Corona Virus

Gissie

Super Anarchist
I think you're forgetting interest rates are still at historic lows. Equities tanked because of the virus, so people invested in property. The same has happened here in Oz. Prices in my area have shot up around 30% - great for us home owners, but the rental market has gone to shit forcing many out of the area. I don't think you can blame Jacinda for this, the same that I don't blame Scomo - even though I loath him.
The housing market was out of control 4 years ago when Jacinda to over. It was one of the main areas she wanted to deal with in her 'transformational' government. Since then prices have just carried on in an insane manner. This was exasperated by, firstly, it being a tax free investment. Secondly was the billions dumped into the economy with housing the only realistic target.

Another problem is the government subsidy involved. One million a day to emergency housing. Twelve million a day to help people pay ever growing rents.

So, yes I do blame Jacinda. She certainly was not involved when the problem started, but in four years and now with a one party majority, she has shown she has no intention of dealing with the problem. For all her cries of be kind and thoughtful, she has abandoned a generation of the lower half of our society to the slag heap.

I hope her name with be treated with contempt in the future. In reality she will lose and move on to a cushy posting at the UN.

trt131

Super Anarchist
In reality she will lose and move on to a cushy posting at the UN.
The UN is a toothless tiger now.  It has just turned into a left wing talk fest.  Look whats happened in Afghanistan.  All those UN aid workers left but where is the UN, no where to be seen.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
The UN is a toothless tiger now.  It has just turned into a left wing talk fest.  Look whats happened in Afghanistan.  All those UN aid workers left but where is the UN, no where to be seen.
Which would suit her perfectly. She could pontificate to the masses, asking them to be kind and thoughtful. All while pocketing a large salary. Pity they don't headhunt her now.

trt131

Super Anarchist
Which would suit her perfectly. She could pontificate to the masses, asking them to be kind and thoughtful. All while pocketing a large salary. Pity they don't headhunt her now.
I am sure she sees herself as the next Secretary General

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
In regards to 2 years from now for AC37? I wouldn't dare predict.

In regard to 3 months from now when the pathways start? Here are some considerations that indicate the US and some EU countries may have some more work to do https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/300380363/covid19-travel-which-overseas-destinations-could-kiwis-visit-in-2022
You are dumb aren't you ?

So Jacinda should begin with most vaccinated countries which are Malta and Iceland, isn't it ? Well Iceland number of cases are exploding now more than any other place in the world.

And if you think a vaccinated person living NZ has no chance of getting the virus you are clueless.

Why don't you stick to your orginal idea to close NZ for each one new case in the population ? How many years ? Dumb.

Capture.PNG

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Agree with some posts above about Ireland or Valencia ever ratifying anything by Sep 17 but I hope Jeddah doesn't get GD's choice because until that culture changes (1000 years from now, maybe?) I have absolutely ZERO interest in going anywhere near it, let alone in indirectly supporting some medieval Madras movement there. Let them be to their own culture but I want no part of it.
I spent a few weeks in Saudi on work. I'm pleased to have had the experience but have no intention of repeating it. It's the most brutally hierarchical society I could imagine. As a western male expat, life was quite good. The Lebanese food is fantastic if you like it and I do. People fret about the alcohol aspect but actually in the western expat compounds, it is freely available and a case of just be careful, don't ask/don't tell.   

But the mostly Bangladeshi male workers are in effect slaves, at least for the term of their contracts, which means several years. They cannot leave the country without their sponsor's permission, which is in general not granted because the sponsor paid their travel costs and wants their money's worth. For the Philippine women who do much of the domestic and similar work it is even worse, because they have both the sub-status of their expat labouring class and their gender. In some cases they are certainly assumed to be sexually available on demand to high-status employers. The stories on that are legion.

I've never been so pleased to leave somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
You are dumb aren't you ?

So Jacinda should begin with most vaccinated countries which are Malta and Iceland, isn't it ? Well Iceland number of cases are exploding now more than any other place in the world.

And if you think a vaccinated person living NZ has no chance of getting the virus you are clueless.

