Coolboats to admire

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
this is a proper clipper bow, again from mummery

View attachment 533696
Kinda looks OK on that schooner, but again, not done so well, IMO. To illustrate my point, here's two clipper bows from the, Farr Office - Big Red's works a treat (the concave is not overworked) but not so much on NZ Endeavour. She wasn't as fast either!!!
Alt_3525_2_RMSR05_ka_0982.jpg
NZE upwind_3.jpg

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Sail I concur with you regarding the clipper bow.
Philip Rhodes Thunderhead comes to mind it may be a length thing but in my book although a cracker yacht that snout kills the row away factor.
134EBE8C-8B19-48DE-97BE-017C7054AADA.jpeg

5F618909-97B2-43B1-BE17-BFD2057123C3.jpeg

eliboat

Super Anarchist
Clipper bow is bold, and if done right pretty sweet IMO. That boat certainly fits the bill, as does Thunderhead. I don’t include LFH boats in this, as they seem like boats that you would expect a clipper bow on, and therefore it’s just natural.

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Now THIS is a clipper bow:
View attachment 533750

You can thank William Crealock.
We had one of those at the club. Never sailed when I was there. If memory serves the port upper shroud was broken and hanging loose at the side of the mast.

How the mast remained standing with the shrouds hanging loose and not attached to at the chainplates in any way, is a mystery to me. After Sally, she was gone, as was our Getaway.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
We had one of those at the club. Never sailed when I was there. If memory serves the port upper shroud was broken and hanging loose at the side of the mast.

How the mast remained standing with the shrouds hanging loose and not attached to at the chainplates in any way, is a mystery to me. After Sally, she was gone, as was our Getaway.
We had one of those at the club too when I was a kid in the 70s. He would raft up with my dads Venture 24 on over-nighters on the hook. lol.

Another member had another "clipper" styled crap boat from the 70s. The Venture Newport with the sprit and cutter rig. :D
1660280607450.png

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
We had one of those at the club too when I was a kid in the 70s. He would raft up with my dads Venture 24 on over-nighters on the hook. lol.

Another member had another "clipper" styled crap boat from the 70s. The Venture Newport with the sprit and cutter rig. :D
View attachment 533946
Designed by none other than Roger McGregor.
Quite surprised he didn’t carry the trail boards over to the Mac26.

6A9199FF-9850-47DB-8B6A-A3113E2A2F1D.jpeg

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Mind you, Clipper bows look great on a traditional schooner. Example, a sketche of the original Pride of Baltimore. Reports were that she was a real "bitch" to sail, not meant in a kind way. Quite unlike Pride II which by reports is a sweetheart. And then there is the Brigantine "Yankee". Yankee and Finesterre, my two first loves. First loves of a dyslexic child who learned not in school but on the pages of the National Geographic
0DC42459-FF56-4BA1-873D-C0C074C6C724_1_102_o.jpeg

1660306295434.png

Last edited:

accnick

Super Anarchist
Mind you, Clipper bows look great on a traditional schooner. (example sketches of the original Pride of Baltimore. Reports were that she was a real "bitch" to sail, not meant in a kind way. Quite unlike Pride II which by reports is a sweetheart. And then there is the Brigantine "Yankee". Yankee and Finesterre, my two first loves. First loves of a dyslexic child who learned not in school but on the pages of the National Geographic
View attachment 534001

View attachment 533983
Same here. Carleton Mitchell’s articles were collected into several books which I have in my library, as well as several of the original NG magazines.

The Johnsons on their various Yankees were another inspiration.

Not many will remember this, but the Tartan TOCK (Tartan Offshore Cruising Ketch) by S&S in the early 1970s was a scaled-down version of the last S&S-designed Yankee, a shoal-draft ketch.

I was fortunate enough to meet Carleton Mitchell, and spend an afternoon with him on his houseboat cruising near his home in Key Biscayne, just a year before he died.

What giants of sailing and sailing writing both of these men were!

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Same here. Carleton Mitchell’s articles were collected into several books which I have in my library, as well as several of the original NG magazines.

The Johnsons on their various Yankees were another inspiration.

Not many will remember this, but the Tartan TOCK (Tartan Offshore Cruising Ketch) by S&S in the early 1970s was a scaled-down version of the last S&S-designed Yankee, a shoal-draft ketch.

I was fortunate enough to meet Carleton Mitchell, and spend an afternoon with him on his houseboat cruising near his home in Key Biscayne, just a year before he died.

What giants of sailing and sailing writing both of these men were!
Any guy who has a sailing wife named Electra has pinned the cool meter IMO.