Coolboats to admire

Elegua

Generalissimo
Lower Loslobia
Victoria, Herreshoff design #66 - Ticonderoga sistership - built at P. Vos in New Zealand in '74, cold-molded kauri.
A thing of beauty...

Here is another off Rhode Island last summer. It was spectating some racing and despite my having a mind like a steel trap, I've forgotten her name. Maybe somebody here knows her. Photos courtesy of $20 Nokia phone.
That's either "Big Ti" herself or "Radiant" a Ti copy.

I am pretty sure that is "Radiant" the multiple dodgers don't look like "Ti".
Could it be Whitehawk?

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Victoria, Herreshoff design #66 - Ticonderoga sistership - built at P. Vos in New Zealand in '74, cold-molded kauri.
A thing of beauty...

Here is another off Rhode Island last summer. It was spectating some racing and despite my having a mind like a steel trap, I've forgotten her name. Maybe somebody here knows her. Photos courtesy of $20 Nokia phone.

Could it be Whitehawk?
I think she is too small for Whitehawk, but I could be wrong.....

Last edited by a moderator:

JBE

Auckland, NZ
I was reading the original Sea Spray article on Victoria last year, I wondered what condition she was in now. She looks great.

P Vos built her IIRC.

WmHill

Last I heard, maybe 4 years ago, Vic was in the Caribbean somewhere. The five years I spent being her skipper were thoroughly dreamy, although she was an impossible act to follow. I have spent time on a few terrific boats, and none come close to having Victoria's combination of stunning beauty, raw strength, and smooth relentless speed. L. Francis was a magician, and the boys at P. Vos produced a gem. Five 5/16" laminations of kauri, epoxy bonded, yeah buddy. Here are a couple of interior shots:

http://www.artesedesign.com/sailing/victoria.html

I do not think that the mystery boat is Whitehawk, and she also looks a bit larger than design #66's 72 feet on deck. It is a concept that has been stretched and tweaked more than a few times.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
A thing of beauty...

Could it be Whitehawk?
Bingo …that's it, I remember the name now.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
A thing of beauty...

Could it be Whitehawk?
Bingo …that's it, I remember the name now.
I've just changed the shadows and exposure for this photo and lo and behold: a hawk on the transom..

IMAG0495.jpg

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Well I'll be darned; White Hawk is for sale and interestingly Bruce King drew her lines (in homage to Ticonderoga)

It says built '78 and when I saw her last summer you would have thought she was just launched!

105' O. Lie-Neilsen Custom Ketch White Hawk
BEAM 20' 6"
DRAFT 7' 6"
GUESTS 6
CABINS 3
Year Build: 1978
Asking: US$ 4,850,000
Hull: Wood
Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel

Inspired by L. Francis Herreshoff's famed TICONDEROGA, WHITEHAWK is truly one of Bruce King's finest designs. She has had many items recently repaired, replaced, or improved upon by her present owner. WHITEHAWK is presently fully commissioned and sailing in the New England area. Recently stored inside, rig out, during the winter season at Hinckley Yacht Services, Little Harbor, in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. Prior to that, WHITEHAWK was a successful private and charter yacht in the Caribbean during the winter, fetching $35,000 per week.

A crew of four and a proud, generous owner have maintained and improved this timeless clipper-bowed classic. WHITEHAWK provides an unparalleled sailing experience in a yacht destined to capture the attention and admiration of all who see her.

Contact us.

Tucky

Super Anarchist
Maine
The whole story of building Whitehawk in Maine is a treat with plenty of drama. She was one of the first super boats of the modern era, meaning bigger than the CCA 73' limit, as well as one of the first big cold molded boats.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
dijkstra did the dynarigs. the hull is a perini navi. but i do love his boats! I am a big fan of the lowprofile deckhouses he designs.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
The whole story of building Whitehawk in Maine is a treat with plenty of drama. She was one of the first super boats of the modern era, meaning bigger than the CCA 73' limit, as well as one of the first big cold molded boats.
I've just enjoyed half an hour reading about that and her refit not long ago when they did some extensive work on the hull.

dijkstra did the dynarigs. the hull is a perini navi. but i do love his boats! I am a big fan of the lowprofile deckhouses he designs.
I'm not a great fan of aluminium as a boatbuilding material in boats up to 60 feet until you see an aluminium boat in high latitudes with ice around… then it looks at home.

Tanton Y_M

Super Anarchist
Newport R.I
Talking about L. Francis.

It is to bad that his "Epilogue" has not been build.

I took the time to draw her a la Herreshoff, with later modifications to her bottom.

Epilogue 1.jpg

EpiloguePpic5-JN16-13.jpg