Coolboats to admire

long time ago I built a boat (Bolger of course) that had an offset daggerboard right up on the port chine. Except for being inside the boat, you could almost call it a leeboard. The only time you really noticed it being off center was when you closely rounded a fixed mark or buoy. The boat pivoted perfectly on that daggerboard like you would expect if you really thought about it. But until you got used to it, turns to port were a little wide and turns to starboard were really tight.

m_q_nada.jpg

The daggerboard trunk.
Windsprint? My dad built the same boat when I was a kid - it was a weird thing to sail, sitting right on that flat plywood bottom. Lots of room but you could feel the bottom flexing with each wave!

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
The bucket in the lower right of this photo was my favorite toy as a kid. I spent hours in the sandbox with it. I remember the rubber exhaust pipes, the white plastic spool for the cable--this one looks pretty close to my memory.

7260277658_da15313e90_o.jpg

But as this is a cool BOATs thread, from that same time period, this was my favorite boat:

windinwillows460.jpg

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
I really like the bend in the bowsprit, whatever that's called. Any idea where they got plans from?
According to his blog it's a John Hesp design.
Justin has sent this plan view of Caol Ila for those interested.
I think she's cool. What a lovely sight to see her sail down the Loch and drop her anchor off an old distillery. No lifelines and plenty of high latitude sailing under her belt. I bet she doesn't break any records but does it with good sea keeping.
Shades of Falmouth quay punt, to my eye.

This one has done some serious voyaging. Curlew.

curlewcominghome.jpg
713677.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
I really like the bend in the bowsprit, whatever that's called. Any idea where they got plans from?
I think she's cool. What a lovely sight to see her sail down the Loch and drop her anchor off an old distillery. No lifelines and plenty of high latitude sailing under her belt. I bet she doesn't break any records but does it with good sea keeping.

curlewcominghome.jpg
713677.jpg
The Carrs live aboard Curlew for 30 years I understand.

Here's a new-built Falmouth Quay Punt:

Alva2.jpg

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia

er that's called. Any idea where they got plans from?

curlewcominghome.jpg
713677.jpg
The Carrs live aboard Curlew for 30 years I understand.

Here's a new-built Falmouth Quay Punt:
Their book `Antarctic Oasis' covers their restoration voyaging and years spent living in South Georgia with their engineless cutter Curlew. It's a great read and should be on any sailor's bookshelf.

Unknown-3.jpeg