Why don't you stick to your orginal idea to close NZ for each one new case in the population ? How many years ? Dumb.

View attachment 459297
I'm not the first to note how genuinely sad it has been too witness you drift from a feisty anarchist arguing about sailing to now just exclusively trolling covid threads - and wierdly obsessing about what a tiny county on the other side of the world is doing.

You are cooked mate, grab that tornado and go enjoy yourself for a bit - it will do you some good - seriously, you don't appear in a good space atm.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I spent a few weeks in Saudi on work. I'm pleased to have had the experience but have no intention of repeating it. It's the most brutally hierarchical society I could imagine. As a western male expat, life was quite good. The Lebanese food is fantastic if you like it and I do. People fret about the alcohol aspect but actually in the western expat compounds, it is freely available and a case of just be careful, don't ask/don't tell.   

But the mostly Bangladeshi male workers are in effect slaves, at least for the term of their contracts, which means several years. They cannot leave the country without their sponsor's permission, which is in general not granted because the sponsor paid their travel costs and wants their money's worth. For the Philippine women who do much of the domestic and similar work it is even worse, because they have both the sub-status of their expat labouring class and their gender. In some cases they are certainly assumed to be sexually available on demand to high-status employers. The stories on that are legion.

I've never been so pleased to leave somewhere.
I don't think it will be Jeddah dogwatch BUT I do think it could be Doha, Dubai or Abu Dhabi. All 3 Cities have Major Airliners. So if Emirates is out as Sponsor maybe Dalts has signed on with one of the other two Airliners in the Arabian Peninsula.

EMIRATES Home Port = Dubai

QATAR AIRWAYS Home Port = Doha

ETIHAD AIRWAYS Home Port = Abu Dhabi

At this Point I am pretty convinced that Auckland is OUT despite the desperate attempts by some Kiwis here that it still is a viable Option.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
I am sure she sees herself as the next Secretary General
As the requirement for SG is to be a talking head that achieves nothing, mouths platitudes and upsets no one (especially undemocratic countries) she would make a good one.

Forgot one - good at spending other people's money on those that expect more.

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Let me give you some real life experience.

I am fully vaccinated and have just recovered from Covid-19 this morning (negative test result). It was 10 days of a bad head cold with fever, aches, runny nose and headaches. I got it from my wife (vaccinated) who got it from our grandkid (not vaccinated) who got it from a small, in-laws family gathering that was outside (we did not attend). So far about a dozen vaccinated people (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J) have gotten it from this one gathering.  We were vaccinated with the one shot J&J back in March.

My conclusions are that the vaccines kept it to a head cold, but the new Delta variation will get you if you have prolonged contact with an infected person (grandkid had slept over at out house). The Delta variant is as contagious as chickenpox. Vaccinated people are getting the Delta variant, but most are staying out of the hospital. Everyone that I know that was vaccinated had it for about 10 days with the same head cold symptoms.  

Here in the US, >95% of the people who require hospitalization are unvaccinated.

This is not meant to be a bummer about the vaccine, but instead to show the vaccines removed the greatest health risks from the virus.  Pfizer and modern are currently testing vaccine modifications that are more effective in preventing infections from the new virus variants.  Testing shows that a "booster shot" 8 month after the final shot of the current vaccines can boost antibodies 10-fold.  

Getting the vaccine gives you protection!

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
Let me give you some real life experience.

I am fully vaccinated and have just recovered from Covid-19 this morning (negative test result). It was 10 days of a bad head cold with fever, aches, runny nose and headaches. I got it from my wife (vaccinated) who got it from our grandkid (not vaccinated) who got it from a small, in-laws family gathering that was outside (we did not attend). So far about a dozen vaccinated people (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J) have gotten it from this one gathering.  We were vaccinated with the one shot J&J back in March.

My conclusions are that the vaccines kept it to a head cold, but the new Delta variation will get you if you have prolonged contact with an infected person (grandkid had slept over at out house). The Delta variant is as contagious as chickenpox. Vaccinated people are getting the Delta variant, but most are staying out of the hospital. Everyone that I know that was vaccinated had it for about 10 days with the same head cold symptoms.  

