Coolboats to admire

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
IMG_3391.JPG

Hukilau

Branford, CT
Forward of the jib winches, the coamings are slanted out at a curiously steep angle making it a not very useful place to sit under any sailing conditions.

Nowhere in the cockpit is there a small niche or cubby hole where a camera or pair of binoculars can be stowed safely.

The Catalina 28 is probably a better boat all around. The Hunter 28 has lots of flaws, but mostly they don't matter much for my use.
The C28 has that weirdly slanted thing on the coamings too. Forget about sitting there; I slipped on it so many times coming off the foredeck that I put some non-skid strips down. Marginally better. There are coaming boxes for the jib sheets and whatnot storage, but they are topped with a teak cover at the coaming top. All of the teak is a quirk of the Mk1 version of the C28. When Catalina did the Mk2 version, they got rid of all of the topside teak (except the hatchway). A Mk2 goes for about double the price of a Mk1, so I have lots of teak to deal with (along with a smaller engine, smaller aft cabin, a slightly different aft hull shape, etc.).

eliboat

Super Anarchist
Actual story after chatting with the captain yesterday is that the current owner requested this after seeing an older picture of her with this look that included Jackie O. No plans for paint or varnish at the moment.
Think she has been wooded and readied for a thousand coats of varnish rather than painted Matagi.
Found these older pics.
View attachment 536262

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Actual story after chatting with the captain yesterday is that the current owner requested this after seeing an older picture of her with this look that included Jackie O. No plans for paint or varnish at the moment.

Couple of grainy screen grabs.
876199CE-486C-44C1-8CC2-33ADCB89FDEA.jpeg
4C809D0D-AE94-40BA-895E-2D459FFA588B.jpeg