Coolboats to admire

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
Blackjenner---the guys who built that draketail you spotted build some other cool stuff!

This one rocks:

http://bergboats.com/wooden-boats-for-sale/atkin-flyer/

header-atkin-flyer-mod-960x300.jpg

Who can resist a William Atkin design? And with a Jaguar V-12 no less!!!
Is that dock rash on the side? If so, it's a crime!
I think it's just light reflecting in the gloss varnish.

I'd wager the owner is deaf by now with no ear muffs.
As long as the exhausts are properly muffled, that V-12 will sound very soft and smooth, more like a cat purring than a lion roaring

Grey Dawn

Anarchist
Annapolis
Blackjenner---the guys who built that draketail you spotted build some other cool stuff!

This one rocks:

http://bergboats.com/wooden-boats-for-sale/atkin-flyer/

header-atkin-flyer-mod-960x300.jpg

Who can resist a William Atkin design? And with a Jaguar V-12 no less!!!
Is that dock rash on the side? If so, it's a crime!
I think it's just light reflecting in the gloss varnish.

I'd wager the owner is deaf by now with no ear muffs.
As long as the exhausts are properly muffled, that V-12 will sound very soft and smooth, more like a cat purring than a lion roaring
Leave the mufflers off and cruise down Ego Alley on a summer weekend. Stop at Pusser's for a drink. That will put those Cigarette boats to shame.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
What I could find with Google:

Yarrow Sail - 1,390 lbs displ. #233 16'1" x12'11" Daysailer - deep keel, round bilge - ref: SmallBoats Ch#25

(12'11" ?? that was in wikipedia)

3813313_2_20111212125120_0_0.jpg

3813313_-1_20111212125120_2_0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
From Bolgers Small Boats:

16' 1" x 12' 11" x 5' 0" x 2' 6".

Main 110, jib 37, total 147.

Ballast 400. Disp not shown. Basically a copy of a boat modeled and built by Archibald Fenton of Gloucester.

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Bolger Yarrow recently sold on eBay. Daysailor based on the Tancook Whaler from. One of his prettier small boats.

%24_12.JPG
That's a very cool boat. Wish I'd seen it...

FB- Doug

I'm glad I didn't. Might make my Polynavicular Morbus act up again.

Gorgeous boat - too bad Bolger got so focused on oddball practicality at the expense of aesthetics.

That's what I like best about him. If a boat looks like it will do what I have in mind doing that day, it's beautiful to me.

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
If a boat looks like it will do what I have in mind doing that day, it's beautiful to me.
Did you make that up? Very nicely put.
It's been my way of living for a long time. I've had a blast on shitty sailboats, shittier tri-hull powerboats, Bayliners, jet ski's, you name it.

We haven't had enough wind to make me want to sail for weeks (but 92L may change that). I've been messing with my crappy old pontoon boat and POS old square Sylvan jonboat. Neither belongs anywhere near a "coolboats" thread, but they're cool to me.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I'd like to see some other angles of that Bolger boat. Bolger had "the eye". I like everything he did, even the weirdos.

austin1972

Super Anarchist
I don't care for that stern. To my eye it looks clumsy.

But I like the boat.
I'm looking at it from a pure utility standpoint. That's a great pan fish/swimming/hangout platform for an inland lake. You can beach it too. A huge plus in my water playground.

3ce37d06-c459-46b3-82b3-ff62d108e6e3.jpg

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
Re-new to my club. Builder did it the old way. Felled trees on an island in Minn and dragged them across ice in winter. Etc. Etc. 40 years building. Sailed south for retirement. Later owner added the pilot house.Current owner found it and brought it back to our club.

20140913_141442.jpg

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Re-new to my club. Builder did it the old way. Felled trees on an island in Minn and dragged them across ice in winter. Etc. Etc. 40 years building. Sailed south for retirement. Later owner added the pilot house.Current owner found it and brought it back to our club.
She looks great, except for the dog house.