Coolboats to admire

maxstaylock

Anarchist
You Americans......

Is cool like a circular thing, i.e. it is so far toward the not cool end, it somehow falls across the dividing line it falls back into cool? I would rather swim into port than be seen on that thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
You Americans......

Is cool like a circular thing, i.e. it is so far toward the not cool end, it somehow falls across the dividing line it falls back into cool? I would rather swim into port than be seen on that thing.
If that is the extent of your taste, a LONG swim back to port would be a great idea.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
You Americans......

Are you referring the red gaff sloop?

It looks to me like a Herreshoff Eagle. See: http://www.herreshoffeagle.com/ It's an adaptation of the Herreshoff America Catboat. In the past, I've seen the design attributed to a local Cape Cod boatbuilder whose name I've forgotten. (Hale?) Maybe he did the adaptation from the catboat. It's certainly no uglier nor sillier than the 100-year-old gaff sloops that some English sailors are so proud of.

JBE

Auckland, NZ
I've been involved with classic boats here for years , typically circa 1900 or so. But sometimes a cool boat isn't so much 'classic' good looking, but its about what its done.

This Birdsall cruiser from 1975, Contour, has grown four families worth of sailers and still doing it. Its been around the world, red sea, Med ,Canal du Midi, Panama, Pacific islands. Just a modest boat sitting at a berth in westhaven , but its capable and been so many places.

Some of the classic fleet here,

Thelma 1898, some of you guys will know of her from hawaii or San Francisco( I think ( might have been san Diego?)

Crewed on Rawhiti last season, first season after her big restoration. 54 ft Logan 1905.

another 1900 and something Logan ,Wairiki, much smaller at about 35 ft or so. My boy , one of those kids in the rigging on Contour just did last season on her.

VagabundoII

Antigua
Vagabundo_gallery_4.jpg
Im likeing how many classics there are in this thread. :)

Brodie

I thought that was a gussied-up Herreshoff America....was wondering why it was on Woodenboat. They are usually pretty picky about the "no-fiberglass hulls" rule.

Veeger

Super Anarchist
Even WB can make a mistake. Probably whomever is keeping it up is too young to know and recognize the Herreshoff Eagle and , you know, like, made an Ass- ump - Shun. They need us old guys around to keep 'em straight!

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK

You Americans......

Have to agree with Autograph. To my eye, that just looks...disjointed. Bit of a cacophony. No flow. IMHO, clipper bows rarely work on boats below 50', as to really look good, they need very low freeboard. This is one of the few exceptions. Peggy Bawn , by G L Watson. 23' waterline, 36' hull, 42' sparred length. Freeboard of x feet, where x = damp.

02Portbeam.jpg

Dog

Super Anarchist
You Americans......

Have to agree with Autograph. To my eye, that just looks...disjointed. Bit of a cacophony. No flow. IMHO, clipper bows rarely work on boats below 50', as to really look good, they need very low freeboard. This is one of the few exceptions. Peggy Bawn , by G L Watson. 23' waterline, 36' hull, 42' sparred length. Freeboard of x feet, where x = damp.
Just take off all the pretentious shit and you have a nice little sailboat.

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
You Americans......

Auto, don't come looking here for the circle that never ends.

What do you think the white dot in the black portion and black dot in the white portion of the yin yang symbol are about?

The answer may be found in one of your neighboring countries, or come to think of it maybe a little Americana can illuminate your insectitis(grasshopper). Google Kwai Chang Caine

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
Have to agree with Autograph. To my eye, that just looks...disjointed. Bit of a cacophony. No flow. IMHO, clipper bows rarely work on boats below 50', as to really look good, they need very low freeboard.
I pretty much agree that the "clipper" bow is an affectation and the sloop-rigged Marshall catboats look better without it. Charles Wittholz called that a Noank Sloop. But that doesn't make the Eagle an abomination. I'm too poor to suffer the "that $10,000 boat stinks, get this $100,000 boat" syndrome.

