Corona Virus

accnick

Super Anarchist
Right, I would take the "worse" AstraZeneca immediately, and cannot understand why the ones, who are entitled to get it, don't even decline their invitations so that others can move up. This way, the shots are rotting in the fridges, while others are waiting.
This is one reason that those who sign up on multiple waiting lists should try to cancel their positions on other lists once they get a "real" appointment. We can't afford to waste vaccines.

The US is getting better--55 million jabs done (either first or both), or about 17% of the population. This is after a ridiculously slow start just a few months ago.

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Although an mRNA vaccine would be my preference, I will jump at a viral-vector J&J  opportunity too. Whatever comes first! 
It is difficult to compare the efficacy of the various vaccines.  The J&J has some results that indicate that it may not be as effective as the Pfizer or Moderna, but that is misleading.  The P and M vaccines give ~95% in 2 weeks after the second shot (which is 5-6 weeks after you get the first shot).  The J&J is somewhere in the high 60's to high 70's in 2 weeks after the first shot, but it builds into the high 80's in about 4 weeks after the first, and only shot.  So if you look at the efficacy after about 5-6 weeks they are in the range of the P and M vaccines.  Also, the J&J vaccine gives 100% protection to very severe reactions (no deaths) and is know to works agains the South African and Brazilian strains...

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
So far so good accept my arm is very tender the morning after.  I feel fine otherwise.
Update, I am very fatigued.  I feel like I could go to sleep and sleep for a week.  Talking with my wife she felt the same the day after.  Day 2 for her and she is still a bit fatigued but better compared to the day before.  My arm hurts like an SOB when I move it now.

WetHog   :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
It is difficult to compare the efficacy of the various vaccines.

My guess is that I could go up to my local Safeway or Walgreen’s pharmacy today and get a shot. In my state we are past ‘Phase 1B’ which includes ‘if you are in a multigenerational household’ with a person over 70.’ While I don’t actually live with my mother, I’m absolutely certain they’d not question it closely, they want to put jabs into arms as fast as possible. 

To be civic-minded, I will instead wait my proper time in line. 

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Do not lose hope, it will get better once they expand past the first couple of groups.  

In the US they started with the medical professionals and elderly in care facilities.  That took way much longer than it should have because of the inefficiencies in starting up and distributing to all of the care facilities. Now that it has opened up to people over 65 and they have pushed the vaccine out to the local pharmacies, hospitals, etc..  you can make an appointment at Walmart!   Many have waiting lists that you can sign up for and they will contact you when you qualify.  With our disjointed medical system, I signed up for as many waiting lists that I could find....  Got lucky that the local Pharmacy with the first rollout of the J&J had some openings to fill.  It was not like this in the US until Biden came in and made a plan, put strong people in charge and threatened the manufacturers and supply chain with the War Powers Act.  
Oh please. Let’s not pretend Biden came in on his white horse and made everything work properly.  We are talking about the federal government after all. No matter who is in charge it doesn’t become more efficient in the span of 2 months. How about we leave politics out of this discussion?

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Yikes, let us know how long it lasts. edit: do you get to choose which arm? 
Yes I got to choose which arm and being right handed I chose my left.  And it’s a good thing to because I’d have to wipe my ass lefty my arm is that sore.  

I would also recommend against getting a deep tissue massage the same day you get a COVID vaccine.

amc

Anarchist
Auckland
Update, I am very fatigued.  I feel like I could go to sleep and sleep for a week.  Talking with my wife she felt the same the day after.  Day 2 for her and she is still a bit fatigued but better compared to the day before.  My arm hurts like an SOB when I move it now.

I am at day 4. Had exactly the same symptoms as you but all good now. 

rogerfal

Super Anarchist
Cornwall
Right, I would take the "worse" AstraZeneca immediately, and cannot understand why the ones, who are entitled to get it, don't even decline their invitations so that others can move up. This way, the shots are rotting in the fridges, while others are waiting.
Living here in England what I deduce is the EU mandarins / media being down on the UK because we left the EU can't help but lash out at anything British given half a chance. This has probably infected the view of some in mainland Europe.

Being in the 55-60 age group I'm getting a jab on Friday. Don't know which one but very most likely AZ.

It seems far less older people are getting Covid here in recent weeks (about 90% of over 75s have been vaccinated).

Fact is (if I believe our media) the Brits got on with it whilst the EU thought about it.

I didn't vote and like many who didn't thought we would remain.

Anyways hopefully the various vaccines work and get widely distributed around the planet.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland

Thanks for the update WetHog, glad you’re both doing well. My 80 year old neighbour technically broke the lockdown to come into my garden. From a distance he told me he has no idea when he will get the vaccine. Our government promised he and his wife will have it by the end of the month. We will see. 

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Living here in England what I deduce is the EU mandarins / media being down on the UK because we left the EU can't help but lash out at anything British given half a chance. This has probably infected the view of some in mainland Europe.

Being in the 55-60 age group I'm getting a jab on Friday. Don't know which one but very most likely AZ.

It seems far less older people are getting Covid here in recent weeks (about 90% of over 75s have been vaccinated).

Fact is (if I believe our media) the Brits got on with it whilst the EU thought about it.

I didn't vote and like many who didn't thought we would remain.

Anyways hopefully the various vaccines work and get widely distributed around the planet.
I certainly agree that the EU are moaning about the Brits getting the vaccine sooner. Boris took out the chequebook and hoovered up supplies. And the key was that a Venture Capitalist approach, i.e. order from all the manufacturers and some will deliver, and it paid of spectacularly because all of the manufacturers delivered a vaccine. While the EU muppets we’re knitting jumpers (for Mozzy et. el) the UK secured supplies and are delivering vaccines to their people. Well done to the UK. 

Meanwhile, the EU are playing catch-up and it’s sloppy. 

rogerfal

Super Anarchist
Cornwall
This link reports that the EU 27 have 8.68 milion AZ jabs but have only administered 36% of them.

FOR WHY?

Latest posts