and am very fond of. We like to joke that Carl Alberg only ever designed one boat....some were shorter....and some were longer. 

The intro makes it pretty clear, "We polled our Readers and ....". That's the pool who made the list.  It's interesting taking a macro view of all the boats and the common denominator seems to be percieved comfort and safety over other factors, also large production run models for the most part. Not alot of boats out in the margins.  They are mostly the Goldilocks size.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
I suspect the process was gamed somehow to select boats from various eras in order to give the accompanying magazine article some color.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The intro makes it pretty clear, "We polled our Readers and ....". That's the pool who made the list.  It's interesting taking a macro view of all the boats and the common denominator seems to be percieved comfort and safety over other factors, also large production run models for the most part. Not alot of boats out in the margins.  They are mostly the Goldilocks size.
You can fit three bears into a Triton?

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
You can fit three bears into a Triton?
Depends on the bears.

three_bears_1200x794-1110x794.jpg

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
A really nice Landfall 38 from that list will set you back $40K or so and an Alberg 30 should be less than half that, maybe 1/4. It is not all high dollar boats.
I went through the list and yachtworlded most of them just for fun. Prices vary widely of course, based on model age and condition. There are a number of Bermuda 40s out there that aren't outrageous given the boat, for example.

There happens to be a 1990 Morris 36 in my town which I admire every Saturday morning on my bike ride, but the owner wants $149k.  :rolleyes:   At $50k it might be an interesting boat...

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
1 hour ago, KC375 said:

:lol: No figure 8 tracks in Blighty?

That one that 3 wheeled with the left front 2' in the air was impressive.

What a shame that Clarkson had to be such a jerkoff Prima Donna - that show was great.

crankcall

Super Anarchist
Toronto
C&C 38 landfill is nice enough, unless you get the real cruiser setup with the cabin top traveller. Gentleman dont sail to windward was part of this design. The 43 was amazingly better in so many ways , but they only built a dozen or less. 

Canadian boatbuilders also gave the world the Tanzer 22/26 and the 6 window Bayliner.