Coolboats to admire

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
If we're ogling gaff-rigged boats for a bit, here's the boat that changed my life, if that doesn't sound too self-important

1001Main.jpg

Mrs. Ed stumbled across an advert for her, and we pored over it and pored over it, and could find nothing not to love about the boat. We rang up the vendor and invited him to tell us she was the wrong boat for a couple of middle-aged muppets - I was particularly scared of gaff rigs. He said, no problem, lovely boat, easiest things in the world to sail, been round the world, just the two of us.

The boat had already sold by then in fact, but it did lead to us looking at gaff rigged boats, and falling in love with our current owner and so on.

More stuff on her here

http://www.sandemanyachtcompany.co.uk/details/408/Mead-38-ft-Gaff-Cutter-1926/yacht-for-sale/
That is a wonderful boat Mr. Ed. I could be very happy on her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
Tremendous boats, both the originals and the modern ones. The new ones by Luke Powell and others have done a lot to revitalise traditional boat-building (or did before the banks blew it all away).

As to the original pilot boats, my favourite stories involve one that was bought for the aged and impoverished Anglo-French catholic author Hilaire Belloc. It had a name board on the transom which said "Yacht Guernsey", so it was known as the Guernsey, until someone found out it was a Channel Islands pilot cutter, from Guernsey, and its name was "Yacht". She was a leaky old thing, and doing a cross channel passage one nasty night the two crew on watch were convinced they were going to sink and die. Only one person could man the pump, and so the two of them manned it in turn, but couldn't get ahead of what they were sure was a new and serious leak, and couldn't get the water below the floorboards in the cabin. They didn't bother waking the off-watch crew, because there was nothing much they could do - they did think the boat was going down. What had actually happened was that the floorboards had swollen, and the water already in the cabin was just a thin layer sloshing about - they only realised this when the pump started pumping out rusty water - a sign it was nearly at the bottom.

The real pilot cutters seemed to all have roller reefing mains, and Bill Tilman, their most famous proponent (and most accident prone) was always breaking booms because of the unfair loading that roller reefing placed on them.

Must get back to "work" - will watch the vid later. Thx.

Cool Video of cool boats?

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Victoria, Herreshoff design #66 - Ticonderoga sistership - built at P. Vos in New Zealand in '74, cold-molded kauri.
A thing of beauty...

Here is another off Rhode Island last summer. It was spectating some racing and despite my having a mind like a steel trap, I've forgotten her name. Maybe somebody here knows her. Photos courtesy of $20 Nokia phone.

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0497.jpg

IMAG0495.jpg

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Victoria, Herreshoff design #66 - Ticonderoga sistership - built at P. Vos in New Zealand in '74, cold-molded kauri.
A thing of beauty...

Here is another off Rhode Island last summer. It was spectating some racing and despite my having a mind like a steel trap, I've forgotten her name. Maybe somebody here knows her. Photos courtesy of $20 Nokia phone.
That's either "Big Ti" herself or "Radiant" a Ti copy.

I am pretty sure that is "Radiant" the multiple dodgers don't look like "Ti".