Coolboats to admire

bljones

Super Anarchist
CA
Pretty ain't necessarily cool.

And cool ain't necessarily pretty.

There will be edginess, tension and conflict in the thread. It just hasn't gotten there yet.

But, just to stir the pot....

I'd be all over one of these cool ugly bastards if i could find one for shortish money:

I think a dual station flying bridge sail trawler makes a whole lot of sense.

fales_boat.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Here's a heaping helping of cool or ugly to admire, but since I put it here, let's focus on the cool.

"Finger Mullet" currently being raced by DancesWithMullet in the Everglades Challenge

finger-mullet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
I have admired this little guy for a long time. I can't really call her cool and cute is for babies and puppies,but I think it's one sweet little boat.15' Designed by K. Agge Nielsen, in '35,worked at SS at the time. I really like a lot of his designs. Plus Bob it's got an outboard rudder.

View attachment 190129

View attachment 190130
There is something seriously elegant about that rudder! Fits that a chick is driving with all them mazing curves going on :)

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
I like the idea of the cool boat thread, but the Ugly boat thread has that bit of disagreement, a little conflict, to make it interesting. It's easy to agree on something that's pretty. Some of the ugly ones have taught me a bit about yacht design that I didn't know of before. And some boats are fun to laugh at :)
Seems to be quite a lot of cross-over, 'Occams Razor'. Which is a good thing. Take the Maltese Falcon below, for example. She appears in both threads although definitely should be in this one, IMO.
How do I get a full size pic of that shot, ?

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
I like quality antiques. I really like CRESSET.

As for "antique reproductions"? They never work if you know what you are looking at.

I really like SPARK.

Waaah! That means you won't like this, which while not a reproduction, was not exactly cutting edge when built - launched 1999.

Betty-Alan-at-Burnham.jpg

Betty-Alan-in-Limehouse-1024x448.jpg

Tucky

Super Anarchist
Maine
Any mention of Maltese Falcon deserves this shot of her crew hard at work during a Transatlantic Race a couple of summers ago.

Any boat that can ocean race like this deserves a spot on the cool wall.

Stewardess.jpg

MF Crew mess.jpg

viktor

Anarchist
pnw
I grew up in Wisconsin.My Dad and sister both had C scows (Dad crewed on an E scow at times).I was only around 7 or 8 at the time and had what was called a Cub boat,kinda like a Snipe.

Anyway The scows weren't much to look at, just sitting in 12" of water.

Picture_116.jpg

But were wicked cool under sail. Below is an E scow.

Paitsi2010215.jpg

This is a C,like my old man had. He would sneak me out of Sunday school sometimes so I could crew with him and his buddy. Good times. Crap I'm getting a little teary up. He'll be 98 in a few days.

cscow1.jpg

This boat has to be included in both the ugly and cool boat societies; the Thunderbird. Made from plywood, ugly as a book-end and fast as a J-24.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
I like quality antiques. I really like CRESSET.

As for "antique reproductions"? They never work if you know what you are looking at.

I really like SPARK.

Waaah! That means you won't like this, which while not a reproduction, was not exactly cutting edge when built - launched 1999.
Now that is a lovely boat. Hard to see how she could be improved in any way. :)

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
I grew up in Wisconsin.My Dad and sister both had C scows (Dad crewed on an E scow at times).I was only around 7 or 8 at the time and had what was called a Cub boat,kinda like a Snipe.

Anyway The scows weren't much to look at, just sitting in 12" of water.

View attachment 190192

But were wicked cool under sail. Below is an E scow.

View attachment 190193

This is a C,like my old man had. He would sneak me out of Sunday school sometimes so I could crew with him and his buddy. Good times. Crap I'm getting a little teary up. He'll be 98 in a few days.

View attachment 190195
Hey 'Viktor'. Interesting boats. Not pretty as you say, but I imagine they'd be fast. Is your dad able to watch them? I bet he has some great memories of sailing them.

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
Nah, if it was graphics, then this would just be a quirky boat....

That's the real bits of timber you can see. It was built as part of the Cultural Olympiad for the London 2012 Games. Over 1200 different donations of timber were incorporated into the design as the build went along. Bits of a Jimi Hendrix guitar, HMS Ark Royal, Victory, the Mary Rose, Lively Lady, the Bank of England, plus loads of personal bits and pieces. You can see the hockey sticks and guitars quite easily.

Oh, and it's hit 18 knots downwind....

More here if you are interested - www.theboatproject.com
That is seriously cool!!

Semi:

I deleted my rude post from last night. re: channeling. Sorry about that.

I've been studying the work of the great designers since I was 14 years old. Can't imagine anyone has done any more of that than I have. So while I may not like the idea of needing to channel anyone the fact is that I probably do it as a reflex now, like blinking, I'm not even aware that I do it. But I'm sure I do. I bristle at the idea that I need to copy anyone and the thought of designimng "reproductions" of traditional boats is not appealing to me. I'd like to think my work is original while acknowledging the fact that I have not originated any single feature. Beethoven loved Bach but you don't hear Bach when you hear Beethoven. I don't. Maybe Paul does. My idea of a "traditional" Perry design is NIGHT RUNNER or the SLIVER.

I've been aware of the Tumlaren for longer than I can remember. It's one of those boats that just wedged itself into my brain and got stuck there. Like a barbed hook. The proportions are just so perfect. Who cares if it is not ergonomic by today's standards. It's testimony to why you can't do accurate reproductions today. Today's sailors want more and are happy to give up aesthetics in order to get it. Pity. Kim is an exception. I had to lean on Kim a bit to get some concessions to comfort. I felt I was making decisions that would benefit long term ownership of the boat and Kim's boys ownership down the road.
I think every maestro is channeling Bob, no need to reinvent the wheel just improve on it.

There was a serious fleet of "Toms" in Adelaide in the early days. Every racing skipper I knew had owned one.

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
I had a read through of this thread and I realise its hard to post a cool boat without going straight back to the standards ... Dorade, Concordia yawl, metre boats, Malabar schooner, Pilot cutters etc etc.

Nigel Irens is always enigmatic in switching between designing high performance multis and retro pilot cutters. He designed a schooner Maggie B built by Covey Island Boatworks which was destroyed by fire in the boat shed (after it had circumnavigated) The owner had Irens design him another schooner to be built by Covey Island and this is the boat they came up with. Quite a `fusion' of tradional and modern. I like it's originality though I'd like to see it in the flesh before I could fall in love..
Tricky, that is seriously sexy as was her predecessor. Irens is indeed a master of his craft and refuses to be hemmed in by silly things like the number of hulls or major displacement differentials.

As a "cone" man he speaks your language.

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
To add a "down under" flavour I have to put a plug in for the "ranger" class. Very popular harbour racers from a more elegant time, great fun to sail, enough room for weekending on the harbour and perfectly suited to the conditions. I have always thought of them as a cruising "Couta Boat"

This one is smokin a Saturday arvo Southerly change and everyone involved is totally into it. Several have done Hobart and one in particular has done a few recently.

Smokin Ranger.jpg

Interestingly they use exactly the same handling technique as the 18 footers in a blow. Trim the jib and blow the main as necessary.