Coolboats to admire

accnick

Super Anarchist
I can’t recall this design. Makes me think Lecomte, but I don’t think so.

Nice old has been. Not quite as old as my has been. Late 60’s?

Easy sailer, mast furling on both sticks. Good coastal boat.

Interesting ‘Why bother’ Bimini between sticks.
View attachment 532170
LeComte Fastnet 45, I believe. Probably Luders design. They made two versions: this one with cabin trunk, and an extremely high-sided flush deck version.

There was one in the boatyard next to us in the mid-1970s, owned by Dr. Ernest McVey, who was navigator on Burgoo (Invicta 37), first fiberglass boat to win the Newport Bermuda race.

My brain is full of useless boat data, much of it 40 years old.

Voiled

Anarchist

View attachment 532170

Reminds me of this early Frers

275484_0.jpg

Priscilla

Super Anarchist

View attachment 532170
I would bother with that Bimini very useful for keeping errant waves and spray from climbing below and whilst at anchor to have some ventilation if raining.

eliboat

Super Anarchist
It is a lecompte. Fastnet 45. I believe that one is always (or was always) moored off of Camp island in Merchants Row.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
it’s Beautiful to sail a wide side deck , flush deck boat
that centerline raised ridge gives a good foothold , keeps the lewmar hatches out of the water, houses multiple port lights to brighten up the interior and that centerline ridge provides immense fore and aft stiffness to the hull

a superior design

accnick

Super Anarchist
Look how deep the cockpit seats are, plenty of coachroof to hide behind. IRRC the Galant was once the world's largest composite moulding.
That arrangement may work for you, but after 75,000 miles of offshore sailing, it is not what I would choose. A solid hard dodger or shelter protecting the front of the cockpit would be high on my list of must-haves on another offshore boat.

See the arrangement on Chuck Paine’s Bermuda series or Apogee 50 for what I am talking about.

You can sit under it with complete protection driving with the autopilot when it is snotty out.

We had a really good soft dodger over a strong frame on our last boat. That was a reasonable solution for temperate offshore sailing, but I would want something better for high latitudes.

If you don’t mind sitting out in bad weather, you are tougher than I am. But most people probably are.

To each his own.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
No way to fit a dodger with that main traveler set-up. No protection at the helm.

You need to be a glutton for punishment of the Chichester type for a boat like that.

Nice boat, but no thank you,
On a ketch you drop the mizzen sail and set a mizzen awning over the cockpit

this is how we sailed the swan 65 in summer …a very nice place to hang out

as for the helmsman’s seat..not my style but it may work well in cruising mode down the waterway …visibility

Boats spend most of thier life chugging around …not rounding the horn

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Lovers of music and Patrick O'Brian fans, check out my recent post on Random Info for Cruising Anarchists #139

Super Anarchist
Lovely, Mummery 40' cruiser for sale, on TradeMe. Shame about all the COTB and that hard dodger, but not at all irredeemable.

View attachment 532788
Allan Mummery was a very niche designer who's boats tended to perform well and be pretty easy on the eye, went for a wander in one of his 42' steelies back in the 80's down to the chathams and onto puerto williams etc sailed well and tracked pretty good in the biggies with no real tendency to bugger off sideways, back in the 80's my old man owned this 36 and it was a real joy to sail https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/3631713149?bof=LvVQs3Fc

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Allan Mummery was a very niche designer who's boats tended to perform well and be pretty easy on the eye, went for a wander in one of his 42' steelies back in the 80's down to the chathams and onto puerto williams etc sailed well and tracked pretty good in the biggies with no real tendency to bugger off sideways, back in the 80's my old man owned this 36 and it was a real joy to sail https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/3631713149?bof=LvVQs3Fc
Nice boat. But, I do not like that clipper bow at all, Digits. Much prefer the spoon bow on, Forever. Looks like a couple of unfriendly orcas have nibbled the front off. But she's very nice below decks and I've no doubt, no slug.

But speaking of spoon bows, nobody did/does them better than, Des Townson IMO.