Coolboats to admire

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
Plum Crazy, Miller/Adams 1/2 tonner. Great little boat.
Exactly, fantastic looking vintage half tonner. Pic from their Insta (for proper credit)
Screenshot_20220816-113109_Instagram.jpg

She is wooden, built in 1951. She is still the current Sydney Hobart record holder for boats below 9.5m with 4d 1h 18m.

I really love the cockpit layout with freed up space directly in front of the cockpit. Unusual. Probably wet at times.

Here she is, leading Kialoa II out of Sydney Harbour:
Screenshot_20220816-113714_Chrome.jpg

There is a neat little site dedicated to her history here:
Link

Last edited:
Yup Whangarei.
Nina’s sister Ninita built 2004.

View attachment 533450
Not a lot of crew, tack coming up

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Beluga J32
EDAC9683-6316-40C1-9D03-680272DAA41D.jpeg
9F5E5ADA-8C4C-444F-86EE-2C8209EB637E.jpeg

F64D5601-116B-4BAD-9602-C09BB11410DE.jpeg

Designer Richard Hennevanger about the 32-er:
“There are no words to describe the beauty of the Beluga J32. It doesn’t matter from which angle I look at her, she is in harmony from all sides.”

Hmm upon reflection maybe that stern ain’t so harmonious but overall she comes across as a capable little cruiser.

Some more of Richard’s designs definitely not my cup of tea though.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
I agree. Most likely it was a move from mast-based winches, that was the norm, to leads running aft.
I was looking at it last night at the docks. I thought it (there is only one, starboard of companionway) was the typical mainsheet winch on many boats of that era (mine is rigged that way) that returns the end boom mainsheeting to the mast, via 2 turning blocks, and back to the winch on the house top.

You guys are right, it was an add on that looks as though it is a halyard winch. Oddly, the halyard (if it is a halyard, couldn't tell in the rain), runs through a mast mounted stopper, so maybe it is something else other than a halyard?

I was most interested in how Alden and Cheoy Lee handled the impossible; the extra large windows in the mahogany trunk sides. Like my boat with the large ports, I'm sure there are laminated beams between the glass. But unlike mine, these were not cut into a solid plank. Rather the mahogany between the ports was joined in a rail and stile fashion with an interesting filler at each join (or perhaps this was a later fix,..).

Anyway, the ports are plastic which sort of takes away from it a bit as they have started to haze.

That design era, Alden was into those big ports, and this is the biggest I've seen. Of course they have tons of down sides but if you have lived with them on a boat, and you're not going to do 360's in your sailing, I doubt you'd give them up for the light below and views they afford. But these ports are to the extreme for sure.

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
Beluga J32
View attachment 535217

Designer Richard Hennevanger about the 32-er:
“There are no words to describe the beauty of the Beluga J32. It doesn’t matter from which angle I look at her, she is in harmony from all sides.”
Looks good to me. Very close to the Saffier SC 8m, like the larger sister.
Unfortunately, there is nothing close to a 'new' HR 29 as HR is going full throttle with their 'f*ck them roots, luxury all the way' approach. X-Yacht the same.

Anyway, this comes pretty close to what such a successor could look like in my view. I am not at all surprised that it comes from the realm of Saffier, they are the yard to watch in my opinion. Very good idea to take an existing model / mold, the development costs in this size range are otherwise so high that it becomes very hard to turn it profitable.

accnick

Super Anarchist
I was looking at it last night at the docks. I thought it (there is only one, starboard of companionway) was the typical mainsheet winch on many boats of that era (mine is rigged that way) that returns the end boom mainsheeting to the mast, via 2 turning blocks, and back to the winch on the house top.

You guys are right, it was an add on that looks as though it is a halyard winch. Oddly, the halyard (if it is a halyard, couldn't tell in the rain), runs through a mast mounted stopper, so maybe it is something else other than a halyard?

I was most interested in how Alden and Cheoy Lee handled the impossible; the extra large windows in the mahogany trunk sides. Like my boat with the large ports, I'm sure there are laminated beams between the glass. But unlike mine, these were not cut into a solid plank. Rather the mahogany between the ports was joined in a rail and stile fashion with an interesting filler at each join (or perhaps this was a later fix,..).

Anyway, the ports are plastic which sort of takes away from it a bit as they have started to haze.

That design era, Alden was into those big ports, and this is the biggest I've seen. Of course they have tons of down sides but if you have lived with them on a boat, and you're not going to do 360's in your sailing, I doubt you'd give them up for the light below and views they afford. But these ports are to the extreme for sure.
Alden’s Boothbay Challenger also had huge deckhouse windows. As I recall, these became a big issue during an offshore passage maybe back in the 1970s or 1980s, when the boat was caught offshore in extreme conditions.

Someone here may have a better recollection of that incident. Not sure if it was Sandy Weld’s boat, or another Challenger.

Hukilau

Branford, CT
I'd choose a better name than Beluga - makes me think "fat".
Or at least "chubby".

And it never ceases to amaze me when you're trying to sell a boat, and there are no good photos of the cockpit. That's where I spend 95% of my time aboard, and I'm very interested in what the seats look like, the backrest angles, the sole, etc. All we get with the Beluga is some distance shots and one close up of the mainsheet/traveler arrangement (which I like a lot). A big, safe, comfy cockpit sizzles. Show it if ya got it.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Or at least "chubby".

And it never ceases to amaze me when you're trying to sell a boat, and there are no good photos of the cockpit. That's where I spend 95% of my time aboard, and I'm very interested in what the seats look like, the backrest angles, the sole, etc. All we get with the Beluga is some distance shots and one close up of the mainsheet/traveler arrangement (which I like a lot). A big, safe, comfy cockpit sizzles. Show it if ya got it.
The cockpit appears to have all the right ingredients for a 32, decent depth adequate coamings a storage locker and swing up tiller also possibly a lay down length but as Hukilau says no decent pic’s in any of the sales and marketing.
C78D8C8F-3295-4578-8EF0-7C84B741ACEA.jpeg

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
That mainsheet sweeps the cockpit in a jibe…I prefer a cabin top traveler on a cruiser
You put a cabin top main sheet on Chubby and it would be giving the vang a handjob.
Cruised for many moons on a 32ft with the main sheet at the end of the boom and never got swiped.
A5BED89B-1940-44FB-9D1C-7CC567CED0B5.jpeg

Chubby’s cockpit…
78A8F635-810D-4AB9-A588-739F4D5554FA.jpeg
4AE6889A-C084-4F8B-83B5-EE330EEA07E0.jpeg