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
I'vealways had a thing for the Sprinta Sport, a sweet little IOR 22' racer form the 70s and early 80s. They still have a strong class association in Europe. We have one a our club and it just looks good to my eye everytime I see it. (even with the mast in the water when broaching)

9099_2.jpg
dehler-sprinta-sport-id61632-59768030111867575454686666564565x.jpg
A friend of mine owned one, it was supposed to be a fast little boat but I regularly outsailed it with my Shark, in any wind condition. It had an interesting interior if you liked to lie down while sitting.
I think the Sprinta Sport was a quarter tonner and comes up to around 24' or so. Might be the same guy Ish as he lived on the island for awhile. The boat was called "Magic Mushroom" and sailed with him quiet a bit on that boat; and others.

We tied up cruising on the log booms in Gambier and decided to go below, partake in some BC herbology and get silly. The girls were on my boat having a cocktail and they realized they hadn't seen us for over an hour and very quiet so they boarded. We were doing shadow puppets against the bulkhead with the chart light.

We had amused ourselves for quiet some time! :lol:

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
I'vealways had a thing for the Sprinta Sport, a sweet little IOR 22' racer form the 70s and early 80s. They still have a strong class association in Europe. We have one a our club and it just looks good to my eye everytime I see it. (even with the mast in the water when broaching)

9099_2.jpg
A friend of mine owned one, it was supposed to be a fast little boat but I regularly outsailed it with my Shark, in any wind condition. It had an interesting interior if you liked to lie down while sitting.
I think the Sprinta Sport was a quarter tonner and comes up to around 24' or so. Might be the same guy Ish as he lived on the island for awhile. The boat was called "Magic Mushroom" and sailed with him quiet a bit on that boat; and others.

We tied up cruising on the log booms in Gambier and decided to go below, partake in some BC herbology and get silly. The girls were on my boat having a cocktail and they realized they hadn't seen us for over an hour and very quiet so they boarded. We were doing shadow puppets against the bulkhead with the chart light.

This was long ago and far away in Saskatchewan, on Lake Diefenbaker. The winds were usually steady and the water flat. I would lash the tiller on Mizrab, my Shark, he would come up astern and I would step onto Tree Toad. We would have a beverage and a Jamaican salad, then we would sail back up to Miz and I would get back on. The boats were well matched for that. I have pictures somewhere...

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Pretty ain't necessarily cool.

And cool ain't necessarily pretty.

There will be edginess, tension and conflict in the thread. It just hasn't gotten there yet.

But, just to stir the pot....

I'd be all over one of these cool ugly bastards if i could find one for shortish money:

I think a dual station flying bridge sail trawler makes a whole lot of sense.

fales_boat.jpg

Handsome boat but IMHO a "sail trawler" only makes sense if you enjoy buying both rigging -and- fuel, coping with the snarl of wires & ropes in your way for the sake of a boat that cannot make ground to windward, buying fuel, have to wait for bridges, reduced stability is worth a lot too, oh and buying fuel.

Good sailboats don't need a motor. Good motorboats are ruined by having a mast & sails put on them.

I wouldn't call Phil Bolger's RESOLUTION an exception

Resoutions.jpg

but it bends enough rules to be considered a special case.

FB- Doug

dlevalley

Seattle
This is moored at the Bell Harbor marina. It's been there all year. It looks...capable.

20130517_131001.png
That boat's been there for quite a number of years. I was working on another boat at Bell Harbor a couple of years ago. At the time, that boat had a multi-generational family living aboard -- there had to be at least 7 people living on it, between grandmother, parents, and kids.

One of the daughters was kind of hot. But she never said hi to me.

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest

9099_2.jpg

This was long ago and far away in Saskatchewan, on Lake Diefenbaker. The winds were usually steady and the water flat. I would lash the tiller on Mizrab, my Shark, he would come up astern and I would step onto Tree Toad. We would have a beverage and a Jamaican salad, then we would sail back up to Miz and I would get back on. The boats were well matched for that. I have pictures somewhere...
Do they do shadow puppets in Dief lake too? Just curious.

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino

9099_2.jpg

Do they do shadow puppets in Dief lake too? Just curious.
Oh yeah. On a calm moonless night you can project them onto the grain elevators.

It's weird sailing along right next to a combine, one of many such interesting things there. .