Coolboats to admire

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Schnick:

My physical therapist and pal John Bonica in Portland owns Bull or did own it until recently. He loved that boat. But, his knees got the better of him and he bought a powerboat last year. Just sold his Nordic 44 that he had owned for 20 years. He brought his Nordic up the coast every summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've really been wanting to take a sailing canoe for a ride. Here's a d-class sailing canoe.

2mxr3sz.jpg

And a PK520

1hxowj.jpg

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Those are beautiful. Not sure I have ever seen one before. I do know International sailing canoes but not this type.

I really like that PK520.

They look like mini-SLIVERS. This is the old rig, now obsolete, but you get the idea.

kim's sail plan.JPG

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
I've really been wanting to take a sailing canoe for a ride. Here's a d-class sailing canoe.

2mxr3sz.jpg

And a PK520

1hxowj.jpg
Nice. For some reason though, I keep thinking there should be two of them bolted together, or at least an outrigger or two. I imagine they'd get along pretty well though.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Those are beautiful. Not sure I have ever seen one before. I do know International sailing canoes but not this type.

I really like that PK520.

They look like mini-SLIVERS. This is the old rig, now obsolete, but you get the idea.
I am with Bob, I REALLY like that PK520. Very good looker!

Sliver's new Farr 40 rig (this is the final drawing as we already have the rig stored away waiting for the boat.)

PDF_kim ACTUAL Farr rig SP Model (1.pdf

Attachments

• PDF_kim ACTUAL Farr rig SP Model (1.pdf
    223.3 KB · Views: 232

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Kim:

Look, SWMBO would not even notice another boat in your shed once you get the SLIVER. She's probably lost count already. Tell her it's the prototype.

I think the PK530 would look very good on you.

One of the marketing decisions of the NAIM hi-fi gear company was to make all the plain, black boxes look almost identical. So you can upgrade components and your wife never sees anything different on the shelf. She won;t remember if there were six black boxes on the shelf or five.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Kim:

Look, SWMBO would not even notice another boat in your shed once you get the SLIVER. She's probably lost count already. Tell her it's the prototype.

I think the PK530 would look very good on you.

One of the marketing decisions of the NAIM hi-fi gear company was to make all the plain, black boxes look almost identical. So you can upgrade components and your wife never sees anything different on the shelf. She won;t remember if there were six black boxes on the shelf or five.
If this does not work can I come live with you??

Tucky

Super Anarchist
Maine
Live on the Sliver, dude :) . Its an old respected tradition when it doesn't work out, as several folks here can attest.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Yeah Dude.

Tell her this:

"Look Honey, how could I possibly take you and the boys (be sure to throw "and the boys" in) out on the SLIVER and know you were safe just because Bob Perry says you'll be safe? Really! I have to prove the concept with the prototype to make sure that you are all going to be fine. I doing this for you,,,Honey,,,,and the boys. I have to."

Seth:

Ruby is home and looking beautiful. All is well with the world again.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Tell her this:

I have to prove the concept with the prototype to make sure that you are all going to be fine.
Well! get drawing Bob! ... a 31' mini sliver.

engineless daysailor. A modern day Rozinante?

The no 1 criteria is for it to have drop dead gorgeous lines.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Tell her this:

I have to prove the concept with the prototype to make sure that you are all going to be fine.

why not 41 feet?
No reason.. I said 31' because it was half.

Now that you suggest it, Kim, I think 41' is a better length. The advantage of the fine shape is that the boat will be fast without the rig being too powerful. It could still be engineless...

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Tell her this:

why not 41 feet?
No reason.. I said 31' because it was half.

Now that you suggest it, Kim, I think 41' is a better length. The advantage of the fine shape is that the boat will be fast without the rig being too powerful. It could still be engineless...
Yeah, displace about 5000 pounds +/-??

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I'm on it. Just as soon as I get back from Tai Chi.

I think the 31' version is best. We need avoid mission creep. Nice big rig. No engine. None.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia

I think the 31' version is best. We need avoid mission creep. Nice big rig. No engine. None.
Plenty of keel too.

I reckon if she is going to be 31' ... around 4,500 lbs displacement? 2100lbs of ballast? strip planked/epoxy?

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW

Plenty of keel too.

I reckon if she is going to be 31' ... around 4,500 lbs displacement? 2100lbs of ballast? strip planked/epoxy?
Nantucket Splinter Specs

LOA 38'6"

LWL 27'6" (we can do better than that!)

Beam 6'7"

Draft 6'0"

Disp 6390

Ballast 4010

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia

Plenty of keel too.

Nantucket Splinter Specs

LOA 38'6"

Beam 6'7"

Draft 6'0"

Disp 6390

Ballast 4010
I just had a good read about the Splinter although I couldn't find the full specs on her. I'm surprised they can get that amount of ballast into that displacement but then she is narrow.

I think Bob will probably put a better keel and rudder on the mini Sliver than the Splinter got.

The Splinter has mucho overhangs. We'll have to keep Hung and Beau away if we're to keep some waterline.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW

Plenty of keel too.

Nantucket Splinter Specs

LOA 38'6"

Beam 6'7"

Draft 6'0"

Disp 6390

Ballast 4010
I just had a good read about the Splinter although I couldn't find the full specs on her. I'm surprised they can get that amount of ballast into that displacement but then she is narrow.

I think Bob will probably put a better keel and rudder on the mini Sliver than the Splinter got.

The Splinter has mucho overhangs. We'll have to keep Hung and Beau away if we're to keep some waterline.
PM me your e-mail address Tricky and I will send you the stuff Bruce King gave me on the Splinter. (I tried to buy her once, good thing it did not go through otherwise there would not be a Sliver....)

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS

Channeling LFH.

Oars? I think LFH mentioned oars (or an oar?) for Rozinante.

JImmy Buffet has a story about why that always take a heap of rations with them when they go sailing on account of how he and some other folks got becalmed in Nantucket Sound for three days and were near dead from starvation before the wind came up and they could finish their voyage over to Martha's Vinyard.

Latest posts