Coolboats to admire

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Pastime 1886 originally built with a plumb bow but proved to be bit of a lemon around the race track so became a clipper.

View attachment 534068
Early attempt at a canting keel?

The concept of shifting ballast goes way back. John Stevens (who liked to be called "Commodore" as though it were a naval rank rather than a yacht club office) had a racing cutter named MARIAH ~1840 which had a trolley on rails on her deck, and a system for moving ballast pigs from the bilge up to the trolley and then shifting sides. His biggest contribution was inventing the hull testing tank.

Before that, back in the mid-1700s, there are some references to some racing yachts on the Thames which had weighted spars they would swing to windward.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Just shifting inside ballast. Very popular in open professional racing in the late 1800s, at least in the US.

Think of the sandbaggers, and extend the concept.
Shifting ballast was not legal here in Aotearoa so “fair play men” were exchanged on competing yachts as observers.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
The concept of shifting ballast goes way back. John Stevens (who liked to be called "Commodore" as though it were a naval rank rather than a yacht club office) had a racing cutter named MARIAH ~1840 which had a trolley on rails on her deck, and a system for moving ballast pigs from the bilge up to the trolley and then shifting sides. His biggest contribution was inventing the hull testing tank.

Before that, back in the mid-1700s, there are some references to some racing yachts on the Thames which had weighted spars they would swing to windward.
Commodore is a Naval "role" or "position" but not a Naval Rank. Typically it is when an officer of a rank less than admiral has command of a squadron or a wing, he is called "Commodore." I.e. Commodore of Destroyer Squadron One, or Commodore of Fighter Wing One.

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Commodore is a Naval "role" or "position" but not a Naval Rank. Typically it is when an officer of a rank less than admiral has command of a squadron or a wing, he is called "Commodore." I.e. Commodore of Destroyer Squadron One, or Commodore of Fighter Wing One.
My destroyer was frequently flagship for the Squadron Commander or Commodore, ComDesRon 26, I think he was. In those days (early 70s) the rank of Commodore could be made official in wartime. It would have the following insignia, which is now for a Rear Admiral Lower Half. Back then, it was reserved for "non-existent" Commodores. Poor guys.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 9.06.46 PM.png

Last edited:

kinardly

Super Anarchist
Crash, not that is is relevant to a yachting forum, but I never in my life heard an air wing commander referred to as commodore. It’s always “CAG” as recognition of commanding a carrier air group, which was the term for the aviation component deployed aboard a carrier until the late fifties or sixties. When DOD decided to harmonize terminology with the Air Force, which had different definitions for “wing” and “group” the official term was changed to “Carrier Air Wing“. Naval aviators cling to tradition and often reject the concept that inter service commonality is a virtue. Hence the term “CAG” remains to this day and aviators continue to wear brown shoes. And I’m still pissed they took away the green uniform.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Crash, not that is is relevant to a yachting forum, but I never in my life heard an air wing commander referred to as commodore. It’s always “CAG” as recognition of commanding a carrier air group, which was the term for the aviation component deployed aboard a carrier until the late fifties or sixties. When DOD decided to harmonize terminology with the Air Force, which had different definitions for “wing” and “group” the official term was changed to “Carrier Air Wing“. Naval aviators cling to tradition and often reject the concept that inter service commonality is a virtue. Hence the term “CAG” remains to this day and aviators continue to wear brown shoes. And I’m still pissed they took away the green uniform.
Kinardly you are correct regarding Carrier Air Wing, which are Operational Wings and commanded by the Air Wing Commander (now a Captain, and a Major Command) Type Wings, such as Fighter Wing One, are responsible for readiness, admin, training, and maintenance of a specific type of airplane (F-14 back in my day) were lead by Captains, titled Commodore, and not a major command, typically last job before retiring…

And I agree...I loved me my Aviator Greens!

Last edited:

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
From Quebec? If so saw them yesterday in Long Cove. They picked up a vacant mooring and the wife swam for a looong time. In a bikini no less.
It was. Impressive couple. We didn't meet but crossed paths on the island. They were riding very small folding bikes and were both very fit and about our age (60's). I admired their light tread far from home. We've spent more time in the water than ever this cruise. I've measured 60 to 72F in various harbors. 68 is about when I'll go to escape the heat. 72, I'll linger.