Corona Virus

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
It’s interesting that we in Ireland have the highest percentage of Pharma companies outside of the US. Pity it doesn’t seem to cover vaccines, ventilators yes and Botox and all kinds of medicine but alas knot vaccines. 
You know that is just because of your tax laws.  They do not manufacture a lot of products at a HQ that is really just an office to claim residency.   They make those products where all the sick customers live, fortunately it is not Ireland...lol

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
You know that is just because of your tax laws.  They do not manufacture a lot of products at a HQ that is really just an office to claim residency.   They make those products where all the sick customers live, fortunately it is not Ireland...lol
You’re right, it’s the tax laws primarily but manufacturing enjoys a low rate of tax and consequently a lot of medical products are made here. Surprisingly, not vaccines. Well not yet. Maybe soon  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
AZ is still not approved in the US.  Didn’t they mess up the doses in the clinical trials?  Not a good way to instill confidence.

Europe is getting both the Pfizer (BionTech) and Moderna vaccines.

https://www.biopharma-reporter.com/Article/2021/02/18/EU-adds-350-million-COVID-19-vaccine-doses-from-Moderna-Pfizer
We have AZ, BionTech/Pfizer and Moderna in the EU/Ger. All three with a regular approval.
AZ made some really stupid mistakes, first giving a full dose for the first shot, then by accident half a dose (which was more effective), and they did not include >65 agers in their trials. That's why this age group was excluded from getting this vaccine until now.
Fortunately, Scotland made a "real life study" with the >65-year-olds, and Germany also approved AZ for this age group a couple of days ago.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
Whilst at the table, NZ Govt proactively negotiated enough for pacific island nations too, and then once secured, notified and invited them in to buy their allocation at cost, not sure which took the opportunity, I suspect most.

It was a bright idea and good to know even in a crisis govt didn't forget our neighbors.
Actually I was wrong... Govt didn't invite them to buy the vaccines, NZ covered the costs too, likely out of our annual pacific island development assistance budgets (https://www.mfat.govt.nz/en/aid-and-development/our-approach-to-aid/where-our-funding-goes/our-planned-aid-expenditure/).

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/123736995/new-zealand-to-purchase-covid19-vaccines-for-pacific-island-neighbours-including-samoa-and-tonga

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Well good on them. EU did the same for us but hopefully your process will be better than ours. 

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
Same boat, am okay acting like a monk for a month or two longer in safety but desperately want to travel again this year and am praying that ‘vaccine passports’ will become a thing by mid-year for travel to Italy from the US. 
Might be a bit too soon, SR. Today’s forecast is all Italians vaccinated by end of summer

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Morning of day 3 after getting the J&J shot, I feel pretty damn good.  Slept 9 hours last night.  Arm tender to the touch but I can move my arm and not feel anything.  That was not the case yesterday. 
Morning of day 4 and my arm is still tender but I feel fine otherwise.  So my experience with the J&J shot is feeling run down and my arm very painful on day 2.  All good on day 3. 

WetHog   :ph34r:

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Morning of day 4 and my arm is still tender but I feel fine otherwise.  So my experience with the J&J shot is feeling run down and my arm very painful on day 2.  All good on day 3. 

WetHog   :ph34r:
That's very good news WetHog and now you don't need to worry which is even better. I don't know when we will get the J&J vaccine ....the sooner the better.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
That’s the kind of helpful learnings our GP’s need to hear. Pal of mine in New Jersey had his shot the other day and he told me the booth he was in could do 600 a day. 
Mate of mine in Kansas City said that the hospital he is working in has only done 11,000 doses, which seems quite low.

Government here is saying mass roll out won't start till 2nd half of this year, which is crazy.

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Mate of mine in Kansas City said that the hospital he is working in has only done 11,000 doses, which seems quite low.

Government here is saying mass roll out won't start till 2nd half of this year, which is crazy.
That’s a bit slow but then you’re in a very good position relative to some of us. 

AZ is still not approved in the US.  Didn’t they mess up the doses in the clinical trials?  Not a good way to instill confidence.
As I understand it this was a sub study looking at dose finding but the reporting was messed up.  It's a v good thing to learn that a small dose followed by a bigger one is more efficacious.

Also wouldn't read too much in things not registered in the US.  There are many many areas of medicine where the FDA make some truly bonkers decisions for and against things...

Was chatting to a GP last night. If you're getting some sort of reaction after getting a vaccine shot - sore arm, bit nauseous, fatigued etc, this is an immune response from your body, which is what you want, and is a good thing, and perfectly normal.
This!!  Anyone who has the extra symptoms, rejoice!  You're immune system is going all the way out against the proteins expressed which is exactly what you want.