Corona Virus

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
We had a major uproar about the right type of syringes.  To some places, they had sent syringes with a lot of dead head space that was causing them to waste vaccine.  They found that by using syringes with no head space, they could get 6 injections out of the 5 injection Pfizer vials (a 20% increase).  
That’s the kind of helpful learnings our GP’s need to hear. Pal of mine in New Jersey had his shot the other day and he told me the booth he was in could do 600 a day. 

accnick

Super Anarchist
In terms of personality they are poles apart. In terms of outcomes for their people not so much.

Americans were promised a $2000 stimulus cheque immediately after Biden assuming power.

Here we are a couple of months on, the amount has dropped (to $1400  think), they have added extra rules to exclude millions of people and there is no sign of when these cheques might arrive.

These are facts dude. You can look this shit up right?

Biden is looking after Biden just like Trump looked after Trump (try googling Hunter Biden).

It's unfortunately human nature that most politicians succumb to eventually.

I would like to believe in that situation I would not likewise succumb, but am enough of a realist to realise I might.
To be clear, this tranche of $1400 is added to the $600 previously received, to make up the $2000 promised. 

The number of people who will receive the total amount has been reduced thanks to pressure from  Republicans and conservative Democrats to lower the phase-out limits.  Ultimately, no Republican senator supported the payments at all, and the most conservative Democratic senator only agreed to support it with the reduced income limits. Biden can only deliver what Congress will let him deliver.

And if you have established direct deposit with the IRS, and qualify under the income limits, you may see the payments beginning in about two weeks.

Your understanding of American politics is superficial at best, cartoonish at worst

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
Was chatting to a GP last night. If you're getting some sort of reaction after getting a vaccine shot - sore arm, bit nauseous, fatigued etc, this is an immune response from your body, which is what you want, and is a good thing, and perfectly normal.

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
In terms of personality they are poles apart. In terms of outcomes for their people not so much.

Americans were promised a $2000 stimulus cheque immediately after Biden assuming power.

Here we are a couple of months on, the amount has dropped (to $1400  think), they have added extra rules to exclude millions of people and there is no sign of when these cheques might arrive.

These are facts dude. You can look this shit up right?

Biden is looking after Biden just like Trump looked after Trump (try googling Hunter Biden).

It's unfortunately human nature that most politicians succumb to eventually.

I would like to believe in that situation I would not likewise succumb, but am enough of a realist to realise I might.
You have no clue.....

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Was chatting to a GP last night. If you're getting some sort of reaction after getting a vaccine shot - sore arm, bit nauseous, fatigued etc, this is an immune response from your body, which is what you want, and is a good thing, and perfectly normal.
Exactly.  the sore throat, fever, etc... is you body reacting to the "pretend" invader.  

Woolfy

Anarchist
Waiheke Island
It will interesting to see at what point NZ might consider admitting folks like me who have been fully vaccinated in other countries (Pfizer, in the US), maybe with something like a negative test on arrival, but no 14-day quarantine.
I think the entire tourism industry in NZ is with you on that.

animeproblem

Super Anarchist
Seattle
My guess is that I could go up to my local Safeway or Walgreen’s pharmacy today and get a shot. In my state we are past ‘Phase 1B’ which includes ‘if you are in a multigenerational household’ with a person over 70.’ While I don’t actually live with my mother, I’m absolutely certain they’d not question it closely, they want to put jabs into arms as fast as possible. 

To be civic-minded, I will instead wait my proper time in line. 
Yeah my approach is similar as well, wait a little while for things to quiet down, I could probably pressure my way into the que a bit by citing the wife's underlying conditions (A-fib, breast cancer survivor, type II diabetes) but frankly things have been pretty stable here just kickin it at home scraping by on my pension.

And actually their is a part of me that thinks my 27 old son who works at Micky D's should be ahead of me, having to hand all those stoners that show up in the middle of the the night there food & such, gotta hand to the kid, when I floated the idea of having him pay my first six months property taxes he didn't even blink!

