Coolboats to admire

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
I can only offer you a cat on a Roomba.
View attachment 540333
1662998437596.png

Bambi and Thumper getting ready to settle some old scores.....

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana

accnick

Super Anarchist
Beautiful boat, and only $1,000,000.00 give or take a few pennies.

Serious question, is an eight year old, 49 foot sailboat really worth $995,000?
Serious answer:

Yes, if it's the right boat. Not saying this one is the right boat, but have a look at what is costs for a new 49' high-quality custom build. There is no reason an eight year old boat cannot be in like-new condition, by the way.

Edit: looking again at the listing, this is a five year old boat, built in 2017, which just reinforces my "yes" answer.

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Serious answer:

Yes, if it's the right boat. Not saying this one is the right boat, but have a look at what is costs for a new 49' high-quality custom build. There is no reason an eight year old boat cannot be in like-new condition, by the way.

Edit: looking again at the listing, this is a five year old boat, built in 2017, which just reinforces my "yes" answer.
Very confusing listing. The initial ad says it is a 2017 boat, but the body of the ad says it was launched in 2014. so, is it a 5 y/o or an 8y/o? When I saw your response, I tried to figure out how I came up with 8 years.

accnick

Super Anarchist
Very confusing listing. The initial ad says it is a 2017 boat, but the body of the ad says it was launched in 2014. so, is it a 5 y/o or an 8y/o? When I saw your response, I tried to figure out how I came up with 8 years.
Blackfish was built in 2017. It says so on her steering wheel hub. She is the boat for sale. Her slightly less racy predecessor was built in 2014.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Beautiful boat, and only $1,000,000.00 give or take a few pennies.

Serious question, is an eight year old, 49 foot sailboat really worth $995,000?
It is, IF you want the design. And therein lies the problem with some overly custom new builds. I've seen a few custom designs go up for sale for pennies on the dollar it took to build them, not many years later.

This one looks like the new buyer will be into the classic boat racing circuit. That's a good market but not a broad one. $$ might be secondary for finding this buyer.

Fleetwood

Sydney, Oz
It is, IF you want the design. And therein lies the problem with some overly custom new builds. I've seen a few custom designs go up for sale for pennies on the dollar it took to build them, not many years later.

This one looks like the new buyer will be into the classic boat racing circuit. That's a good market but not a broad one. $$ might be secondary for finding this buyer.
But that's the definition of custom isn't it? You want something that appeals to the masses, buy a Benny.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
But that's the definition of custom isn't it? You want something that appeals to the masses, buy a Benny.
I agree, but on the question; "Is it worth the price?" Only if somebody else wants to pay that price. But new custom boat owners know that upfront.

Veeger

Super Anarchist
Yep. No one has a custom boat build because they can get it for a 'good price'. They have it built because that's what they WANT!

If a used custom boat is what the next owner WANTS, then it's usually a pretty good price because you won't likely be paying what the original owner paid.

There only seems to be one exception that I can think of. The Tobias 'W' boats such as the W-76, 46, 22's and the 37 or 39'er. They have been for sale for years and always for the same price. (I note, they're still For Sale. Must be a clue there)

Ultimately, every boat ever sold was always 'worth it'. By definition, the sale wouldn't have happened unless it was. Now, ASKING prices are definitely different...

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Yep. No one has a custom boat build because they can get it for a 'good price'. They have it built because that's what they WANT!

If a used custom boat is what the next owner WANTS, then it's usually a pretty good price because you won't likely be paying what the original owner paid.

There only seems to be one exception that I can think of. The Tobias 'W' boats such as the W-76, 46, 22's and the 37 or 39'er. They have been for sale for years and always for the same price. (I note, they're still For Sale. Must be a clue there)

Ultimately, every boat ever sold was always 'worth it'. By definition, the sale wouldn't have happened unless it was. Now, ASKING prices are definitely different...

I've always loved the 'W' boats, but the interiors are just not big enough until you get into the 76. And even then, its about the space of a 40 footer inside. It's too bad, they are gorgeous. They basically are day sailors.