Coolboats to admire

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
On the ferro dinghy, it's not just the bow that was light years ahead of the pack. The hull shape is very reminiscent of some high performance keelboats today

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
On the ferro dinghy, it's not just the bow that was light years ahead of the pack. The hull shape is very reminiscent of some high performance keelboats today
Except you can see that Bob was still following that thought that the stern needed to come back in rather than stay all the way out. and that the waterplane was supposed to have some semblance of balance. Look at that DWL--sublime. Oh, and there is a lot of tuck-up in the run.

Oh, and we forgive you for the raking rudder. That was in vogue.

for-nsw-f15-small-jpg.JPG

But it is very very cool! Looks very slippery. Did you ever build one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Fast:

No, I had no money. I ate dog food back then as I lived right next door to the Tyrell's dog food factory. It was the cleanest factory you ever saw. Old Mrs. Tyrell would throw dented cans down to me from her balcony right next to my shack on the canal. They couldn't sell the dented cans. The stew was very good. It had actual green peas and carrots in it. John Albertson was the factory manager. John owned a Standfast 40. He was a good guy and gave me dog food by the case at times.

Here I am at 19. That black hull was done by carefully going back and forth with a drafting pen. It took a long time and was not fun. But I liked the look. Note the spade rudder on a cruising boat, the year 1965.

familysailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
What's that just at your stern in the third photo? Failed mutineer?
Mutineer of sorts. :D Exgirl friend who i thought was great which proved to a real clinger and a drag.

The Buccaneer originally had a universal that had rusted in place. The pictures shows a temporary outboard mount that was more a sea anchor. All gone now with a trick removable bronze mount.
Cool ride... I'm sure it sails much better without the Klingon.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I was 17 and still in high school when I drew this one. That 1.69 GPA did not come by accident. I was distracted.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Just wait. If I found a tube marked "Historic 1" there has to be "Historic 2" tube somewhere here. I know I have older stuff.

I wish the other designers would dredge up their old stuff and post it. I'd love to see what Bruce King was drawing when he was 17 years old.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Jon:

I used to practice writing my name with Bill Garden's address on Commodore Way. I was and will always be a great admirer of Bill's work.

eliboat

Super Anarchist
Bob that Ferro dinghy is really cool. It reminds me of a Flying 15 except with a plumb bow... something about the sweep of the foils. As far as the rudder rake goes, I agree it looks funny now. Check out the Viper 640; it has a similar rake which I have heard they might be changing as a class.

Shit...Fastayacht beat me to it!

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Jon: Oh, let me see, tap, tap ,tap on the old HP11C.

Too much!

We could have built it with welded mesh, not chicken wire. It might have come in at about 2.73 lbs. per sq. ft.

Shit, who in their right mind would want a ferro cement dinghy?

I posted this stuff for laughs. Don't go getting all sensible with me please. It's Friday night! I do do sensible on Friday night.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
No wonder you are so good at yacht design, you were great when you were a snot nosed kid. Thank God you stuck with it!! The sailing world is better for it.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
FU, I was never snot nosed. I carry a "hanky" in my pocket to this day. I can't leave home without a "hanky". I was programmed.

So, as dry nosed as ever I t hank you Kim. I was a kid trying hard to be what they told me I could never be.

There, I said it.