Here in the US, >95% of the people who require hospitalization are unvaccinated.

This is not meant to be a bummer about the vaccine, but instead to show the vaccines removed the greatest health risks from the virus.  Pfizer and modern are currently testing vaccine modifications that are more effective in preventing infections from the new virus variants.  Testing shows that a "booster shot" 8 month after the final shot of the current vaccines can boost antibodies 10-fold.  

Getting the vaccine gives you protection!
The good news is that now that supply isn't constrained, NZ is beating vaccine records just about every day. Yesterday, despite lockdown there were over 83,000 done in that one day. We have just under 5m vaccines to deliver to have fully vaccinated 4m of the population so at our current rate we'd be complete in 8 weeks. But maybe we can go even faster!

We've just had another big spike in supply

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 5.15.50 PM.png

And we've nowhere near tapped out our trained vaccinators

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 5.15.41 PM.png

Source: https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-vaccine-data

One good thing with lockdown is there isn't much else to get in the way of going and out and getting the vaccine :-D

Last edited by a moderator:

Gissie

Super Anarchist
When asked about the fact NZ is likely to run out of vaccine, our intrepid leader, St Jacinda came out with this pearler:

“It’s not a matter of running out [of the vaccine], it’s a matter of whether or not we are in a position of where we need to have a little less demand.”

Orwell would have been proud of her.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
When asked about the fact NZ is likely to run out of vaccine, our intrepid leader, St Jacinda came out with this pearler:

“It’s not a matter of running out [of the vaccine], it’s a matter of whether or not we are in a position of where we need to have a little less demand.”

Yeah it was Kafkaesque... having said that, she tried (still badly) to clarify this morning. Basically we are accellerating vaccination rate well beyond the original plan, if they start to run low (out!), they will retreat to original planned rate until more arrives.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg

Gissie,

The only reason NZ can keep the C19 Elimination Strategy is simply because the Country is basically at the end of the World and only has 5.3 to 5.5 Million People at most.

Now compare that to New South Wales in Australia which has per Wikipedia 8.3 Million and 5.3 of them living in Sydney or the Greater Sydney Area alone.

NZ will have to adopt a similar strategy to everyone else once they opening their borders again.

The person here on SA which I feel the most for is @Horn Rock! He basically has to live in a lockdown for almost 3 months now. Not very funny I can tell you that!

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Yeah it was Kafkaesque... having said that, she tried (still badly) to clarify this morning. Basically we are accellerating vaccination rate well beyond the original plan, if they start to run low (out!), they will retreat to original planned rate until more arrives.
Never saw her trying to explain such an asinine comment, try not to watch her sickening, syrupy performances. Be kind and thoughtful, like most Kiwis aren't and need to be treated like children.

As for the original plan, itwas simply asking DHBs what they thought they could do and so they set low, easy to achieve numbers. Then they all crowed each day about how amazing it was that they got to hit such low targets. 

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Gissie,

The only reason NZ can keep the C19 Elimination Strategy is simply because the Country is basically at the end of the World and only has 5.3 to 5.5 Million People at most.

Now compare that to New South Wales in Australia which has per Wikipedia 8.3 Million and 5.3 of them living in Sydney or the Greater Sydney Area alone.

NZ will have to adopt a similar strategy to everyone else once they opening their borders again.

The person here on SA which I feel the most for is @Horn Rock! He basically has to live in a lockdown for almost 3 months now. Not very funny I can tell you that!
The continuing commitment to elimination could well bite the government in the arse. Getting to a point where they are scared to back off as it would require such obvious newspeak that even the blind believers would find it hard to swallow.

Or they could admit to making a mistake. :lol: Yeah right. Like our vaccine shortage is only caused because people want a vaccine. If only people stopped getting them we would have plenty of supply. :lol:

Sadly most Kiwis are content to accept such spin and make excuses for it.

Latest posts