Coolboats to admire

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
I had a read through of this thread and I realise its hard to post a cool boat without going straight back to the standards ... Dorade, Concordia yawl, metre boats, Malabar schooner, Pilot cutters etc etc.

Nigel Irens is always enigmatic in switching between designing high performance multis and retro pilot cutters. He designed a schooner Maggie B built by Covey Island Boatworks which was destroyed by fire in the boat shed (after it had circumnavigated) The owner had Irens design him another schooner to be built by Covey Island and this is the boat they came up with. Quite a `fusion' of tradional and modern. I like it's originality though I'd like to see it in the flesh before I could fall in love..

st006.jpg

st004.jpg

st002.jpg

resizeImage.aspx.html.jpeg

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Tricky:

I like that Irens design. Can't say it's beautiful but it's not ugly either. I like the functionality of the look and the integration of some traditional styling elements. The cabin trunk is a bit blocky and boring.

Hell, I love just about anything with an outboard rudder.

viktor

Anarchist
pnw
I have admired this little guy for a long time. I can't really call her cool and cute is for babies and puppies,but I think it's one sweet little boat.15' Designed by K. Agge Nielsen, in '35,worked at SS at the time. I really like a lot of his designs. Plus Bob it's got an outboard rudder.

Primrose_4.jpg

34ynz9f.jpg

Tucky

Super Anarchist
Maine
I had a read through of this thread and I realise its hard to post a cool boat without going straight back to the standards ... Dorade, Concordia yawl, metre boats, Malabar schooner, Pilot cutters etc etc.

Nigel Irens is always enigmatic in switching between designing high performance multis and retro pilot cutters. He designed a schooner Maggie B built by Covey Island Boatworks which was destroyed by fire in the boat shed (after it had circumnavigated) The owner had Irens design him another schooner to be built by Covey Island and this is the boat they came up with. Quite a `fusion' of tradional and modern. I like it's originality though I'd like to see it in the flesh before I could fall in love..
I saw it in the flesh last summer, and I fell in love. I think you would like it as well Bob. The "working schooner" touches are great. Here she is in the Bras d'Or Lakes. The photo may be silly big.

Farfarer, etc..jpg

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I'm a sucker for just about anything that K. Aage did. I pretty much owe my canoe sterns to his work. Thanks Aage you crotchity old SOB.

Victor:

aw shucks, you didn;t need to do that. But since you did and since I can be my own worst critic I will say that I think that boat looks great. All it needs is a client. Do you know in Tai Chi there is a warm up excersize called "Pat the back"?

So now that I am immersed in Tai Chi I can pat my own back with amazing dexterity.

Whatch me now,,,,,,hey, pat pat,,,just a little bit lower, pat pat

Last edited by a moderator:

jim lee

Anarchist
NIGHT RUNNER : When I moved to the PNW I trained up a fresh new crew for my J/35. None of the new crew had even sailed before so I'm talking really fresh! On one of our first races, I was explaining PHRF and stuff to them. It was the Anacortes to Hien bank race. Well, here's this old wooden traditional cruising boat out there getting ready to race with us. I used it as an example.

"See that old wooden boat over there? The one called Night Runner, You'll soon see how we can just run right away from something like that. No comparison at all." They all oh'd and ah'd at this, 'Cause the skipper knew his sailing.

Then the race started.

We spent most of the day NOT running away from the fastest wooden crab crusher I'd ever seen! It was like being chased by an angry bear! I'd thought I'd completely lost my touch with sailing. Being so shook I never noticed that no one else was running away from that old wooden boat either.

It wasn't 'till the races results came out that I found that we rated almost even under PHRF. When I questioned the locals about Night Runner they all had a good laugh at me.

Live and learn.

-jim lee

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Jim:

That's NIGHT CRAWLER to you please.

One year we were first PHRF boat, boat for boat around the Swiftsure lightship. My watch. Yippee.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama

She's interesting alright. Not exactly pretty though IMO. That rig is something similar to what I imagine we might see on the AC72's (if the rules were relaxed) but replacing soft sails with wings. The rudder stock looks a might chunky - but that's just being picky.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I like the idea of the cool boat thread, but the Ugly boat thread has that bit of disagreement, a little conflict, to make it interesting. It's easy to agree on something that's pretty. Some of the ugly ones have taught me a bit about yacht design that I didn't know of before. And some boats are fun to laugh at :)

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
I like the idea of the cool boat thread, but the Ugly boat thread has that bit of disagreement, a little conflict, to make it interesting. It's easy to agree on something that's pretty. Some of the ugly ones have taught me a bit about yacht design that I didn't know of before. And some boats are fun to laugh at :)
Seems to be quite a lot of cross-over, 'Occams Razor'. Which is a good thing. Take the Maltese Falcon below, for example. She appears in both threads although definitely should be in this one, IMO.

MalteseFalcon.jpg

Latest posts