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
This link reports that the EU 27 have 8.68 milion AZ jabs but have only administered 36% of them.

FOR WHY?
As I described, people are suspicious of the "worse" vaccine. They'd rather wait for a lot longer to get BionTech than get the AZ now. Totally stupid and irresponsible.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
I had heard that NZ order more than enough to vaccinate the total population.
Whilst at the table, NZ Govt proactively negotiated enough for pacific island nations too, and then once secured, notified and invited them in to buy their allocation at cost, not sure which took the opportunity, I suspect most.

It was a bright idea and good to know even in a crisis govt didn't forget our neighbors.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
I get the same sort of reaction from my annual flu jab, for the first 12 hours.
I had a combined flu + tetanus/polio/diphtheria/pertussis shot last year and it really knocked me out for 4 days + 2 days "convalescence". In addition to the sore arms (got one shot in each) , I had fever, enormously high pulse, felt totally wasted. I get that with the flu shot each year, but that combination was worse. So, I'm "looking forward" to the C19 shot... not! But it doesn't matter, as we say in Northern Germany "Wat mutt, dat mutt" (what must be done, must be done).

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Whilst at the table, NZ Govt proactively negotiated enough for pacific island nations too, and then once secured, notified and invited them in to buy their allocation at cost, not sure which took the opportunity, I suspect most.

It was a bright idea and good to know even in a crisis govt didn't forget our neighbors.
:wub:

rantro said:
I like that.

Always interesting to see the efficiency of language.

Four words Vs seven.

EDIT: Is it different in the south?
Translated to standard German it would be "Was muss, das muss", but I don't think that non-Northerners say anything like that at all.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Update, I am very fatigued.  I feel like I could go to sleep and sleep for a week.  Talking with my wife she felt the same the day after.  Day 2 for her and she is still a bit fatigued but better compared to the day before.  My arm hurts like an SOB when I move it now.
Morning of day 3 after getting the J&J shot, I feel pretty damn good.  Slept 9 hours last night.  Arm tender to the touch but I can move my arm and not feel anything.  That was not the case yesterday. 

WetHog   :ph34r:

accnick

Super Anarchist
Morning of day 3 after getting the J&J shot, I feel pretty damn good.  Slept 9 hours last night.  Arm tender to the touch but I can move my arm and not feel anything.  That was not the case yesterday. 

It should get better quickly from here on. Wife and I were lucky in experiencing minimal side effects from the Pfizer. The shingles vaccine, on the other hand, knocked both of us out for a couple of days. 

You never know how you're going to react to a vaccine.

Look at it this way. Chances are that whatever side effects you experience will be a lot less than what might happen if you had the disease.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
It should get better quickly from here on. Wife and I were lucky in experiencing minimal side effects from the Pfizer. The shingles vaccine, on the other hand, knocked both of us out for a couple of days. 

You never know how you're going to react to a vaccine.

Look at it this way. Chances are that whatever side effects you experience will be a lot less than what might happen if you had the disease.
I’ve already had COVID.  Just sharing my experience for those looking to get a vaccine in the future.  

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
As I described, people are suspicious of the "worse" vaccine. They'd rather wait for a lot longer to get BionTech than get the AZ now. Totally stupid and irresponsible.
J&J is also manufacturing the vaccine in the Netherlands.  Just waiting on EU approval.

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
J&J is also manufacturing the vaccine in the Netherlands.  Just waiting on EU approval.
It’s interesting that we in Ireland have the highest percentage of Pharma companies outside of the US. Pity it doesn’t seem to cover vaccines, ventilators yes and Botox and all kinds of medicine but alas knot vaccines. 

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
AZ is still not approved in the US.  Didn’t they mess up the doses in the clinical trials?  Not a good way to instill confidence.

Europe is getting both the Pfizer (BionTech) and Moderna vaccines.

https://www.biopharma-reporter.com/Article/2021/02/18/EU-adds-350-million-COVID-19-vaccine-doses-from-Moderna-Pfizer