Coolboats to admire

Clove Hitch

Halyard licker
around and about
Last I heard, maybe 4 years ago, Vic was in the Caribbean somewhere. The five years I spent being her skipper were thoroughly dreamy, although she was an impossible act to follow. I have spent time on a few terrific boats, and none come close to having Victoria's combination of stunning beauty, raw strength, and smooth relentless speed. L. Francis was a magician, and the boys at P. Vos produced a gem. Five 5/16" laminations of kauri, epoxy bonded, yeah buddy. Here are a couple of interior shots:

http://www.artesedesign.com/sailing/victoria.html

I do not think that the mystery boat is Whitehawk, and she also looks a bit larger than design #66's 72 feet on deck. It is a concept that has been stretched and tweaked more than a few times.
Great photos. But shit, they remind me I need to add a pennant locker to my project list. I don't know how I've managed to get by this long without one.

Veeger

Super Anarchist
Talking about L. Francis.

It is to bad that his "Epilogue" has not been build.

I took the time to draw her a la Herreshoff, with later modifications to her bottom.

attachicon.gif
Epilogue 1.jpg

attachicon.gif
EpiloguePpic5-JN16-13.jpg
I like the mods.... kind of inspirational even if it's just a tad past my budget.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW

I took the time to draw her a la Herreshoff, with later modifications to her bottom.

attachicon.gif
Epilogue 1.jpg

attachicon.gif
I always thought that would be an ultimate cruising boat, if you happen to have four strong kids to help you crew. I wonder if Bruce King was looking at her when he did Whitehawk, maybe Tad will tell us. I understand Whitehawk has a lot of automatic sailing handling equipment which might lower the kid requirement to two.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North

attachicon.gif
Epilogue 1.jpg

attachicon.gif
I like the mods.... kind of inspirational even if it's just a tad past my budget.
Gorgeous. Can I have one around 45'?

Last I heard, maybe 4 years ago, Vic was in the Caribbean somewhere. The five years I spent being her skipper were thoroughly dreamy, although she was an impossible act to follow. I have spent time on a few terrific boats, and none come close to having Victoria's combination of stunning beauty, raw strength, and smooth relentless speed. L. Francis was a magician, and the boys at P. Vos produced a gem. Five 5/16" laminations of kauri, epoxy bonded, yeah buddy. Here are a couple of interior shots:

http://www.artesedesign.com/sailing/victoria.html

I do not think that the mystery boat is Whitehawk, and she also looks a bit larger than design #66's 72 feet on deck. It is a concept that has been stretched and tweaked more than a few times.
Great photos. But shit, they remind me I need to add a pennant locker to my project list. I don't know how I've managed to get by this long without one.
Peasant!

eliboat

Super Anarchist
That boat of course is partially owned by the infamous ***********. He's been trying to unload it for some time, as I'm sure he would rather have the cash than have to be on the hook for what that thing costs to run. Gorgeous boat built by the best! If I were a billionair, I would probably buy that rather than build a new boat... that's my current poor ass ego talking though. If I ever get that billion, things might change and I could morph into a complete asshole instead of only being a semi asshole now.

This Boat may be too expensive to be cool but man is it awesome.

3819699_2_20111223061417_2_0.jpg

3819699_2_20111223061417_4_0.jpg

WmHill

Well, shit. Should be working, but as a newcomer here, I am finding that SA is an irresistible time-sink; talking about Victoria has sent me thumbing through the archives, so here're some images from the Master Mariners race on SF Bay, maybe 1991. Vic was not an official participant but we were shadowing the big boys, in this case the California state tall ship Californian, and the brigantine Rendezvous. These shots are the reach to the finish line at the Bay Bridge, between the SF waterfront and Treasure Island. It had been a pretty quiet race, but in these shots the wind had picked up quite a bit.

Calif_01.jpg

romaine

Super Anarchist
A cool boat. If you don't need huge, or even large, I've been inside these and they are usually very nice. I don't think 55K is a bad place to start. If anyone wants me to go look at this for you, I'd be glad.

1983 Baba 30, many upgrades - $55 (Everett)

00g0g_gfQBNtnItPM_600x450.jpg

I am offering La Gitana (the gypsy) for sale at $55,000. It has received many upgrades while I owned it. Here is a partial list:

New Trojan batteries 2013

Solar panels in 2013

Roller furling on jib

Garmin GMR18 Radar

Garmin 2408 Chart-plotter

Garmin GSD 22 sounder

Raymarine autopilot

VHF

Dodger

Dickinson Newport propane heater/fireplace

PSS Dripless shaft seal

Lee Sails; main, staysail, jib

AM/FM/ CD player
Ooh, ooh! Baba 30! I love this design. SWMBO is quite taken, also. We'll be buying one soon and will be moving to PT. The interiors of these boats are just sumptuous. The butterfly skylight/hatches are nonpareil.

All hail the Maestro!

Last edited by a moderator:

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
L. Francis Herreshoff, a true master, my Rocinante was a magical boat, not unlike the Francis Lee. Designed to be rowed w/ 1/ sweeps, should sail herself all day. 26' long, 6'4" wide and the bubbles from the canoe stern mesmerizing.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Geez, those shots of C from the MMR are epic. I was out there sailing around watching, but that was in '90 I think. I should find the photos. Breathtaking boat to see sailing

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Here is Rendezvous, notice the mates frantically furling topsails aloft.
Those are some great pictures. Some of those sails have bulges like they need to go on a diet. :eek:

Looking at all the water they are pushing around, I wonder how big an engine you would have to install to make the boat do that? It's producing an amazing amount of power using sticks and threads.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Jody:

I'd call that a fantail stern and a nice one. Don't much care for the rest of the boat though. Looks to me like Bill's mind went blank after he drew the stern.

I hold Bill to a higher standard.