conversation starter

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
That or a legendary spliff.
The two are not exclusive. It's said JM Keynes was a fan of the Devil's Lettuce.

Turns out on further research Mick never finished his finance degree at LSE, choosing to bank money rather than study it (est. net worth $360m USD). We can imagine him in CFA mode on the tour bus, c. 1975: "Keefy, man -- by all means heroin, yes ... but think about down the road. What are you going to live on when you are seventy, Keef? Do you still want to be out here touring, shaking your arse  for the few pensioners who care? Let's talk about annuities."

IMO the Frers First 42 from the early 80's is one of the best looking boats ever.

Period.
I agree.  Great looking boats.  Are at an age (and market price) where a refit/update can be viable economically.

I also like the Farr designed Firsts - the .7 series.  Not often mentioned as cruising boats, but they are comfortable and fast. 

Keith841

Oregon
Hello Bob,  I have started the preliminary search for a blue water sailboat and am leaning toward buying a used Tayana 37. Since you know how they were built better than anyone, can you tell us about the hull construction and fiberglass thickness on the 70's and 80's  37's?  They are 30 plus years old now. What are your thoughts on the lifespan and strength of these at the age they are now and safety of taking them on passages?  Thanks! 

jamhass

Anarchist
Hello Bob,  I have started the preliminary search for a blue water sailboat and am leaning toward buying a used Tayana 37. Since you know how they were built better than anyone, can you tell us about the hull construction and fiberglass thickness on the 70's and 80's  37's?  They are 30 plus years old now. What are your thoughts on the lifespan and strength of these at the age they are now and safety of taking them on passages?  Thanks! 
Methinks you will gt a quicker and more complete response by going to his website and following the instructions there for consultations.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
I look at those drawings, Bob and I just.....can't process.  in all my sailing days, the biggest "modern" sailboat I've ever been on is an Bianca 42.  I was on that boat about 5-6 times and the next biggest thing I've ever actually sailed on is an Express 37.    I went out on  a Brigantine, "Rendezvous" which is much larger of course, but wood so headroom is about 5' 5" but somehow that doesn't count. Besides, that was only twice.   I look at a boat the size of what you're drawing and I just wonder...what would I do with it all? I think of the huge engine and think...."how would I maintain that?".  I look at the sailplan and think..."How could I possibly deal with that?"  ...and..."This would cost MILLIONS."

I just have to think, what do I need?   I need the boat to be big enough that it's reasonably dry in any sort of at least halfway decent weather. I need a place to sleep. I need a place to cook my oatmeal in the morning. I need a place to spread out a chart and think about where I'm going. I need a place to poop.  I need the rig to be small enough that if I have to, I can haul down an entire sail by hand, by myself when it's "pretty windy".  For some other people, they probably add in a few other things; you, for example need a place to sit and play your guitar.  If I'm "out there" with a partner, which I never will be....but if I was, then WE need a place to sleep in addition to "ME" needing a place to sleep...whoever is on the off-watch.  I need a few square feet to call my own, and she needs a few square feet to call her own.

I'm glad, for you, that you have clients who want things like what you've shown us.  After all, it's how you make a living,  but I just look at the drawings and I dunno...**nothing happens**.   I don't "get"  wanting or needing a cruising boat THAT big.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Me either Alan. But it's not about what you or I want. My client for the big boat has two other boats, a 40'er and a 52'er. He knows what he is getting into.