Coolboats to admire

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I'd like to be Mark Knophler when I grow up. Maybe half Mark Knophler and half George Jones. I want to sing and play.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
I'd like to be Mark Knophler when I grow up. Maybe half Mark Knophler and half George Jones. I want to sing and play.
I think we see you already 'sing and play' on your drafting table and CAD keyboard, Bob. Long may you make your music.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Very nice of you to say That Sailby. Wait till you hear me sing.

Mark Knophler says he drew guitars all day when he was in school. My kind of guy.

monsoon

Super Anarchist
ELIS
Fast:

No, I had no money. I ate dog food back then as I lived right next door to the Tyrell's dog food factory. It was the cleanest factory you ever saw. Old Mrs. Tyrell would throw dented cans down to me from her balcony right next to my shack on the canal. They couldn't sell the dented cans. The stew was very good. It had actual green peas and carrots in it. John Albertson was the factory manager. John owned a Standfast 40. He was a good guy and gave me dog food by the case at times.

Here I am at 19. That black hull was done by carefully going back and forth with a drafting pen. It took a long time and was not fun. But I liked the look. Note the spade rudder on a cruising boat, the year 1965.

I really like this. I see hints of the Norseman 447 in it.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Alcay:

About age 14 actually. Before that I wanted to be in the Coast Guard. I wanted to sail on the EAGLE and pilot a surf rescue boat. At 10 I wanted to be a vet.

Alcatraz5768

Super Anarchist
Not a bad guess then Bob, only 4 years out. Weirdly up until about 12 or 13 I wanted to be a designer, however my high school home room was the woodwork workshop, so my dream changed to being a boatbuilder, which is what I did from 16. I did my apprenticeship (5 years) then changed careers because my asthma kept playing up, also because when I was building boats, I wasn't doing any boating at all, which I missed. Now I work on cars all day and have my yacht in a shelter in the back yard to work on which is a great balance for me. I also race on OPBs which gives me my fix.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
No date on this one. I'd say I was 19 years old. I know exactly what I was thinking about when I drew this.

No date on this one. I'd say I was 19 years old. I know exactly what I was thinking about when I drew this.

Wow! Have you ever tried that (very) high aspect gaff sail? I don't recall ever seeing one quite that high. Even "Leg O' Mutton" sails with vestigial gaffs don't really get that tall. Or have I missed something in my mispent youth (and hard earned old age)?

A little work and you've got a modern flat top mainsail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
IRC can't tell them apart - a gaff main is treated like one of those big square headed mains. And they treat non-overlapping jib/staysail cutter rigs as one big headsail, I think.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
No worries Ed. Don't think any of these boats will ave to deal with IRC.

I published all the old drawings I scanned on my blog. Thanks to Sonadora for his patient help teaching me to blog.

zedboy

Eastern Med
I published all the old drawings I scanned on my blog. Thanks to Sonadora for his patient help teaching me to blog.
Thanks Bob, majorly majorly made my day.

We just moved in to our new house, and we're gradually dealing with putting up pictures. Haven't asked the boss yet, but I should get to put up pictures of boats in at least one room, I figure. I think at least one of these sail plans will have to be on the list - maybe the Rhodes-style one.

Dunno when I'll be back in my Dad's attic next, but somewhere up there are one or two of the boats I drew when I was 12. I didn't come anywhere close to you but it was lots of fun. Don't think I ever got in trouble for it.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL

I'm not sure that learning to blog is consistent with your claim to be a curmudgeon. A real one would say, "Harumph! What's a blog? Who needs it? I don't do that!" I see them all the time. They're waiting to die, which is different from living.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Tom:

I am my own style of curmudgeon.

Tucky:

Funny you ask. Most of the "client's" names you see on the drawings are friends of mine from high school. "Hey! Can I draw you a boat? Can I" Can I""

Fred McKinnon was a Boeing engineer. He built that boat or one very similar. The boat is still around and looks great. I'm proud of it.

My dog is snoring.

Zedder:

We can discuss you acquiring an original sail plan when the time comes.

I'd love to see you old sketches.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Tucky:

Funny you ask. Most of the "client's" names you see on the drawings are friends of mine from high school. "Hey! Can I draw you a boat? Can I" Can I""

Fred McKinnon was a Boeing engineer. He built that boat or one very similar. The boat is still around and looks great. I'm proud of it.
I thought the CT 54 was your first built design. Have you got any other earlier ones?