Coolboats to admire

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
An exotic visitor to our East Coast (that's English east coast) creek. I thought she was one of yours Mr. Perry, but she's described on the netwebs as "Dickerson 50", though a little ambling around the subject suggests that those are ketches with centre cockpits. A handsome powerful, safe looking boat anyway, and we don't get many Pacific based boats round these parts.

SLIPWAY1.JPG

SLIPWAY2 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I know the owner of the Dickerson. I went to high school with him. He has put some miles on that boat. It was the only one built.

Bryanjb

Super Anarchist
Various
That won't fall off.

Olaf,

I think that is the 'elephant foot' type of keel. Low CG and it would sit nice on a trailer. Bob and Sons had a real time on that bulb, it is a real real challenge to surface in CAD. It is a hoot to work with Bob on keel and bulb shapes, we had our fun with this one.

jsyQSrN.jpg

That won't fall off.

Olaf,

I think that is the 'elephant foot' type of keel. Low CG and it would sit nice on a trailer. Bob and Sons had a real time on that bulb, it is a real real challenge to surface in CAD. It is a hoot to work with Bob on keel and bulb shapes, we had our fun with this one.

jsyQSrN.jpg
At first glance, that looks like some sort of ancient galley, I expect to see sweeps sticking out the sides.

Dog

Super Anarchist
That won't fall off.

Olaf,

jsyQSrN.jpg
At first glance, that looks like some sort of ancient galley, I expect to see sweeps sticking out the sides.
I thought it looked like a new design for a tanker.

QBF

Super Anarchist
I've always been a fan of Lock Crowther trimaran's, and here is one for your review.

Ave Gitana is a sister ship to legendary Australian Trimaran Bullfrog / Verbatim. Line honours and new holder of Solo Tasman record after 28 years.

Designed for shorthanded long distance ocean racing but still roomy enough and with enough payload for extended cruising for 2-4 people. True ocean going trimaran.

This boat can be yours for about $200,000 US dollars.
http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sailing-trimaran/crowther-40-cruising-racing/157282

Crowther 40.1.png

Crowther 40.3.png

Crowther 40.2.jpg

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
I've always been a fan of Lock Crowther trimaran's, and here is one for your review.

Ave Gitana is a sister ship to legendary Australian Trimaran Bullfrog / Verbatim. Line honours and new holder of Solo Tasman record after 28 years.

Designed for shorthanded long distance ocean racing but still roomy enough and with enough payload for extended cruising for 2-4 people. True ocean going trimaran.

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sailing-trimaran/crowther-40-cruising-racing/157282
Wow. What a beast. I bet she sails pretty fast.

QBF

Super Anarchist

Wow. What a beast. I bet she sails pretty fast.
She's raced in the Trans-Atlantic, has sailed around the world, twice I believe, and she has set/holds several records.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama

And that looks like BP5 in the background. The current Jules Verne Trophy holder (45 days 13 hours 42 minutes 53 seconds). Scarcely believable isn't it.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Especially when you can remember the first Whitbreads taking nearly 200 days. Chichester was Knighted for doing it in 9 months. :D

I'll bet that is one miserable 45 days though - like riding a rodeo bronc continuously for 45 days.

QBF

Super Anarchist

And that looks like BP5 in the background. The current Jules Verne Trophy holder (45 days 13 hours 42 minutes 53 seconds). Scarcely believable isn't it.
That is Banque Populaire V (now Spindrift 2) in the background.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist

SySunday

Netherlands
My current boat, from a Danish designer: Peter Bruun. He designed only 4-5 sailing yachts, Grinde and Kaskelot were shown in this topic before. I own his smallest design: Marsvin. 22 feet long. I sail her seriously and solo on the North Sea and regularly make 24hr runs of 150miles, sometimes 160.

IMAGE_58.jpg

IMAGE_A8C9A23B-079B-414A-B27C-D6B302ABBF98.JPG

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Some boats that have been important in my life:

A traditional dutch "Wieringer bol" yacht. Handmade in during 1964-66 by a small yard for my uncle. All massive oak. Interesting proportions: 6,5m (21ft) long, 3m (6.5ft) wide and draft of less than 50cm (2ft). My first sailing experience.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-moUT0Zl2nSk/T66J9wm9Q5I/AAAAAAAAG98/t__u1gRaCJo/s2048-no/IMAGE_11C43DEC-A4E4-46FE-9B4F-A7177A53AAE1.JPG
IMAGE_11C43DEC-A4E4-46FE-9B4F-A7177A53AAE1.JPG

I like it.
Now that's what I call an "Old Shoe" - Very cool

Hemp Bike

Is this boat cool or a nightmare? It must be great fun to sail, but is described as a long range cruising boat, which implies living in it for reasonably extended periods.

I'm not sure if I could spend much time living in a set from 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY, or Woody Allen's SLEEPER.

Maybe I'm just an old fart, or just not ready for the future yet.

Anyway I think it's very cool - the galley and nav station rotate, for God's sake - but I don't want one.

Called a JP54.
Definitely Cool. Rotating 700kg to windward via a carrousel makes it fast too!

http://youtu.be/Kpam9wkHAKw