Coolboats to admire

JBE

Auckland, NZ
When I rerigged my 1907 boat , 41 ft on deck x 8'6" x 6'5", 31' wl, I went a little bit conservative for the style of the day with 1050 ft( straight geometric measurement off the sailplan) and over the years came to believe that the boat weighed something just less than 9 metric tonnes.maybe 8.5.

If thats of any use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Here is a cool boat, not sail but since Bill Garden has come up here I'm going to throw this one out. Seems like it would be a great Inside Passage cruiser. I like the look of the lapstrake, not seen often at this size.

http://mpi.shawwebspace.ca/

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
That's cool! looks like a first rule meter class.
Bayern-3.jpg

When I rerigged my 1907 boat , 41 ft on deck x 8'6" x 6'5", 31' wl, I went a little bit conservative for the style of the day with 1050 ft( straight geometric measurement off the sailplan) and over the years came to believe that the boat weighed something just less than 9 metric tonnes.maybe 8.5.

If thats of any use.

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Here is a cool boat, not sail but since Bill Garden has come up here I'm going to throw this one out. Seems like it would be a great Inside Passage cruiser. I like the look of the lapstrake, not seen often at this size.

http://mpi.shawwebspace.ca/
I dunno, Ras, might have been nicer to extend the diagonal planking to the sheer. Personally, I'd vote this vessel to the "other" thread.

Not ugly enough for the other thread, but I have seen better looking back ends...

transom-0.jpg

viktor

Anarchist
pnw
It's not to bad but I have never liked that Q& D style of lapstrake planking. You start planking at the chine and just keep going,letting the planks run wild at the the sheer,then just take a batten and cut 'em off to the sheer line.It just looks wrong to me to have plank lines run out like that.

thumb_bow0.jpg

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
I agree Viktor. It looks wrong to me as well. It looks like maybe some sort of lining off and spiling was done but the results just don't look right.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
That makes three of us. I think it looks funky to have the lapstrakes dead end on the sheer lile that.

tad

It's not to bad but I have never liked that Q& D style of lapstrake planking. You start planking at the chine and just keep going,letting the planks run wild at the the sheer,then just take a batten and cut 'em off to the sheer line.It just looks wrong to me to have plank lines run out like that.

attachicon.gif
thumb_bow0.jpg
It saves a bunch of material and a lot of fitting and steaming, but it does look cheap......Grenfell in Vancouver always did it this way, I could never understand why folks considered them high quality boats.

CyberBOB

Anarchist

attachicon.gif
thumb_bow0.jpg
It saves a bunch of material and a lot of fitting and steaming, but it does look cheap......Grenfell in Vancouver always did it this way, I could never understand why folks considered them high quality boats.
Agree. Chris Craft Sea Skiffs had their lapstrake end at the stem, the way it was meant to be, the result, a vastly superior looking hull.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Steeler:

That is a very handsome skiff. I couold own that with much pride. I'm trying to find the ideal boat for my beach so I can introduce Violet to sailing. That is not the boat but I like it a lot.

romaine

Super Anarchist
One too many portlights for a little boat.

And the cabin! That isn't a cabin, it's a coffin.

Romain

edit: I do like the rear cabin idea - it eliminates all the centerboard and mast problems of a forward one.

Last edited by a moderator: