Corsair 28 Center Cockpit (Cruising Version)?

Shu

Super Anarchist
My wife likes the looks of this. I have been a monohull sailor all my life, but have been sailing I-14's for the past 9 years, so I think I get the whole apparent wind thing and staying in the back of the bus. How do these do in open water and big seas? What do I look out for in a used one? Can you really set one up from trailering to sailing in 30 minutes?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Shu - I think it's a good call - if you don't mind the interior sizing. smallish...

I've been on an F27 in really nasty stuff double-handed - reefing was oh-so-simple - and it didn't creak, grown, etc. Really solid. Much, much more solid feel than either my Multi23 or the Contour34 I had - neither of which were built to take SF Bay. The Corsair 27 handles it with ease.

Never been on a 28

lasal

Super Anarchist
Denver
Shu: The R2AK videos of the tris ripping along oh so smoothly are sick. The trailerability just adds to the sickness. It was funny when Trillium's tracker pinged the satellite south of Portland at 52 knots. If it pinged while at 25 knots I would have had to zoom in and make sure they weren't playing in the Gorge.

Shu

Super Anarchist
Raz'r: I think I'm starting to understand my wife's preferences in a boat. The thing she doesn't like is feeling cramped on top of the boat. A cozy interior is ok. The idea of being able to loll about on that nice wide, stable platform at anchor is what appeals to her.

Lasal: Seeing those R2AK videos made me think I would like these tris. The motion doesn't look that much different than a lightweight keel boat; they just don't heel very much. And the hulls are narrow, so I suspect slamming is not an issue.

Shu

Super Anarchist
So does anyone have advice regarding what weaknesses to look out for in used Corsair trimarans?

Wess

Super Anarchist
So does anyone have advice regarding what weaknesses to look out for in used Corsair trimarans?
First get an F27 rather than an F28. Half the price and 90% of the speed. Same comfort.

Second join the Yahoo forum for Corsair boats. Buying guides there to detail all the potential issues. Boats are pretty bulletproof. Great design and great builder.

PM me if you need for info.

Tomfl

My wife likes the looks of this. I have been a monohull sailor all my life, but have been sailing I-14's for the past 9 years, so I think I get the whole apparent wind thing and staying in the back of the bus. How do these do in open water and big seas? What do I look out for in a used one? Can you really set one up from trailering to sailing in 30 minutes?
Most well designed multihulls, including the Fboats, are sensitive to wind and wave direction in terms of what I will call comfort. Some points of sail with waves in a certain direction will produce a very uncomfortable ride. This is especially true going to windward. Many monohull guys seem to try and pinch a multihull more than they should and the boat slams, hobby horses, and gets uncomfortable. Lots of experienced multihull guys will advise to fall off 5 or 10 degrees. The slamming stops, the ride gets a lot more comfortable, and the increased speed often makes up for the extra distance covered. I have never sailed on an Fboat with a center cockpit; but I have been on a C24, C27, and C31. They can get wet in part because of the speed even in somewhat small waves.

Ian had a web page or something about what to look for in buying a used Corsair. Maybe someone else can chime in with a link. Yahoo group is where this is.

I doubt 30 minutes to put together or take apart is realistic if the boat was moved any distance. Especially for a long haul most folks secure things more soundly than if the boat is stored mast up on a trailer at a local marina. Certainly 60 minutes is doable after you have done it a few times and especially if you have an extra set of hands to help. The thing is the big steps like raising the mast and extending the amas are almost trivial. But the standing and running rigging and sails need to be secure, especially going to windward at 55mph. This is what takes the real time, but once you have done it a few times things go more quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wess

Super Anarchist
Not sure I agree w Tomfla on all points. I own and have raced sailed an F27 extensively; never found a condition where I was not more comfortable (and drier) on the multi than a mono.

They do not have load carrying capacity of similar monohull though. Oh and you absolutely do want a screecher and asym. But the center cockpit is constrained and becomes a spaghetti factory times 10 over without good line handling tricks.

Agree w Tom that can do on/off the trailer in 30 minutes for cross town drive. Its an hour to prep for cross state. Time 2 or 3 till you get experience.

Wess

Super Anarchist
Not sure I agree w Tomfla on all points. I own and have raced sailed an F27 extensively; never found a condition where I was not more comfortable (and drier) on the multi than a mono.

SNIP.
Not sure where I said that.
Sorry if I misunderstood you.

I was reacting to "Fboats, are sensitive to wind and wave direction in terms of what I will call comfort. Some points of sail with waves in a certain direction will produce a very uncomfortable ride. This is especially true going to windward... the boat slams, hobby horses, and gets uncomfortable."

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Probably the only surprise I had was the occasional slap wave from the leeward aft cross beam hitting a wave top

Shu

Super Anarchist
How does one go about getting a ride on one without buying it first? I've inquired a few times with dealers in recent months, and they won't do a test sail except as a "sea trial" after you've signed a sales agreement. I guess this is why we have the production monohulls like Hunters and Beneteaus, that are nothing more than floating condos. You don't get to actually test sail them, you buy them based on the at-the-dock comfort of the interior and cockpit. I will stop now before I get too worked up.

Shu

Super Anarchist
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I even got a PM from the man himself (Ian) with links to the Yahoo Group and an owner's webpage.

Wess

Super Anarchist
How does one go about getting a ride on one without buying it first? I've inquired a few times with dealers in recent months, and they won't do a test sail except as a "sea trial" after you've signed a sales agreement. I guess this is why we have the production monohulls like Hunters and Beneteaus, that are nothing more than floating condos. You don't get to actually test sail them, you buy them based on the at-the-dock comfort of the interior and cockpit. I will stop now before I get too worked up.
Yea that is hard. When I was selling I turned folks away all the time not wanting to deal w tire kickers like the dealers. Where are you? Maybe go crew for a boat that races...

Shu

Super Anarchist
If I can't kick the tires, I'm not going to buy.

I'll try the crewing thing, though I really want to get my wife out on one, and she's not really going to want to crew...

Multihauler

Anarchist
Raz'r and myself on a particularly snotty day on S.F. Bay:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/58557323

....also, a shot of a F-27 rear beam doing it's wave-decapitation thing:

tsrearbeamsplash.png

Cheers!!!

-MH