Last edited by a moderator:

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/140929_a18477-600.jpg

140929_a18477-600.jpg

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
In Holland there's the skutsjes (the big boats) who have a highly competitive class in Friesland. Great fun to watch too! and there's the smaller ones called Lemsteraken (there are more boats depending on the geography where they originate, like hoogaars from zeeland, etc).

Ever since some people decided to build a racing lemster aak, and designers like Hoek and Dijkstra got in they really started moving... They now have all modern go fast goodies, shaped boards and modern sails.

Heavy boats that literally thunder through the water. I remember doing the dutch championship on those things. Being used to some larger yachts where I race on, I took my jacket off. Then I saw the foredecker, who was jacketless up until that point in full gear. So I started wondering... 2 minutes later I also wore my jacket again.... Unable to hear the shouts from the back of the boat because of the roar the waves make. great fun!

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
We moored up next to one about 15 years ago.

The sails were top spec dacron dyed brown. Most of what would have been wire once was dynema or vectran, the 'wooden' blocks were harken with a wooden cover. I think some of the spars may have been painted carbon but that wasn't confirmed.

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
Big up to to Dutch yott culture. Our favourite berth all year by a long way was in Enkhuizen, between the finest smoked fish shop and the finest gin shop. It was very moving to tie up in the very places where their ships returned from the East Indies making their fortunes.

The attached image was part of one of the meals of our life.

IMG_0477.JPG

Yerfdog

Paris
Here's the relevant bit from Bert Haanstra's film "Stem van het Water". Powerful and Coolboats indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Seeing the underside of that boat on it's side made me think - they have almost a scow hull shape going there. Also, that curved gaff on the main has a kind of "fathead" thing going. Both are hardly in the same league of sophistication as the modern stuff but the similarities may explain why those boats are so surprisingly fast.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Further innovations, the leeboards, you can move them forward and backwards :)

My moments on those boats,

Sailing at night in biggish winds, sailing one doublehanded, being beached for 36 hrs almost without food on a sandplate, doing the strontrace, sailing on the boat that my grandparents owned (for a living) see the photo of the painting my grandmother made of this boat. I only knew after her passing away she made a while collection of these.

IMG_1319 (800x600).jpg

I was the only grandson who followed a bit in their footsteps making a living of sailing and building boats, so they liked me for that, only my solo ocean crossing they found a bit weird :)

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
This is how it looks like when you race an X-40 against a (albeit new and windtunnel-tested) Aak

Link

(In German w/o subtitles, sorry. Bottom line is: Looks fantastic from onboard and in HD, X-40 wins, but only because it's faster when it comes to tacking).

Oh, by the way: wait for the gennaker. On the Aak.

QBF

Super Anarchist
This is how it looks like when you race an X-40 against a (albeit new and windtunnel-tested) Aak

Link

(In German w/o subtitles, sorry. Bottom line is: Looks fantastic from onboard and in HD, X-40 wins, but only because it's faster when it comes to tacking).

Warber is a beautiful boat!

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC

Link

They're both beautiful boats

The Lemsteraak is not putting it's best foot forward, they should have been racing across the flats on a dropping tide.

No contest!

FB- Doug

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
That is some nice photography Mark.

I think the yellow boat is a Luders.

The other one is a Lyle Hesse cutter BCC.

I'd take the Luders. Classic old short DWL design. The kind of bat you need to wear a tie when you sail it.

I love ties. I never wear them but I love them.
Bob I know I'm 8 days late but that just made my day.

"Hey guys I got the new boat, meet at the club around 10, don't be late & you all have to wear ties"