Coolboats to admire

fufkin

Super Anarchist
Someone on this forum somewhere recently mentioned Jeff Goldblum’s wise musings about how pretty much everything one does is in some way related to getting laid.

Using this as a guideline, that scowbow has zero usable interior space...any discerning bit of deck fluff will know this... and not even set foot onboard.

Row away factor? More like row away and don’t ever come back factor. Hell, I might even beat Sam Neill in a rowing contest if I owned that p.o.s.

Even at 3.5 knots, the Stone Horse wins hands down in the only metric that actually counts.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Someone on this forum somewhere recently mentioned Jeff Goldblum’s wise musings about how pretty much everything one does is in some way related to getting laid.

Using this as a guideline, that scowbow has zero usable interior space...any discerning bit of deck fluff will know this... and not even set foot onboard.
wait. what?

photo6.jpg

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Great, as long as you stay below with the curtains closed.
traditional - its not. and I think this is a photo of its good side. still, I guess it is all about that big kite - and a shallow draft - and apparent quality, comfort, and in general a sailor's boat.

photo10.jpg

some have noted the bow a bit blunt - but it might be the stern is a bit overly square as well. ouch.

photo12.jpg

MFH125

I feel compelled to come to the defense of the Stone Horse and point out that you're comparing press photos from a brand new 29 foot boat with snapshots of a 23 footer with probably 50 years of wear and tear on it...

The Stone Horse can be very nice inside when all cleaned up. But it's a cozy, kettle on, listen to the waves lap, read by the light of an oil lamp ambiance.  That appeals to some people, but it's hardly glamorous or luxurious -- which is what non-sailors usually want from a Yacht

A few years ago, I spent a week poking about islands in the Penobscot Bay on a Stone Horse with a girlfriend aboard.  She wasn't a sailor, but she was into camping -- to her, the cabin was an unusually commodious and warm tent with extremely nice appliances.  It's all about perspective.

MFH125

traditional - its not. and I think this is a photo of its good side. still, I guess it is all about that big kite - and a shallow draft - and apparent quality, comfort, and in general a sailor's boat.

some have noted the bow a bit blunt - but it might be the stern is a bit overly square as well. ouch.

That's the 29 footer, I think.  The extra length helps keep the height from looking ungainly.

I actually don't hate the appearance.  It's not pretty, but not all boats need to be pretty.  At least it has the virtue of being unapologetic about what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

fufkin

Super Anarchist

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
I feel compelled to come to the defense of the Stone Horse and point out that you're comparing press photos from a brand new 29 foot boat with snapshots of a 23 footer with probably 50 years of wear and tear on it...

The Stone Horse can be very nice inside when all cleaned up. But it's a cozy, kettle on, listen to the waves lap, read by the light of an oil lamp ambiance.  That appeals to some people, but it's hardly glamorous or luxurious -- which is what non-sailors usually want from a Yacht

A few years ago, I spent a week poking about islands in the Penobscot Bay on a Stone Horse with a girlfriend aboard.  She wasn't a sailor, but she was into camping -- to her, the cabin was an unusually commodious and warm tent with extremely nice appliances.  It's all about perspective.
thanks for the correction - and yes, was I ever happier than when gunkholing on my 1/4 tonner with a college sweetheart? I think not.

still. have to say, the French boat strikes me as a true sailor's boat - not some dock queen. It'd look pretty odd sitting in a dock, after all. lol.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Aluminum was once so scarce and treasured that Napoleon had a dinner service made from it that was valued more than gold ones.

My factoid of the day.
Napoleon was no fool. Over the years, I have bestowed upon Mrs. Bull a large collection of aluminum jewelry. You'd think she wear it out occasionally, but no, she appreciates its value so much that she keeps it safely hidden. Or so she tells me.  <_<

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
View attachment 478317

https://www.sandemanyachtcompany.co.uk/yacht/293/bill-tripp-abeking-and-rasmussen-55-ft-cutter-1965

The ‘Geeky Boats Derived from a Specific Downwind Offshore Race that Will not Perform in an Upwind Chop and Probably Require a Canting Keel to Fully Realize their Potential but are Nevertheless Marketed to Coastal Cruisers who Should be more Concerned with Sailing Off a Lee Shore than Dockside Accommodation Thread’ is down the hall.
Crikey another 40 footer masquerading as a 55 footer.

Dancer has been on the market for as long as when the scow bow surfaced.

7517E51A-9C5F-486C-BB9B-55EA135DD157.jpeg

accnick

Super Anarchist

View attachment 478329
I know that boat well. The owners were out cruising in the South Pacific the same time we were 20+ years ago. He was a commercial salvage diver and she wrote market trading software, as I recall. That photo appears to be Moorea.

They were extremely self-sufficient.

fufkin

Super Anarchist

View attachment 478329
99% of cruising boats that have adopted race trickle down features such as plumb bows and twin rudders, by the time their loaded up with stores and furniture coupled with a conservative sail plan, are masquerading. 

Now if we’re talking about a well executed performance cruiser of 55 ft of the deep draft max waterline variety,  maybe this gem that seems to be back on the market might be more to taste.

993DDD9A-40AB-4FBF-A461-4BBD4329E54B.jpeg

https://swiftsureyachts.com/bieker-riptide-55-rocket-science/

Latest posts